Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom Update

my ferrari as a respectable trunck, but i only know how to put a peanut in it.... gosh, my car must SUCK.

come on... for a guy with eyes wide open you sure keep them tight closed in topics like this
Does the smilie not appear on your computer? Often I don't use them when being sarcastic, but this time I did!

Seriously though, what can they be using those SPEs for? How can 3 be dedicated to physics when the physics are so minimal? Even when skeletons are busted into bones, if each one was a rigid body I've seen more complex physics run on my 1.8 GHz AthlonXP @ 60 fps. It must be a very early physics engine, maybe in house, that's extremely inefficient, but then I thought they were using Havok. Without destructable environments, loads of enemies with ragdoll physics simultaneously colliding, collections of vehicles and barrels getting blown up and thrown around, where is all that physics being applied? Are we just seeing only a tiny part of some very boring levels and there's others that are loads more involving?

Another gripe I have if with the total lack of dynamic lighting. In one of the wizard movies a fireball is launched and there's no light from it to the ground or skeletons. Games have had dynamic lighting for yonks even if just vertex lighting. BGDA managed some nice lighting 5 years ago on a PS2, shadow casting to boot. SOE aren't the most refined console developers for sure, but by comparison to other games in this genre it's missing so much. Did UL on the PSP have any dynamic lighting? As a fan of the genre I can' thelp but feel it's something of a 'get it out quick while there's no competition' maneouvre. Hopefully it'll improve still further with some effects just needing to be finalised and added in where they've been missing in current preview builds. Fireballs that don't cast a glow just feel wrong!

Back