videocard temp rising!

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
my radeon 9800pro's temperaute is rising! it begins at 75C and after a few minutes it reaches almost 79C.

the fan is working.

where should I start looking?

please help me. windows is freezing constantly.

ok, turn computer off, left it resting for half an hour.

turned computer back on, now videocard temp began at 45C and is rising. after a few minutes it's already 54C.

Turn off PC, let card cool down. Remove card from PC, close eyes, and blow all the dust off.

Get an old toothbrush and brush all the dust you can off the fan after that, then close your eyes and blow on it real hard again. (NO SPITTING!)

If it looks a lot better afterwards, that might be your problem. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Turn off PC, let card cool down. Remove card from PC, close eyes, and blow all the dust off.

Get an old toothbrush and brush all the dust you can off the fan after that, then close your eyes and blow on it real hard again. (NO SPITTING!)

If it looks a lot better afterwards, that might be your problem. ;)

I did just that!

Loads of dust. No spitting, even though having a cold one...

Now it's stable at 73C...

But the cooler seems to slow down a bit and then accelerate again....

Can I install a k6 cooler over my sapphire 9800pro GPU?

what should I consider?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

mito said:
Now it's stable at 73C...

But the cooler seems to slow down a bit and then accelerate again....

So it is working as intended now. All is well. If it slows down, that means that the temperature is below the designed operating temperature.

They do generate a lot of heat, and they can take a lot more than you. They work totally fine at that temperature.

Guden Oden said:
Either get the one Alstrong linked you to, or get Zalman's V700Cu. I have that one myself, and it's awesome. Super quality, very easy to mount (if you follow the instructions properly), excellent cooling, quiet.
I heartily recomend the Zalman V700Cu, an excellent cooler. I personally think it does a much better job of cooling the card than the Arctic Cooler, and I've owned both.

I currently have a V700Cu on my X800 TT and it's been fantastic, I really should start OCing it. :oops:

I would like to thank you guys very much for your comments.

The cooler is slowing down sometimes. Now I've put a big fan right over my mb so temp is stable at 50C.

Still have to go after a decent cooler as the ones you've indicated.

:cry:

Thank God it's winter here in south Brazil. Otherwise my videocard would be gone by then...

I have a flashed r360 9800 pro at 412 mhz. I'm using one of the artic cooling systems and I really like it. I've found it cools about the same as the default cooler but silently at low speed; and better then the default cooler with some noise at high fan speed.

I don't ever again want a cooler that doesn't vent hot air outside the case.

agreed, with my recent move to small cases (hopefully forever), power and vented cooling (cooling mostly) will influence my next GPU purchase a lot.

Problem solved. It was a simple problem of lack of lubricant. I disassembled the cooler, cleaned it with a brush and applied some lubricant to the mechanical part where it spins (the axis, whatever you call it).

bingo.

now it's full speed... :D :eek:

Back