Warhammer vs Mass Effect as a proxy for Indie vs AAA

Not sure if this would have been a fit for the console gaming forum, so I'm just sticking it here since I think it's an interesting take on something that is related to some things that I've been hearing from developers WRT development budgets, risk, creative freedom (or lack thereof), quality, etc...

Synopsis: The video basically talks about their take on large well produced titles (like his beloved ME franchise) with huge budgets versus smaller budget titles with varying production quality (Warhammer franchise).

It's easy to see this extended out to AAA versus Indie (maybe even extended into AA) or something like Steam versus a curated storefront.

AAA games are generally going to have greater production value and more consistent quality. However, the release cadence will be slow, the number of genres will be limited, and experimentation is now almost nonexistent. The ratio of "good" games versus "crap" games will be fairly large. However, the few good games you get will generally feel kind of same-y (See open world UBIsoft style/forumla games as an example). Safety is the key word for this type of development.

Indie games are generally going to have significantly greater variety with many tiles spread across an almost infinite spectrum of genres, sub-genres and experimentation within genres or even across genres or even just mashing multiple genres together. However, production quality will be greatly variable. The ratio of "good" games versus "crap" games will be pretty small. However, there will be a huge variety in genres, sub-genres and experimental genres within that group of good games. Those at times will lead to a AAA developer/producer incorporating those elements into a AAA game now that it's deemed to be somewhat "safe". Anything freaking goes is the motto for this type of development.

Regards,
SB

Back