Microsoft's 'Serious Gaming Initiative', Studio Alpha [2020-12]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by liams, Dec 15, 2020.

1. liams

Regular Newcomer

Microsoft is expanding into 'serious gaming' with a new studio called studio alpha, WalkingCat on twitter just leaked this slide. The slide seems more tools focussed than anything but the job posting seems to indicate that the studio is working on a 'serious' game.
    [​IMG]
    I would just highlight the sentence at the top right of the slide, which is 'The future digital battlespace'

And a job posting
    https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/949239/

That states that the project is just starting.

It seems like, and this is just my interpretation of things, that it might be an Arma like training environment primarily for military use, but it would also be useful for things like search and rescue training.

Who knows, maybe its a fork of flight simulator with high detail ground regions that would function like arma, with the flight sim world allowing for full-length combat mission to support ground troops and bombing missions and the like.

This is also coming after the US military has given Microsoft a contract for 100k hololens 2 headsets.

Its interesting the ways that game technology is being used for non-game purposes now, Epic is already doing this with unreal engine, and its use in film production. It was used for the in-camera visualisation that was used while filming the Mandalorian for instance.

I can certainly see this as an area of interest for Microsoft, if they get the government hooked on a simulation platform like this there is no way that they move to another cloud provider once the Jedi contract is up.

2. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

This used to be my gig, and will be again. The G8 Governments all have in-house technical solutions for needs like this, and have for decades. There are many problems where you cannot go outside because no commercial security clearance is high enough.

VitaminB6 likes this.
  3. BillSpencer

Regular Newcomer

if something says "confidential" then it's either fake, or it is made by the PR department.

I work for an even bigger tech company compared to MS, and actual confidential files have watermarks identifying the employee who accessed it, both visible and 'invisible', in letter spacing and so on

4. liams

Regular Newcomer

I mean studio alpha is even mentioned in the Head of Microsoft Silicon & Electronics industry's LinkedIn profile, to dismiss this as fake seems a bit of a leap. Assuming you work for Apple, which company has a bigger reputation for leaking things? Microsoft or Apple?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mujtabahamid/

5. BillSpencer

Regular Newcomer

I said it’s either fake or PR

6. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I'll just mention that if it's from WalkingCat you can pretty much guarantee that it's not fake.

7. BillSpencer

Regular Newcomer

So it’s a “leak” then, cool!

8. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

He's not an insider, or commentator.
    He basically usually leaks things that MS has on their servers or unpublished web pages etc.

So it's not here say, or friend of a friend.

BRiT likes this.
  9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Just an fyi , there was a huge scandal inside of MS when a member of the stores team recorded a all hands meeting. Now all slides are labeled Microsoft confidential if they are confidential. I have no idea if this team exists or not because i really only deal with my team but saying confidential makes it fake is not true.

PSman1700, AzBat and BRiT like this.
  10. DSoup

DSoup meh

Government dude here and I see commercial documentation marked as CONFIDENTIAL frequently. If anybody is in a large tech company where this isn't common, your company probably isn't doing much in the way of sensitive aerospace defence, security or CNI work.

eastmen likes this.
  11. BillSpencer

Regular Newcomer

With government "confidential" a leak will mean that people involved will be criminally prosecuted.

In tech, confidential files without any watermark are merely PR exercises. Unless MS one of the biggest companies in the industry does not have such systems in place? That would be bigger news than whatever PR thing they had in mind with this honestly

12. liams

Regular Newcomer

eastmen, BillSpencer and BRiT like this.
  13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Just to be clear, as with any Defense contract, the military is required to secure bids from multiple companies who then compete to see which offers a solution that is the closest to the requirements that a particular branch of the military set forth.

So, MS has just entered into the first of 3 phases of the competition between BAE Systems, Cole Engineering, and MS. It could potentially be years before all 3 phases of the competition have concluded and the Marine Corps awards the contract to one of the 3 companies.

There's not much there, as it's still very early in the competition, but the source for her information about the US Marine Corps was: Marine Corps taps three companies for second phase development of new wargaming center | InsideDefense.com

Regards,
    SB

DSoup, PSman1700 and BillSpencer like this.
  14. DSoup

DSoup meh

Where I work, unauthorised disclosure of commercially confidential information is not a criminal offence, it is a disciplinary issue.

I can only speak of where I work but if there was an unauthorised disclosure of commercially confidential information, the company's PR team would not be leveraging this. It's not about PR it's about trust that information used and safeguarded appropriately and doing all possible to undo whatever damage may've been caused and restore confidence that it wouldn't happen again.

BRiT likes this.