Vista: how large will the market be in 2007?

just21

Newcomer
How much growth will ATI and Nvidia see in 2007 when windows vista will require a GPU for the aero glass user interface? Will the integrated graphics from Intel be able to handle Vista? Will it mean a lot of extra business for ATI and Nvidia that the stock market is not currently discounting?

I don`t know how adopted Vista itself will be for starters. XP still seems to do everything incredibly fine, and MS seem to want to push quite a few things down the colective userbase with Vista. And it`s not one of those incremental upgrades, it seems to be a bit of an overhaul on the entire system.

Don`t get me wrong, Vista is quite interesting IMO, but I don`t think it will be that appealing to the masses. As to the Aero Glass interface, if I remember correctly, a SM2.0 card will be enough for that....the 6200s and the x1300s are adequate for that, not to mention even older SM2.0 cards like the *cough* 5200 *cough*. So I don`t see a huge income-booster for IHVs in Vista. But that`s my personal POV;)

NVIDIA and ATI already have good integrated SM2.0 and SM3.0 chipsets available - the NFORCE 410/430 and Radeon Xpress 200/3200.

By good I mean "they work."

just21 said:
How much growth will ATI and Nvidia see in 2007 when windows vista will require a GPU for the aero glass user interface? Will the integrated graphics from Intel be able to handle Vista? Will it mean a lot of extra business for ATI and Nvidia that the stock market is not currently discounting?

Both NV and ATI seem to think* there's a reasonably good chance that Vista helps grow discrete sales into business users as corporate upgrade cycles hit. This is not exactly a statement of faith in IGP's (including their own!) ability to accelerate the UI as smoothly as eveyone would like.

Btw, is ANYBODY thinking yet about benchmark tools for UI acceleration? I remember there were some tests for XP UI acceleration last time around, and they were in benchies for awhile. . . [Edit: errm, or was it the Win9x move I'm thinking of? Well, anyway, one of those!]

*Geo's impression from listening to recent conference calls by both.

geo said:
Btw, is ANYBODY thinking yet about benchmark tools for UI acceleration?

This will not that easy as the composition engine runs with V-Sync on. I am already having some ideas but I am still in experimentation stage.

Demirug said:
This will not that easy as the composition engine runs with V-Sync on. I am already having some ideas but I am still in experimentation stage.

Nevertheless, I'm feeling much better knowing you're on the case! :D

Edit: Btw, I know this is semi-heresy to say in a gaming benchmark scenario . . .but is vsync really all that problematical for UI testing purposes? It strikes me as much more of a "threshold" performance kind of issue, so far as folks interest, rather than an absolute FPS issue. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
Nevertheless, I'm feeling much better knowing you're on the case! :D

Edit: Btw, I know this is semi-heresy to say in a gaming benchmark scenario . . .but is vsync really all that problematical for UI testing purposes? It strikes me as much more of a "threshold" performance kind of issue, so far as folks interest, rather than an absolute FPS issue. . .

As long as you can't get as value from the GPU how much from the overall power is used max FPS is the only way to compare different GPUs. If one gives you 200 FPS and an other only 100 you know that the first one has much more power left. With V-Sync on both will give you the same result (your display frequency).

Another test would be doing the same with VSync on and measure how much CPU power is used from the composition Engine and the driver to do the job.

Demirug said:
As long as you can't get as value from the GPU how much from the overall power is used max FPS is the only way to compare different GPUs. If one gives you 200 FPS and an other only 100 you know that the first one has much more power left. With V-Sync on both will give you the same result (your display frequency).

Another test would be doing the same with VSync on and measure how much CPU power is used from the composition Engine and the driver to do the job.

Well, if you can't turn v-sync off for the UI anyway, then what does it matter? That's why I said it is a threshold issue --either the gpu can hit vsync and hold steady on it without dipping, or it can't.

I'm not saying your way wouldn't be better and marginally more interesting, I'm just saying I still think benching tools for it would be useful even if you can't get around the vsync limitation.

for most people, movies on PC are 700MB divx. and DVD get played on the big TV in the living room (big meaning 21" or 27" :)). so really, the HDCP thing is quite overplayed I think.
I for one don't care, if I really want high quality movie on the PC, DVD will do it, higher res would be only noticed sitting close to the monitor and paying attention, but that kind of usage is for usage of the PC (games, browsing the web etc.), not watching stuff.

Back