Vulkan/OpenGL Next Generation Initiative: unified API for mobile and non-mobile devices.

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by ToTTenTranz, Aug 11, 2014.

1. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well it's not entirely pointless but I digress.

Pardon my ignorance if this is an incredibly stupid question but can a modern GPU not assume multiple states simultaneously? At least on a per CU or SM basis?

Also would it be of any benefit to cache PSOs on the GPU, in VRAM or whatever?

#301 homerdog, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  2. Svensk Viking

Regular

Do most new games even use DX11.1 or later now? I know Repi confirmed Frostbite 3 supported it since BF4, which performed notably better on Win8 than 7, but I don't know any other games confirmed to use it.

3. MDolenc

Regular

They can and they do. You can have multiple draw calls in flight with different state. But that's fairly limited and depends on how much state is common.

homerdog likes this.
  4. lanek

Veteran

Lightman and Malo like this.
  5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Interesting that they're getting into the protected path market, which would really help for getting protected content onto far more devices.