Until Dawn [PS4]

1 hour here (sorry, had to). Which is still a fair bit too long, but all games I've bought online (most of my purchases these days) start being playable after the first 4GB or so are downloaded.
I found out recently I'm one of the 5% of UK homes with an exchange only line. What this means in practice is that I'm connected directly to an exchange rather than a green cabinet and the fibre optics run between exchanges and cabinets.

Supposedly OpenReach are working on solutions for these types of lines but right now I'm limited to DSL. Wish I hadn't bought that flash fibre ready router now! :-/

Man love this game, it's actually much more fun than I expected as I just spent 4 hours non stop playing it. The inclusion of that analyst is so very intriguing and apparently the story is more than what it appears to be. The graphics are also pretty amazing, the character models are perhaps the best I've seen in a game.
TsAeIYu.jpg
6gignNg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3Kd8yCy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oOu7hF0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FLbHBLO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/X6eZ9vf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sKeUbz9.jpg

Ordered it on Blu-ray from Amazon. Arriving Friday. Can't wait! :runaway:

Played it for an hour yesterday. It looks good (faces are really over-animated at times) and the writing is solid. Unfortunately the gameplay (if you wanna call it that) is boring as hell. Walk around slowly (why don't these games let me run ffs? There's nothing immersive about crippling a game's pace) and press x occasionally - yawn. The scariness is utterly nonexistent as well, and not even the cheap jump scares work. It's a horror game for people who don't really like horror and/or games. Real bummer that Fatal Frame is now Nintendo-only.

Played also a bit yesterday! First impression: graphics are goood!!! Second impression: what is going on with facial animation. Looks exactly like HR in this regard....no tec progress the last 8 years or what?? Meh!

Game is alright so far, and I read it picks up quite a bit after the initial set up phase. I hope that there is not to much teenage romance stuff going on!

Overall some very interesting ideas wrt story telling (a bit similar to AW s future prediction scripts).
It seems that this game offers an unlimited amount of branches...I am very curious about the next hours of gaming!

In contrast to Siegi...it is a bit to much horror tension for my taste!!! :oops:

It's a horror game for people who don't really like horror and/or games

That's a condescending comment and I couldn't disagree more, I love both horror and games. I'll try to address both points.

Horror taste is very subjective, I can't stand slasher movies which is not horror in my book, and love more psychological stuff like Cure (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123948/) or Rosemary's Baby.
Anyway I've found Until Dawn good. A few twists are great even if predictable and the ability to avoid dumb moves like "I"ll check this alone" is nice. I don't know which part you played, but the cliche nature of the beginning is there on purpose. Japanese horror is great, I like it too, but it's not the only way to do horror.

About the game, I think I've played this game around twelve hours, and plan to unlock those missing collectibles. I don't put gameplay on a pedestal, couldn't care less about it. The fact is, I was constantly highly entertained during those hours. I've played The Witcher 3 too, and think I had the same amount of entertainment, wrapped inside I don't know how many hours of dullness, riding the horse around and collecting boring treasures, which I learned later was auto-generated.

Note that the game is not perfect either, I'll admit that. Some decisions are meaningful only in appearance and a few characters have plot armor until specified points. You can see it when you replay some episodes and try to stretch the boundaries :)

Unlocked framerate? hmmm, i would prefer to have the option to lock it at 30

The volumetric area lights and dynamic shadowing are really something else, coupled with very high quality assets and post processing effects you get a stunning looking game indeed.

I really liked:

- the gameplay and control. Be aware that it is super simplified, more so than e.g. Heavy Rain or Beyond. But, the control scheme imo serves the game well as you can focus on the story and on the decisions. Still, the gameplay offers enough split second challenges which can have dramatic input.

- you have to except every decision, also if you just miss the qte event as the game saves automatically. This has imo a nice effect: you cannot 100% controll what is going on, even if you realise some clues and thus realise whats going on.

- after finishing, you unlock episode menu, which lets you play all episode to fine tune your story if you want to :)

- story with its different layers was very good imo and I liked it.

- graphics are really good. Especially towards the end and the finale...I was in awe about what is going on in my TV! As long as the puppets don't move there mouth that is :mrgreen:

- overall, if you are into HR type games...highly recommended!

- game scared me brutally...couldn't sleep :oops:

Last edited:
Just got it, i'll post some impressions after i finish it :D

A review from a guy who mostly reviews movies:

Edit: Character models and skin shading are really good, facial animation is hit or miss, sometimes good, sometimes overdone, sometimes bad. Overall it looks really clean with minimal aliasing, IQ is razor sharp for 1080p.
untildawn_20150828170o7u6g.jpg

untildawn_20150828171nwu3j.jpg

untildawn_20150828172pbu9l.jpg

untildawn_201508281733ljnu.jpg

Last edited:
Just got it, i'll post some impressions after i finish it :D
Just arrived here too and it's installing. Got some food shopping to do then I'm going in for my first play through. I expect the death count to be high! :yes:

But must save the cheerleader. There's a cheerleader, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a 45 mb patch

That's got to be the smallest patch I can think of this gen.

My shopping is done, my girlfriend and sprog are away for the weekend and I'll start the game once my crispy duck and chow mein arrive.

Cone on, food! :runaway: I'm really looking forward to Until Dawn..

Back