Variance Shadow Maps Demo

It surprises me that some important industry figures haven't yet had a good look at VSM since your "GDC debut".

That will change, trust me.

Hi, I was very recently forced to check out this forum. Sorry for bringing this seemingly dead topic back up. Checked out the document linked by author, shot an email to JC, thus :

John Carmack said:
BTW, I am going to look into variance shadow mapping when I get a chance.

Just thought I'd hopefully made the author's day.

Reverend said:
Hi, I was very recently forced to check out this forum. Sorry for bringing this seemingly dead topic back up. Checked out the document linked by author, shot an email to JC, thus :
Nuts, I was going to try emailing him :) I've done some work with VSM's, and they're really quite awesome.

This technique is actually perfect for XB360, as the 360 supports 32-bit fixed point filtering and has free AA too during the shadow map rendering.

Mintmaster said:
Nuts, I was going to try emailing him :) I've done some work with VSM's, and they're really quite awesome.

This technique is actually perfect for XB360, as the 360 supports 32-bit fixed point filtering and has free AA too during the shadow map rendering.

I assume id Software is well underway on development of Wolfenstein for the 360/PC so I am guessing if he is just now looking into it VSM wont be used in his upcoming game.

Anyone know what method is being used in Wolfenstein? The only snippet I have seen about the engine is that it is using an enhanced version of the "megatexturing". It would be very cool if we saw something like VSM in games sooner than later...

Acert93 said:
Anyone know what method is being used in Wolfenstein? The only snippet I have seen about the engine is that it is using an enhanced version of the "megatexturing". It would be very cool if we saw something like VSM in games sooner than later...

Wolfenstein?? Did i miss something? Isn't the next game from Id a brand new title?

NocturnDragon said:
Wolfenstein?? Did i miss something? Isn't the next game from Id a brand new title?
id isn't making the new Wolf themselves, but I am pretty sure they are "producing" it (see 3DRealms and Max Payne / Prey and so on)

Yes, it is being developed primarily by Raven Software (and Nerve), but I do believe Carmack has worked on the rendering technology for the game.

Acert93 said:
Yes, it is being developed primarily by Raven Software (and Nerve), but I do believe Carmack has worked on the rendering technology for the game.

So you think they are using the new engine and not a modified Doom3 engine?

Mintmaster said:
Hey Mint, I'd love to see some of the stuff that you've done. You had some really good ideas a while back - have you had any time to pursue them? Unfortunately I've been busy with getting married and other such nonsense lately ;)

Mintmaster said:
Oh yeah? That's totally awesome... I didn't know that it supported that high-precision filtering. Numeric precision should be a total nonissue on that harware.

Back