Upgraded to G80

PeterAce

Regular
After 11 months of using my BFG 7800 GTX 512MB it was feeling a little slow at the new F.E.A.R expansion pack, so my brother and I both ordered an BFG 8800 GTX. The order was placed from OCUK at around 2pm yesterday and the cards arrived today at 1:30 (that was the longest just over 23 hours;))

dmg80.png

Both cards are installed (one in my computer the other in my brothers), time to benchmark!

Agreed.

Reminds me of people starting threads on a medical school forum saying things like "I have 4.0 gpa's in biochemistry, biomedical engineering, and linguistics, shadowed a doctor for six years, spent two summers in Guatemala on medical mission trips, authored a paper on a novel way to use stem cells to treat early Familial Mediterranean Fever, and hold a patent on a new finger joint replacement implant. I'm worried that I only made a 38 on the MCAT. Do you think I have a decent chance at getting into a good medical school?"

I ordered an 8800GTS today (more than sufficient for my 19" TFT) for a paltry €499 and I already feel buyer's remorse :???: Damn those impulse purchases.

I ordered an 8800GTS today (more than sufficient for my 19" TFT) for a paltry €499 and I already feel buyer's remorse :???: Damn those impulse purchases.

You could always send it to me, I'll cover shipping, and you'll have a wonderful giving of giving someone a great gift!

Interesting you went with it, you should have thrown say a 24" panal into that purchase and made it really worth it. One thing you can look forward is completely maxed out graphics and insane amounts of AA!

Interesting you went with it, you should have thrown say a 24" panal into that purchase and made it really worth it. One thing you can look forward is completely maxed out graphics and insane amounts of AA!
I'm gonna stick with the 19" for forseeable future... so yeah, I want the image quality. I also figure that I won't have to upgrade for a long time.

My current GPU, a 7600GT, is a wee bit underpowered, considering my CPU is a C2D E6600@3Ghz.

(micb = PeterAces bro) These cards are bigger in size than I thought, they are beasts!

I thought with Crimbo around the corner and I'll have plenty of time to play games, why not splash out on something that is so cool.

Now I just gotta keep my mind off going for a silly CPU/Mobo setup to complent this new card...hehe.

congrats!
7800 "a little slow"? riiiight ;)

I'm still on an x850 XT. does the job well at lower resolution for me still.
next time I upgrade will be an overhaul though, new mobo (this one doesnt have PCIe) and processor. maybe sometime end of next year

I hear JR is giving away 24" LCD panels.

After 11 months of using my BFG 7800 GTX 512MB it was feeling a little slow at the new F.E.A.R expansion pack, so my brother and I both ordered an BFG 8800 GTX. The order was placed from OCUK at around 2pm yesterday and the cards arrived today at 1:30 (that was the longest just over 23 hours;))

dmg80.png
Sounds cool and all, but the IQ of that green circle, the G80 rendered, is awful...

:p

Congrats, it's always nice to get the latest toys around their launch.
Sign me up to the '7800 = slow?!' brigade. I'm still soldiering on with my 9800 Pro!
Still gaming with a R350?
You're a warrior, that's for sure.

With that said, not so long ago, I was rocking with a 9250... That said, the only things I played on that were Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Diablo 2.

Yeah, it comes down to what you're playing and the performance you need for it. This year I think I've spent most of my time with Civ 4, Half-Life 2, Max Payne 2 and the like; none of which call for serious power - unless you're an image quality snob. But I've realised that I'm not; the gameplay trumps all and I just *don't see* jaggies and the like when I'm playing. It's a gift: it keeps my hardware expenditure down. :smile:

The contradiction of course is the $$$ I'll be splashing on the uber-monster Kentsfied + G80/R600 rig I'm going to build next year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Still gaming with a R350?
You're a warrior, that's for sure.

With that said, not so long ago, I was rocking with a 9250... That said, the only things I played on that were Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Diablo 2.
Heh, still have an 8500 in my machine! X360 is for gaming, my computer is for work, though I still occasionally play UT. I guess I lost the PC gaming interest a few years ago...

My GTS is sitting in the store waiting to be picked up tommorow (along with a Core2 E6600, 2GB DDR2 667 and an Asus i965).

So for about another 16 hours the 360 is the most powerful gaming machine in the house but I have a funny feeling it won't be getting much love after that :D

Heh, still have an 8500 in my machine! X360 is for gaming, my computer is for work, though I still occasionally play UT. I guess I lost the PC gaming interest a few years ago...

Well the 9250 is just a revamped 8500 so...you're tied!

I had a Geforce2 Pro (box says Pro, card label says GTS, drivers think it's a TI...whatever) in another gaming machine I use here at work for a really long time. But BFG sent me a free 6800GT OC so that changed real fast :LOL:

Back