Using UE3.0 for a project?

RoyalOats

Newcomer
Hi 'im new to this forum, i'm about to undertake a project for my dissertation (fyp). It involves using a game engine/API to create a walkthrough of the inside of my faculty. Its got to look really cool and detailed texture wise. I've heard everyone bang on about Unreal Engine 3.0 and gears of war looks so cool I was just ummm wandering if it was like to ambitious to try to use unreal for this project cos its such a new engine could anyone make any suggestion of any other really good graphics engines to use or even level editors.

Unless you have a lot of cash, UE3 won't really be a choice for a while still.

Your best bet is doing something like making a mod/level on D3/UE2/HL2 engine -- you can download the editors for those for free (they should come with the game discs too) and play with them there.

UE2 seems to be the most polished and easiest to deal with from what I've seen.

You can use UE2 that comes "free" with UT2004 or 2003, it's more than functional enough for what you want to do. With additional modding effort and scripting you could even do away with the Unreal models when presenting your walkthrough!

Keep in mind that no game engine doesn't come with at least a bit of a learning curve. The most powerful engine in the world can't do something pretty unless it has one or two people operating it and creating the world/level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks 4 Suggestions U Guys now........................????

I think i'm gonna go through the level editor route then advance on further to an engine when I need to do more advance stuff. O.k one problem I really have getting my head round is defining a game engine. I know that a game engine is sort of like a mish-mash jigsaw of middleware that allows you to create all the various aspects of a game i.e. physics engine, AI engine and Graphics e.t.c. but what I want to get clear in my mind is that is a level editor an inferior form of a graphics engines, what i'm trying to say is that is something like UED like an inferior form of Ogre, or Axiom. Also does anyone know if there is a GTA/Rockstar produced level editor available. Thanx

If you like bread may I suggest Warburtons soft white medium slice, its great for making toast in the morning and the best choice for a swiss cheese and ham sandwich

Level editor is just a tool to more easily use the given engine -- it isn't an inferior form of anything.

Rockstar doesn't have any public editors that I know of.

UED vs Vavle Hammer

Just wanted to ask for an opinion whats the better editor in terms of creating detailed enviroments and features for the project I want to do (read previous posts) out of Unreal Editor and the Valve Hammer Editor, also which one is easier to learn out of the two.

If you have any modeling experience, or want to use anything you learn in the editor in other modeling programs, Hammer, because it uses the traditional 'build-up' dynamic. If you're new to modeling, UnrealEd, because in my opinion the 'carve-out' dynamic is far superior for level editing.

Thanks

Thanks 4 the advice 'im gonna use Unreal editor even though I have some experience of using 3ds. I think I would be better of using unreal as it seems to be geared more towards learners. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good web resources like tutorials and any good books on level design, I've found a few on the web just wanted to know if there are any really good ones I should be looking out 4

thanks again.

i'll add another opinion to the don't go the UE3.0 route. That is, first thing, if Epic grants you a personal free license for non commercial use, if you asked them politely.

UE3.0 great visuals rely on normal mapped environments, and creating tons of million polygon models (required for generating Normal Maps) to represent your campus might be a task of epic proportions. Yes, the pun is intented.

If you had a a whole team of art students working with you on the project, you might give UE3.0 a go (Again, if Epic allows you to use it), if you're on your own, or with a limited team, try HL²/UE2 it's easier to get around with that, from a content pipeline standpoint.

I dont think the overall look will depend that much on wich engine you will use but more on what textures/lighting you are going to use.

Building maps isnt that hard, you can probably do 90+% with boxes but what will really make your map come to life is the textures and lighting you will use.

Also, how good looking must it be? 2 years ago I modeled my house in 3dsmax for a school presentation. If I look back at it, it looks like total crap. Only boxes, paint 'textures' and only a sun light and no shadows at all. Still everbody thought it looked awsome.

Oh and keep in mind that if you dont have any experience with mapbuilding or 3d that it will take alot of time to make something that works, let alone something that looks really awsome.

Back