Warning: fanboy blog clickbait (was iphone6 and samsung s6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apples to Bananas or Apples to Strawberries. Pears are not nice.

Don't you have better comparisons including other products from HTC, LG, Sony, Lenovo, etc ?

btw you can force 4xmsaa on android. Depending on the game and hardware, it can have zero noticable hit on performance.

i say "noticable performance" because i dont have fraps on my xperia sp

Wow, GTA looks really low-res on the S6, and it's not supposed to.
The game's options have a slider where you can render the game up to the device's native resolution.
Given how the Galaxy S6 has approximately 4x the resolution of the iphone 6, that comparison picture shows that he lowered that slider to less than a quarter of the native resolution.

Is it possible that you need to lower quality more because of the additional bandwidth and memory requirements of having 4x as many pixels? Or isn't that needed on the S6 and can the upscaling be done without any overhead, and is this just really a faulty comparison.

Is it possible that you need to lower quality more because of the additional bandwidth and memory requirements of having 4x as many pixels?

I believe that's GTA San Andreas, which uses GTA III's engine from 2001. By the time San Andreas was released (2004), the top performer was the Radeon 9800, together with Athlon XP and Pentium 4 single-cores.

I can play GTA III maxed out in my HTC One with a Snapdragon 600 at 1920*1080, so I find it difficult to believe an Exynos 7420 - which is about 4x faster than S600 and has ~3x more bandwidth - would need to reduce the resolution so much (obviously lower than iphone's 740p) to get a good performance.

Or maybe it is in conserve energy mode? Don't the new models have that?

yeah you need to hack around to enable the full performance in older galaxy. Dunno how it works in S6.

I believe that's GTA San Andreas, which uses GTA III's engine from 2001. By the time San Andreas was released (2004), the top performer was the Radeon 9800, together with Athlon XP and Pentium 4 single-cores.

I can play GTA III maxed out in my HTC One with a Snapdragon 600 at 1920*1080, so I find it difficult to believe an Exynos 7420 - which is about 4x faster than S600 and has ~3x more bandwidth - would need to reduce the resolution so much (obviously lower than iphone's 740p) to get a good performance.
It really sounds like the content simply hasn't been re-purposed for newer (and more capable) Android devices whilst it very likely has for the iPhones where pretty much the developer is forced to.

What I am failing to understand is whether this comparison has anything to do with the underlying technology that the blog implies. To me it appears it's actually comparing versions of a game on two different OS's and platforms where the developer has made choices on Android to ensure it works on a broader range of devices.

Having a look at the full set of screenshots on gamebench website, As Rurouni points out the author as definitely been selective with what looks better on iphone.

It really sounds like the content simply hasn't been re-purposed for newer (and more capable) Android devices whilst it very likely has for the iPhones where pretty much the developer is forced to.

The Android game detects the device's native resolution and the graphics options part has a slider where you can choose what percentage of that resolution you want to use.
If both my tablet and my phone can render GTA III for Android at 1920*1080, then I'm pretty sure the Galaxy S6 could render it at 2560*1440.

Here you are:

DIa43lb.png

That is not even worse discussing, Mali-T7xx supports FP32 calculations, they also support lossless texture compression, and so on. The guy is playing a F*****g stupid fan war between Apple and Samsung, whereas neither these brands are responsible for the compared merits (whom the guy purposefully misrepresents...) of PowerVR and ARM products.

It bothers me that I gave that guy's blog a click...

Since I was in the market for a new phone, I've been looking into this, and although for non-performance reasons I went with the Apple, it struck me that the iPhone has 1GB and the Samsung has 3GB. That's quite a big difference ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back