War of the Worlds

pax

Newcomer
4-5 stars I thought it was pretty damn good.

Only had 2 things I thought annoying... Tom Robbins character a bit cliche and in the ending I was expecting something else.

See it in a good dts sound theater... awesome production values.

pax said:
4-5 stars I thought it was pretty damn good.

Only had 2 things I thought annoying... Tom Robbins character a bit cliche and in the ending I was expecting something else.

See it in a good dts sound theater... awesome production values.

It's a trilogy right?

So i expect this one to finish leaving me a "so now what..." kind of feeling, like the LOTR trilogy...

With the second being a fill-in, while the third being the proper full-blown conclusion.

eh , i'm going to see it friday as i should be able to walk around at htat point . Anyway i'm not a fan of tom . But hopefully its good

london-boy said:
silence said:
trilogy?....grrrrr......

I'm sure i heard it is a trilogy... If you've seen it, i think it would show, right?

If it is vaguely like the book, it's not a trilogy. You've read the book, right? It was written at a time when people thought they were (through the use of industry and science) becoming powerful, able to do things previously the preserve of God. The Martians come and wipe all that superiority away, and in the end it's God and one of his modest creations that saves the human race from destruction.
Without that core message, you might as well watch Independence Day.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:
silence said:
trilogy?....grrrrr......

I'm sure i heard it is a trilogy... If you've seen it, i think it would show, right?

If it is vaguely like the book, it's not a trilogy. You've read the book, right? It was written at a time when people thought they were (through the use of industry and science) becoming powerful, able to do things previously the preserve of God. The Martians come and wipe all that superiority away, and in the end it's God and one of his modest creations that saves the human race from destruction.
Without that core message, you might as well watch Independece Day.

No i havent read the book, if you say it's worth reading, i'll read that before the book, cause i HATE reading books after having seen the movie, i keep connecting what i read to what i saw and i can't use my imagination. half the time i'm distracted by the stuff i saw in the movie and it interferes with what my imagination is trying to tell me through the words. A complete mess in the end.

I believe the "trilogy" rumors are just that--rumors. (Especially since everything big is in multiple parts anymore. :p )

While there's probably nothing stopping people from sequelling it, I don't think that's what Spielberg had in mind, and I don't think he'd be satisfied revisiting material like that after he's done it once already. He tends to not sequel, his plate is pretty full already, and one of the few things he DOES do sequels to is upcoming. (Mmm... Indy 4...)

Of course there's nothing stopping him from letting WotW followups go to other directors, other cast members, etc. and just have producer credit on it (and perhaps a bit of vision input). There are other stories that could be told, and if WotW does well enough... SOMEONE'S going to want to tell even a half-assed one for a quick buck. ;)

I'm waiting for Schindler's List II, myself: Schindler's Zombie versus Hitler's Brain!

london-boy said:
No i havent read the book, if you say it's worth reading, i'll read that before the book, cause i HATE reading books after having seen the movie, i keep connecting what i read to what i saw and i can't use my imagination. half the time i'm distracted by the stuff i saw in the movie and it interferes with what my imagination is trying to tell me through the words. A complete mess in the end.

Read the book. I'm not a great fan of HG Wells. His victorian gentleman persona that seems to comes across in his books is often annoying, especially from the viewpoint of a techno-savvy world citizen living in the twenty-first century, but WOTW actually resonates quite well as sort of Victorian steampunk adventure. I found it surprisingly good.

Of course Speilberg hasn't remade the book, he's just taken the premise and concepts, and then bastardised them into a modern action film. Key events like the destruction of the Thunderchild have been taken and are seen in the film as the destruction of a liner or ferry boat, the Martians use tripod war machines, have heat rays, etc, but the whole thing has been "reimagined" to put it into modern day America. Tom Cruise is trying to keep his estranged children alive, rather than the book's protagonist trying to find his fiancee in Victorian England, etc.

Also, (and I know this sounds silly) after you've read the book, give a listen to the unabridged "Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds". A musical version that is surprisingly faithful to the books, this was a massive hit when it came out as a direct kickback against the punk movement. There's something desperately haunting about it that corresponds to the book, and parts (like the Richard Burton narration and the sound of the Martian fighting machines) are just incredibly evocative. It's kind of like science fiction muscal theatre.

While a sequel I guess is possible, I doubt there will be a trilogy especially the way it ended.

I just got back from seeing it. I give it 7/10. It was good, but some things about that movie gave me the shits.

nutball said:
Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
but the whole thing has been "reimagined" to put it into modern day America.

Hehe, lol. Well, I guess I won't be going to see it then.

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say if it's a good or bad film. I can just say it's not a film version of the book, more like a film "inspired by" the book.

london-boy said:
Andy said:
It was good, but some things about that movie gave me the shits.

.... explain?

Okay but if you havent seen it and are likely to, do not keep reading!

* Spoilers alert! Spoilers alert! *

1) The ending was a bit weak in my personal opinion, there also should have been more carnage of the tripods in the end, and more humans getting exterminated etc.

2) The scenes with Tim Robbins! Tim Robbins pretty much saves Tom cruise's character and his daughter, and Tom Cruise pretty much thanks him for saving his life by killing him. Wow what a great role model! :rolleyes:

3) Tom Cruise singing. Need I say more!

* /Spoilers alert! /Spoilers alert! *

John Reynolds said:
epicstruggle said:
I only wish I had his head of hair. :( Mine sucks.
Wanna look at a pic of me and complain? 8)
Hey that's funny! I have to go to the barber's quite often to get my hair thinned (instead of just cut), because it just gets so thick sometimes that I look messy.

You see that's funny because... er... guys? Guys?!

/runs

Back