Vista Beta 2

Wow, I'm getting it a 760kB/s...thanks!

I've been trying to download this for 2 days with no luck, but this system is flying. I wouldn't have tried the download manager if someone I know hadn't recomended it, my thanks again. :)

Hi , what AV's are you all using ? I'm using KAV6 just fine . The network settings are kinda hard to navigate and vague.
The only problem I had was trying to install Kasperskys anti hacker module , that was the only lockup(not installed) but not due to Vista. Oh and System restore was not working (for me) either . If you navigate to the UAC panel you can turn off those nagging prompts.

Just grabbed one of the two they suggested. eTrust. Since i'm using 64-bit nothing works natively with it, so no active scan, but they all work when you just run them.

My comments:

Low Power state doesnt seem to work either. It shut my comp down completely then rebooted right into windows instantly. Once its working i think that will be a nice feature. Shut downs and Restarts are no better if not worse then XP. I actually have this installed on a Raptor so i'm sure its worse though i expect that to be one of the last things they optimize. And frankly i'm quite dissapointed with the Aero feature thus far for having such high requirements. Also appears that Audigy 2 ZS beta drivers dont work for this candidate yet so i'm stuck using onboard which isnt bad, just no 5.1 and its a pain to have to physically get at my speaker output cables to switch when i want to go back to either OS.

Terrible Defrag times, cant see how much is fragmented or the progress when using the Windows program (checked later with Diskeeper, its got more red then the elevator scene from The Shining). New IE and WMP will take some getting use to.

Played for just over an hour with DOD:S without issue. However, forcing AA and AF appears broke with these beta drivers on my X1800XT. Essentially forcing either disables them for me in the app. It has to be application controlled.

Sometimes the desktop fails to load correctly leaving it blacked out except for the sidebar and toolbar. (might be an ATI issue)

IE7 has a very bad issue with CPU load. Even by scrolling down a webpage it uses full CPU.

Oh and is this beta OS a memory hog! Its commonly using about 512-768mb system memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
SugarCoat said:
JOh and is this beta OS a memory hog! Its commonly using about 512-768mb system memory.

Going to try to run 3DMark06 before i revert back to XP X64.

And we have DX10, and what I believe is Futuremarks ,PC Mark rating our systems a 3 ...
any how I like the free 1 yr. licence to muck with. and I like the aero and the way the task bar views...
Is the memory tester working for everone ?

LOL! I've been trying to download the 64-bit version, all I get is ~14MB of crud. I'm guessing there must be something b0rked in my ISPs poxy cache.

... so I've logged on and I'm snagging it at work... ~5MB/sec from the US ... gotta love academic networks :cool:

Also appears that Audigy 2 ZS beta drivers dont work for this candidate yet so i'm stuck using onboard which isnt bad, just no 5.1 and its a pain to have to physically get at my speaker output cables to switch when i want to go back to either OS.

this is because the audio stack is all completly rewritten. Much like the video driver situation. It's all user mode, and much higher performance, higher precision (it definitly doesn't glitch like in xp). There is a channel9 interview about it, quite interesting actually.

Got the 64-bit version on that second drive today (managing "dual boot" by boot drive order in the bios --thanks for the suggestion, Ingenu).

Took 11.3GB for the new Windows directory (there wasn't one before).

MS/ATI/Creative get the LLPOF Award (Liar Liar Pants on Fire) for both Cats and X-Fi drivers requiring reboots. How the award should be shared amongst the three I leave to them to determine.

Can't get to the internet for some reason. Have an nforce A8N-SLI Premium. The device is there and looks okay, but I'm getting just "Local" or "Limited" connectivity, can't see the rest of the network, nor the internet beyond. Ethernet is jacked into a router that has a cable modem also attached. The IP address it gets doesn't look right (a 169.).

Another goofy little thing. Running dual monitors the mouse will only cross over from one monitor to the other in one direction. Since it detected my monitors in reverse of what they physically are located on my desk as, this is a bit of a pain. I have to move the mouse off the left hand monitor to the left for it to show up on the far right of the right hand monitor. There is a "wall" that won't let the mouse move from the right edge of the left hand monitor onto the left edge of the right hand monitor. Tho probably I can fix this by flip-flopping the monitor cables. Doesn't happen that way in XP, even tho XP thinks they ought to be flipped too. (Edit: Hmm, I didn't try drag and drop tho in the display properties, maybe that would have fixed it.)

It's purty, I'll give it that. There's certainly going to be a degree of "okay, where the f*ck did they hide that this time?". And without internet/network working yet I'm not going to be spending much time there!

I got FEAR to work online for a few battles, then it errors out. There seems like a 15-20% performance deficit while playing though..

memberSince97 said:
I got FEAR to work online for a few battles, then it errors out. There seems like a 15-20% performance deficit while playing though..

Actual rendering performance I've been seeing is about the same (if not ever so slightly better) when in gpu limited situations. However, I'm getting performance about equivalent to running the debugging directX runtime when running CPU limited applications.
All things considered (brand new driver format) I think it's quite acceptable how well it runs.

Another goofy little thing. Running dual monitors the mouse will only cross over from one monitor to the other in one direction. Since it detected my monitors in reverse of what they physically are located on my desk as, this is a bit of a pain. I have to move the mouse off the left hand monitor to the left for it to show up on the far right of the right hand monitor. There is a "wall" that won't let the mouse move from the right edge of the left hand monitor onto the left edge of the right hand monitor. Tho probably I can fix this by flip-flopping the monitor cables. Doesn't happen that way in XP, even tho XP thinks they ought to be flipped too. (Edit: Hmm, I didn't try drag and drop tho in the display properties, maybe that would have fixed it.)

You should file a bug report on that.

MS/ATI/Creative get the LLPOF Award (Liar Liar Pants on Fire) for both Cats and X-Fi drivers requiring reboots. How the award should be shared amongst the three I leave to them to determine.

Yeah I noticed this. Funny thing was the drivers actually did activate and were being used after the installer completed. Only change I noticed was the Ati tray icon appeared after reboot.

I tried to install 5 times yesterday, and gave up.

I ripped out all my other drives and dedicated one just for this project.

300 GB Maxline 3, connected to SATA1 on my DFI LANPARTY UT NF4-D.

For the life of me, can't figure out what drivers to give to Vista when it asks.

I've followed the instructions as nforcershq, but that didn't work either.

It just says "Your BIOS may not be configured to boot from this partition", and when I click next, it says "Vista did not find a partition that meets requirements" or something to that effect.

Bleh.

Yes, of course.

Like i said, this is a driver issue.

I can't find the correct driver to supply to it so that the drive will be bootable.

Does windows XP install find the drive and install without problem? If not you either have a special HDD there or an old bios. You shouldnt need any special SATA drivers.

SugarCoat said:
Does windows XP install find the drive and install without problem? If not you either have a special HDD there or an old bios. You shouldnt need any special SATA drivers.

Yes, I had/have XP installed on an identical drive even, at the same port.

Attempting to use the same driver that I used for XP does not work.

You realize that SATA implementations DO need a driver to be bootable, right? Just like RAID or SCSI add-in cards would need one.

The SATA BIOS on most new motherboards is onboard rather than addtional like Silicon or Promise controllers.

Therefore unless you RAID you do not need specific drivers from a floppy to install a SATA HDD during a Windows XP install.

I've installed XP about 500 times this year already... so trust me I know.

zsouthboy said:
Yes, I had/have XP installed on an identical drive even, at the same port.

Attempting to use the same driver that I used for XP does not work.

You realize that SATA implementations DO need a driver to be bootable, right? Just like RAID or SCSI add-in cards would need one.

It doesnt need SATA drivers. Only in early BIOS/Motherboard revisions is that true (Pre-2004 models). Thats why i asked if XP installed without them, which you're telling me it doesnt, your saying you needed seperate drivers for it. Looking at your model i'd say, no offence, but you're absolutly doing something wrong if you've been using an SATA driver for windows insallations. You absolutly do NOT need SATA drivers for a windows installation on a single SATA drive. So stop hitting F7 or what ever it asks for them, you dont need it.

Default your BIOS settings (all of them), make sure its detecting the HDD within BIOS, set your CDROM as first boot device, put in the install disc and let it go. Should be that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
SugarCoat said:
You absolutly do NOT need SATA drivers for a windows installation on a single SATA drive.
With Vista? Because you definitely do need them for XP.

SugarCoat said:
You absolutly do NOT need SATA drivers for a windows installation on a single SATA drive. So stop hitting F7 or what ever it asks for them, you dont need it.

Default your BIOS settings (all of them), make sure its detecting the HDD within BIOS, set your CDROM as first boot device, put in the install disc and let it go. Should be that simple.

Believe me, I don't go out of my way to provide it with drivers.

In my BIOS settings, the drive is showing up under SATA1. Would you like a picture proving that fact?
I pop in the Vista DVD that I burned, it boots up, asks for an installation key, and then STOPS at the part where I am to select the partition to install. I select the drive which has no partitions, hit "New", format that newly created partition, and then attempt to hit "Next."
And apologies if it was implicated that I didn't need drivers for my XP install, because I most certainly did.

Back