Unreal Tournament ?

I Love UT and I hope they are going to handle this new version properly.
NO FREE TO PLAY.
I hope it is pretty far along in development or at least doesnt stay in development as long as Fortnight.
I wonder why they have been denying it exists. Will it be Pc only or next gen also?

If it's F2P, all interest will be lost on my part.

Oh wait, I thought shred was suggesting some kind on monthly subscription fee to play online rather than a one off purchase and then play for life as per UT3. I'm not really familiar with F2P aside from a vague association of it to el crappo facebook games. If that's the case here then yeah, absolutely no f2p.

I don't see free to play as necessarily negative. Its just that there is so much negativity surrounding that word. If its somehow done right without excessive grinding as well as offer a $50-60 version with content & quality justifying the $60, equivalent to very good traditional AAA titles in terms of quality & content, that'd be the way to do it.

Also offer the ability for those that pay the $25-60 to join not just the lobbies/matchmaking of those who paid nothing so far, but also offer exclusive separate lobbies/servers/matchmaking for those who buy the full version (or who pay their way to a fuller version).
The reason you want to offer payers the ability to separate from non-payers (if they so desire), is so the payers can miniize their exposure to newbies/cheaters. Someone who put $60 is less likely to cheat than someone who put in nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they're reskinning UT with UE4, which will make the UT fanatics happy as they probably won't change much.

I somehow didn't like UT3 but am a fan of everything before it. UT2004 (am I right with the year?) was super fab and UT was always fab. even is now.

Hoping its proper UT4 and not just a tech demo or a reskin for their new engine.

Sounds like they're reskinning UT with UE4, which will make the UT fanatics happy as they probably won't change much.
Wasn't really anything wrong with UT3 IMO, it was a very, very pretty game actually, in its own way. It had that characteristic unreal engine look in the lighting and materials, but if you don't hate that then it looked quite good actually. Certainly for its time. No MSAA caused some aliasing, but the game's so fast-paced that if you have time to irritate yourself over that then you're doing it wrong! :p

IE, Epic could do far worse than just re-skin UT3... One could hope they'd re-make levels from older UTs as well.

I thought UT3 was great. My favorite is UT2004 though. UE 3 does have that certain look to it that people either love or hate. I thinks its the Real mapping and texture system that gives it that plasticy look alot of people dont care for. From everything I have seen of Unreal engine 4 that look seems to have been corrected. As far as epic doing a remake of an older UT with the new engine. Isnt that what UT is in the first place. Anyway I love it.

I don't see free to play as necessarily negative. Its just that there is so much negativity surrounding that word. If its somehow done right without excessive grinding as well as offer a $50-60 version with content & quality justifying the $60, equivalent to very good traditional AAA titles in terms of quality & content, that'd be the way to do it.

Which has almost never ever been the case so far, hence all the negativity.

Which has almost never ever been the case so far, hence all the negativity.
I would say Dota 2 is f2p done right. It certainly doesn't detract from the experience. Also it is hugely popular (and profitable I would guess). Then again Epic isn't Valve.

Are there any signs whatsoever saying Epic is considering F2P?

...Because if not, then what on earth are we worrying about! :) We'll deal with F2P down the road, IF it ever arrives, I say.

Epic has said they want to focus on making f2p titles. Fortnite is going to be free to play. I may be mistaken but the company from china that purchased Epic makes f2p games. Also alot of the articles about UT4 seem to imply it will be f2p. I truly hope it isnt.

Can someone explain to me how f2p would work compared to a normal one off purchase? Do we have examples of disadvantages of the f2p approach?

Back