w00t!

Hello!! Who says a little judicious whining can't get the job done?

Hi fives Pascal and Serenity! Woot!

Thanks, Wavey. . .

Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had $1k to buy a Vizio L32.

But you, digitalwanderer, should buy a new monitor before anything else.

Crusher said:
Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had $1k to buy a Vizio L32.

I dunno --is a 32" WS even bigger than a 27" 4:3 if you are watching a 4:3 source, which is still the vast majority of TV? I haven't done the math, I'm totally going on my own unreasonable and uninformed biases. :D

I'd like a 40-42" second one for my office, to go with the 62" Mits DLP upstairs in the living room.

A 32" 16:9 screen is about the same height as a 27" 4:3 screen, but wider of course. So regular 4:3 programs will be about the same size (if you don't stretch them), while widescreen content will obviously be much larger than letterboxed on a 27".

Of course, if you can afford a larger screen, go for it... but keep in mind you'll probably just be paying for larger crystals, as I don't think many LCD TVs support more than about 720p for a max resolution. The size of the screen should be a balance between your wallet and the distance you will be sitting from it.

Crusher said:
Yeah, but it won't happen. The HDTV is for the whole family so it would be cool, but the monitor is just a self-indulgence so it's not. :(

Fear not, I'm in a campaign of letter writing looking for a fre....I mean offering to review some. ;)

What kind of HDTV should you get?

Depends on several factors:

• Budget
  • Distance you sit from the set (this also impacts screen size)
  • How much SD programming you watch (as many sets do NOT display SD very well)
  • Environmental lighting conditions - i.e. do you watch TV in a room with a good amount of light or do you prefer dark like movie theaters?
  • Personal preference - some like more vivid colors which "pops" off of the screen, others prefer a more neutal look
  • Need/desire to hook up to a HTPC - this will help to prioritize resolution

I'm mainly getting the HDTV for the Xbox360. I think we sit about 6-10 feet from our set with our current living room set-up.

I'd be running a line from my PC to it too, I'm assuming I could make some good things hapoen that way.

Crusher said:
A 32" 16:9 screen is about the same height as a 27" 4:3 screen, but wider of course. So regular 4:3 programs will be about the same size (if you don't stretch them), while widescreen content will obviously be much larger than letterboxed on a 27".

Of course, if you can afford a larger screen, go for it... but keep in mind you'll probably just be paying for larger crystals, as I don't think many LCD TVs support more than about 720p for a max resolution. The size of the screen should be a balance between your wallet and the distance you will be sitting from it.

Well, stretch is Pure Evil, on the order of the Designated Hitter rule in baseball and the Offside rule in s/o/c/c/e/r football. ;)

But, yeah, I'm too far from the 27" TV in my office and want something bigger anyway.

Leadtek Winfast DTV1000 T.
It has absolutely lovely performance and image quality.
I bought it for $115 AUD.

You can also connect stuff into it such as VHS, TV, etc...

Thanks Dave for the new forum :D

A 25" 16:9 HDTV has the same size of a widescreen dvd content letterboxed in a 29" 4:3 TV.

My personal preference is medium to small angle of view. I dont like too much eye movement, then IMHO for up to 8 feet distance a good 26" HDTV is acceptable.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm mainly getting the HDTV for the Xbox360. I think we sit about 6-10 feet from our set with our current living room set-up.

I'd be running a line from my PC to it too, I'm assuming I could make some good things hapoen that way.

You'll want to measure just how far you really are going to sit as this will impact some picture quality issues.

For instance, Plasmas (and LCDs to a lesser degree) have something called SDE (screen door effect) that is visible depending seating distance and your own personal sensitivity to it.

Frankly, the best thing you can do is head on down to BestBuy, Tweeter, etc to see for yourself. Bring your tape measure and step back from the sets until you're at the same distance you'll sit at. Then you can figure out how big a screen you need/want. And you'll also notice PQ issues like the aforementioned SDE (which DLP does NOT suffer from - but they suffer from poor vertical viewing angle).

I would caution you, however, to know that the way they display their sets probably will not show you which set has the best image. This is because the signal they often feed into their sets is split a zillion times. In addition the sets are not calibrated properly and may in fact be in torch mode which basically relies on showing over saturated colors and passing this off as "vivid" and "breath taking".

But in the end, you may not be as discriminating as myself - which is totally fine. You are the ultimate judge of what you buy.

NEW FORUM!! NEW FORUM!!

Dig, i'd love to help you but you guys have different sets than in the UK. Not totally different, but u guys have more choice to begin with and totally different prices. :D

Since you apparently have no limitations of price range or size, I think you should try one of these. I have always wanted to see one in person. :D

kyleb said:
Since you apparently have no limitations of price range or size, I think you should try one of these. I have always wanted to see one in person. :D

lol, now that would be a sight to behold from 6 foot away

Back