Virtual surround on Xbox One with headphones

Maybe I'm not understanding something, but how can positional audio be done at an OS level? I am under the assumption it would be the game that should be responsible for that.

The game would likely be set to issue 5.1 / 7.1 stream, the OS processes that stream, sends it through the SHAPE processor with appropriate HRTFs applied and sends out Stereo HRTF stream. Likewise with Dolby Atmos as output.

Maybe I'm not understanding something, but how can positional audio be done at an OS level? I am under the assumption it would be the game that should be responsible for that.

The game engine creates the positional audio and then this is output in the standard 5.1/7.1 surround channel format. The PS4 headset takes that surround sound mix and processes it to create a virtual soundfield using the two speakers in the headphones that makes you perceive those sounds in the proper locations as if there was a full surround system present.

The Xbox and Windows 10 will be able to do this same thing with any pair of headphones and, in addition, will be able to achieve more precise sound placement if the developer outputs to Dolby Atmos in their game instead of using a standard 5.1/7.1 format. This is more than just the effect of adding the overhead channels as object-based audio replaces "send these sounds to these speakers" with "put this sound here and this sound here, etc." with the decoder figuring out what sound needs to go to what speaker to achieve that based on the output speaker locations, which can be a pair of headphones or a 7.1.2 or more surround system.

Edit: I had forgotten that Sony's new headset included proprietary Object-Based audio tech as well. So far, it is only supported in Uncharted 4 AFAIK.

Last edited:
The game engine creates the positional audio and then this is output in the standard 5.1/7.1 surround channel format. The PS4 headset takes that surround sound mix and processes it to create a virtual soundfield using the two speakers in the headphones that makes you perceive those sounds in the proper locations as if there was a full surround system present.

The Xbox and Windows 10 will be able to do this same thing with any pair of headphones and, in addition, will be able to achieve more precise sound placement if the developer outputs to Dolby Atmos in their game instead of using a standard 5.1/7.1 format. This is more than just the effect of adding the overhead channels as object-based audio replaces "send these sounds to these speakers" with "put this sound here and this sound here, etc." with the decoder figuring out what sound needs to go to what speaker to achieve that based on the output speaker locations, which can be a pair of headphones or a 7.1.2 or more surround system.

At least they can still do something with all that Kinect audio processing silicon now that god has abandoned it ....

The PS4 headset takes that surround sound mix and processes it to create a virtual soundfield using the two speakers in the headphones that makes you perceive those sounds in the proper locations as if there was a full surround system present.

If I remember correctly, it was the PU box that mix it to 2 speakers, by reading the position data from the headset.

By headset, I meant the Sony Platinum Wireless headset. Are you talking about PSVR?

Ah sorry, yeah I thought it was about Psvr.

So the Platinum headset is the headset itself as the audio brain instead of the dongle?

So it should still be able to do positional audio with analog audio cable? (although probably Sony disabled it even if it does...)

Ah sorry, yeah I thought it was about Psvr.

So the Platinum headset is the headset itself as the audio brain instead of the dongle?

So it should still be able to do positional audio with analog audio cable? (although probably Sony disabled it even if it does...)

From what I posted above about the Platinum headset, the wireless adapter appears to have the audio processing, not the headset itself.

From what I posted above about the Platinum headset, the wireless adapter appears to have the audio processing, not the headset itself.
Yes. Simply because the dongle has USB bandwidth to be supplied audio data (object audio if supplied) and then only needs a stereo stream to the headset over Bluetooth.

damn that's exciting. Really paves the need for really high end cans now. Will HRTF still work as well with just stereo towers? I guess it won't be as precise with sound coming from the front.

damn that's exciting. Really paves the need for really high end cans now. Will HRTF still work as well with just stereo towers? I guess it won't be as precise with sound coming from the front.

It's really for headphones.

For me, high end headphones were always a necessity. Those gamer headsets are for the bin. Very easy to get a good pair of headphones and use an adapter for an external mic. Or get headphones that have a detachable cord and get a cord that has a boom mic inline. I've been looking at getting a pair of planar magnetics. Will probably have to get a used pair, but I'm keeping my eye out.

Not HRTF, no. You need to be able to isolate what the left and right ear hear to make that work. There are other methods to create a virtual sound field that are used when outputting to speakers.

It's really for headphones.

For me, high end headphones were always a necessity. Those gamer headsets are for the bin. Very easy to get a good pair of headphones and use an adapter for an external mic. Or get headphones that have a detachable cord and get a cord that has a boom mic inline. I've been looking at getting a pair of planar magnetics. Will probably have to get a used pair, but I'm keeping my eye out.

What headphones are you using?

I was thinking about picking up the HyperX Cloud due to great reviews.

What headphones are you using?

I was thinking about picking up the HyperX Cloud due to great reviews.

Right now I have a pair of PSB M4U2s that I'm using. I bought an inline boom mic to use with them. I'd like to get something that's open-back instead of closed. I think planar magnetics would be a real nice upgrade.

Right now I have a pair of PSB M4U2s that I'm using. I bought an inline boom mic to use with them. I'd like to get something that's open-back instead of closed. I think planar magnetics would be a real nice upgrade.

Thanks! They are much more than I'm willing to pay for right now ~$300 on Amazon.

whoa! nice! you live in Canada?

Back