Voxelised triangles: A system for soft-body and destructible physics.

liolio

Aquoiboniste
Legend
I was wandering on internet when I found this article on gamasutra: Triangle Mesh Voxelization
Then I dig a little on Wolfire's Blog (I watch some vids on youtube).
I also watch the demo from RealMatter about soft body and it's cool.

May be I' ignorant but it made me feel like, this guys are up to something.
They are a little team (4 people) working on voxels and how animate them, procedural animation, mix of ragdoll physic and soft body physic. Actually I don't understand what they are doing for the look of it it's like they twist/stretch/bend a soft voxel mesh accordingly to the ragdoll moves.
They are aiming at crazy low end PC configurations.

Basically I'm now wondering if voxels and procedural animations might come to the video game realm sooner than latter. I wonder what they could achieve with a larrabee, Intel should contact them and back their effort with some money and extra human work force.

Some videos:
Overview:
About their animation system:
An RealMatter demo:
The demo is pretty fun especially the zombies part (I played 20 minutes putting in to pieces quiet some zombies) the cow could act as a nice screensaver and run well on my athlon X2 @1.8GHz

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Ghaddafi talking about Daikatana in the 2nd video? Lol?

Is John Romero involved with this game and it's some kind of in-joke, or are they just generally beating a (by now very very) dead horse? :D

Anyway, the realmatter demo was absolutely the most impressive of the ones you linked, by far. I want a shooter game where my gun does THAT to enemies! Buuwaaahahahaha!

Oh, and make everything fully destructible like that. Buildings, objects, terrain also plox... That'd be awesome sweet.

Why is Ghaddafi talking about Daikatana in the 2nd video? Lol?

Is John Romero involved with this game and it's some kind of in-joke, or are they just generally beating a (by now very very) dead horse? :D

Anyway, the realmatter demo was absolutely the most impressive of the ones you linked, by far. I want a shooter game where my gun does THAT to enemies! Buuwaaahahahaha!

Oh, and make everything fully destructible like that. Buildings, objects, terrain also plox... That'd be awesome sweet.

The Wolfire guys are just funny like that, did I mention they are just plain cool? Can't wait for Overgrowth! It'll be compatible across Windows, Mac, and Linux too ;)

Back