Valve considering making console?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Rangers, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

If Valve, rather than stating minimum hardware specs, instead opts to specify X GPU (model and brand), Y CPU (model and brand), etc. in order to get certification then I agree fullheartedly. That would end up doing more harm than good in the PC space and ultimately slow progress for not only PC's but for the traditional home consoles as well. As the hardware technology for the graphics in home consoles is being driven by the competition amoung the 2 graphics IHVs in the PC market with input from Microsoft.

Regards,
    SB

2. patsu

Legend

Shooting Down Rumors, Valve Says They’re Not Making a Game Console Any Time Soon
    http://kotaku.com/5891697/shooting-...heyre-not-making-a-game-console-any-time-soon

3. dobwal

Veteran

I don't really see the point in such effort. Its not like the hardware demographics in regards to PC gaming can't be determined in any useful way. Valve doesn't even need to build Steam hardware it could just give developers hardware information readily available to Valve on the gamers who use Steam.

You can't take on Apple by slapping a "Steam" sticker on a PC any better than what Steam is doing right now and thats providing a similar service on a hardware platform that relatively open outside of the OS itself which is controlled by MS.

4. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

I do wish Valve would get behind a certification process. Even something simple, updated every 2 years. Just call it, "Meets Valve Gamer Specs 2012." Oh well.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

That's a fair observation. They can say to devs, "you can safely target this level of hardware for your games." By this point I imagine pretty much every PC gamer is going to be using Steam. A Valve box would ahve had the potential to reach a new audience, although realistically I doubt it has a hope in hell, unless massively subsidized. So just let PC gaming be its thing.

Which of course it won't be, because consoles are the target due to economics. But come 2014, all the current uber gaming rigs will start to see software that makes use of them. ;)