Voices in Italian movies

in french " portable" you would think laptop computer, no its your mobile phone...
That sounds like a very bad example to me. I don't see any more reason to believe "portable" in French would mean laptop computer than to think "mobile" in English would mean laptop computer.

The Disney and other animation movies are optionally dubbed here too, and in them it doesn't sound bad at all, but that's because you know animated characters aren't real and the language and tone of voice they speak isn't assosiated to a certain actor.

Yet the team (Pekka Lehtosaari as the main dubbing director) that used to make mainly only Disney animation dubbings (does nowadasy quite lot of other ones too) has been awarded several times as Best foreing dubbing inside the disney corporation. There's even one movie that's actually said to be better as finnish version than the original speech... The Lion King is amazing piece of work, what comes to finnish sound track. after seing it in finnish, quite few say that the original U.S. sounds very bland.

Again, during last few years, dubbing has not been as good as it was during the golden years (Lion King, Aladdin, etc.) but there's the thing that while in hand drawn movie the lipsync wasn't as near as exact as it's now in CG. the facial animation has been made in some cases for the original sound actor, so putting someone else on that spot, even with the best directing, it won't look as good as it did as in 2D animation. There has been some progress in this area and the dubs are getting better all the time, (thanks to studios also noticing this and trying to adress it with less stressfull facial character animation) but still you can easily see from the first sentence if the dub is from Lehtosaari's or someone elses. there's a huuuuge difference.

Afaik, the Italian dubbing "school" is considered to be the best in the western world, especially for American films.

Pffft, you'd say that, you're italian!! :LOL:

Seriously, i think they can do a hell of a good job, considering deadlines and the sheer amount of work that needs to be done to make things "sound right" in Italian.

Not only that: speaking 4 languages, I've had the "pleasure" to watch and hear the same movies with the different dubbings :)

any country can dub well, provided the studio wants to
10-12 years ago very few films were dubbed well - almost every film released on video/cd was pirated so dubbing usually was made from 1 man and 1 woman.. my wife even knew the most productive couple in Bulgaria - they were dubbing 4-6 films per day... using simultaneos/live translation. Written scenario? naaah ... Provided the speed, their dubbing was as good as possible :D with some really funny moments ;)

Hell, when I was studying in university I worked for 2 years in a cableTV (~10 y ago)... almost every second film was translated by these 2 ... and almost no film was dubbed right. 5-6 years ago things started changing....

Back to these days, there is practically no films dubbed this way - its either "pure" pirate copy with subtitles, or professionaly made dub... and Disney's ( Shrek2, Nemo, MonstersInc and 1-2 more) are dubbed really nice(being for kids they must be after all). On some places jokes were changed as noted above, but the effect was ok.
In the end its all depends on how much time/money a firm invests in a movie
anyway, eastern europe dubbers are very very low.

i once was checking out the channels on my hotelroom in Turkey, there was this one polish or russion i dont know channel.

1 !! Guy dubbed just everything with no intonation , emotion or anything.

whuhuaha that was so funny.

The video I just saw was a Salsa instruction video, and I doubt anyone else here have seen it. It looked ambitious for such a rather low volume production. But compared to the Hollywood block busters, it obviously must have a very low budget.

Other than that I've seen some Italian TV series on Swedish TV. (That doesn't happen often though, and it was quite some time since last time I saw one.) And all guys sound like a middle aged man, with a deep voice. I guess it could qualify as a wonderful voice, but put on a thin 20 year old guy, it's just plain silly. I didn't actually mean that it was only two voice actors in Italy, but the preference for what is a "wonderful voice" seem to be very narrow. And because of that, it lose all it's character. And when the voice actors try more to sound wonderful than they try to show the right emotion, it goes down the drain.

Another bad thing is that it often is painfully obvious that the sound is recorded in a studio, since the ambient sounds are all wrong.

hufinsgack said:
That's one of the biggest misconceptions. No country decides to use subtitles. It's a question of market size and value.
Not at all.
Big animated movies are usually dubed here in Sweden (for small kids). It often really well done, by well know Swedish actors. (As has been said above, it's easier to make dubing of animated movies look good.) But there are quite a lot of grown ups that want to see them too (without kids), so usually they show the English version in a separate hall. And it's pretty clear that kids go to the Swedish version, and grown ups go to the original.

And I know a couple of German exchange students. They all had the same reaction. First when they saw Swedish TV (whit lots of movies in English), it felt a bit weird because the actors didn't sound as they were used to. But they got accustomed to it quite quickly. And after visiting Germany again after some time, and then come back to Sweden, they all said they couldn't stand the dubing.

One thing about subtitles that irritates me though, is that most DVD players put them on top of the video. Most movies comes in a widescreen format. Definitely wider than a 4:3 screen, and in many cases wider than a widescreen TV. So there's black borders on top and bottom. Why don't the players have an option to put the text in that area? :cry:

One thing about subtitles that irritates me though, is that most DVD players put them on top of the video. Most movies comes in a widescreen format. Definitely wider than a 4:3 screen, and in many cases wider than a widescreen TV. So there's black borders on top and bottom. Why don't the players have an option to put the text in that area? :cry:

AFAIK, DVDs have two aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9. If the video is wider, the borders are actually encoded in the video source. The player does not know if the actual aspect ratio is wider than 16:9.

Don't blame the player, it's the producer of the DVD who can affect the placement of the subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Taiwan, only movies/cartoon targeting children and Hong Kong movies are dubbed (now movies from Hong Kong are not dubbed anymore, IIRC). TV drama from Japan and Korea are sometimes dubbed as well. Others are only subtitled. Note that in Taiwan everything is subtitled, even normal television shows speaking Mandarin or Taiwanese are subtitled, with except of very few channels such as Disney channel which everything is dubbed thus not subtitled (which is believed to be bad for children's eyesight).

Back