US airforce to equip themselves with new weapons

But the Pentagon's Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency reckons it has solved the problem by merging liquid and solid state lasers to cut the size and weight by "an order of magnitude", according to its website.

I like how DARPA "reckons". It sounds cool, only suprise is how fast they are miniturizing it.

But this is going to kick ass right here. a full suit of power armor, soldiers can beat down enemy troops by lifting motorbikes. Or more likely they can have 50 Cal M2's mounted on their suits or something.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/03/03_exo.shtml

Lasers?

Just add some giant robots and you got a deal! I'll condone any war with giant robots and laser fights. Because, that's KEWL!

More seriously, it's funny to see that after a mere ~40 years of development, high power optical devices found their way in real vehicle-mounted. The various "death ray" projects finally came to fruition?

I'm sure if it wasn't for science fiction, the research in this field would have never last for so many years.

How much shots does that laser have? One? I'm not sure if it is even a replacement for a conventional weapon yet. (Something alike a Goalkeeper or Phalanx.) But it does sound cool.

As for the exoskeleton: it does look cool as well, but I don't think many soldiers would want to use such a thing in the frontline. You won't be able to move fast (or at all if the energy is drained), and I don't think it is suitable for other than flat terrain. Don't fall, as you won't be able to get back up!

It's all very nice for us tech nuts, but not very practical. But then again, without the army paying for it, there will be little money for further development, so I would want the army to buy a thousand of both. :D

DiGuru said:
How much shots does that laser have? One? I'm not sure if it is even a replacement for a conventional weapon yet. (Something alike a Goalkeeper or Phalanx.) But it does sound cool.

you could create energy source that would give it possibility of multiple shot.... something like turbine (at mach 1+ any kind of turbine would produce pretty nice ammount of energy... and when you dont need it, you simply shut it out).... batteries + turbine sort of recharging would make this very attractive weapons...

Back