Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

Yes, you controller players constantly feel the need to explain or justify why you want controllers only. There is nothing wrong with you playing your console games with a controller if that's what you prefer to do. At the same token there shouldn't be anything wrong with me & anyone else using a KB/M if that's what we prefer to do as well. As far as the "even playing field" goes. KB/M vs KB/M is a even playing field when using the PS3 I would guess. As far as I know you can't install mouse drivers (maybe you can but I do not know) so if you are concerned about varying degrees of DPI I honestly do not think say a 800 dpi to 2000 dpi mouse will have much difference in "advantage" on the PS3. You can't map buttons to the mouse & I don't think you can even remap the keyboard buttons. If someone happens to have a ball mouse with USB cable, well then I guess they are at a disadvantage but that disadvantage isn't just within the game if you know what I mean.

Anyway, this is a dead horse issue imo. As much as these next gen consoles cost I should be able to play my games that I pay for with my preferred input device.

As far as UT3 goes Phil. You can join controller only servers which there are plenty of, or (gasp) make your own. Everyone is happy as it should be.

Hey, I'm all for options. ;)
I was more voicing my concern that the majority of people that may buy and play UT3 will be using a KB/M setup, making it a more of a frustrating experience for players like me that chose not to use one (or don't have a setup that allows for one confortably). UT3 seems like more a type of game that will be more attracted by hardcore gamers or people that know the game from its PC background. Those players will for the most part be undoubtedly be playing with a KB/M setup - which in the end could limit the appeal of the rest of the folks. If there are enough games to chose from that are gamepad only - perfect for me :D

I suspect though that (well this depends on the sales of the games) because it's a game that is very attracted by people knowing the PC game, the majority of games will be KB/M enabled.

And depending on where you live, not many will have the necessary (upload) bandwidth to create their own servers - and perhaps, there won't be many gameplay only users that would want to join given that most that have the game might be looking for KB/M games.

I think it's a valid concern - one that only time will show if it's justified or not.

One other thought:
How are player rankings managed? Are KB/M users split from gamepad users or not? Certainly, it takes a lot more skill and practise to master on a gamepad etc..?

No idea about the rankings. If there are rankings mine must suck since I let one of my 6 year old boys try to play. All deaths & no kills of course. Something in the area of 20 to 30 deaths just from him in half a game.

I wouldn't worry about lack of controller players. There will not be shortage I'm sure of players that play console games just because they really need/want the controller. I like the controller for some games personally, just not for FPS games. Also last time I looked there were more controller only servers then there were KB/M allowed servers.

Its the same speed no matter if you use controller or KB/M.

Edit: Actually you can use both at the same time & need to if you want to use voice or menu's.

Does the PS3 version speed up when your playing with a K/M or is it still slowed down compared to the PC version?
i don't own the game, but i'm guessing run speed will always be the same, but i think if you're in a kb/m server, the actual pace of the game will speed up a little as everyone will have more responsive aim.

unless you're a die hard UT fan that really likes a VERY fast game, i don't think game speed will be much of a concern. 1up said the difference between the PS3/PC version is like night and day as far as pace, but they actually preferred the slower PS3 version and thought the PC version is almost too fast.

Its the same speed no matter if you use controller or KB/M.

Edit: Actually you can use both at the same time & need to if you want to use voice or menu's.

I ve heard that there is the option to change the speed for kb/m. I dont if its true though

I ve heard that there is the option to change the speed for kb/m. I dont if its true though
You mean speed of the game like movement speed? Because the PS3 version was specifically slowed down for controller players which was the reason PS3 to PC play was killed. & i've not seen anything saying you could speed up the movement for KB/M on the PS3.

I think either the PC should slow down or the PS3 KB/M player should have an option to speed up movement to play the PC players.

i don't own the game, but i'm guessing run speed will always be the same, but i think if you're in a kb/m server, the actual pace of the game will speed up a little as everyone will have more responsive aim.

unless you're a die hard UT fan that really likes a VERY fast game, i don't think game speed will be much of a concern. 1up said the difference between the PS3/PC version is like night and day as far as pace, but they actually preferred the slower PS3 version and thought the PC version is almost too fast.

Each to their own I guess but UT was designed to be fast. Slowing it down on PS3 was obviously a compromise due to the control scheme. Otherwise the game would have been slower on the PC aswell.

Personally I think most of the fun in a game like UT is speed and control agility. Seems console owners have finally gained the second one but are still missing the first.

Personally I do not find the PS3 speed all that bad even using KB/M. If people were given an option for speed that would be even better.

Each to their own I guess but UT was designed to be fast. Slowing it down on PS3 was obviously a compromise due to the control scheme. Otherwise the game would have been slower on the PC aswell.

Personally I think most of the fun in a game like UT is speed and control agility. Seems console owners have finally gained the second one but are still missing the first.
no one said the PS3 version is slow... its just not as freakishly fast as the PC version. i don't know if you own a PS3 or not, but judging by videos i've seen, it seems to be between Resistance and the PC version of UT3 as far as game speed, and Resistance is a pretty fast game as well.

I have the game. Just completed the training level and the first level. Have not tried multiplayer yet. The fighting pace is definitely faster than Resistance (feverish ?).

I can't say which is better yet. Need to play more. So far it feels similar but Resistance's maps seem more open (and larger). Even the controls are similar which is great for people like me ! :D

no one said the PS3 version is slow... its just not as freakishly fast as the PC version. i don't know if you own a PS3 or not, but judging by videos i've seen, it seems to be between Resistance and the PC version of UT3 as far as game speed, and Resistance is a pretty fast game as well.

Nobody is saying it is slow but rather slower than the PC version. Still it has good speed on the PS3 but it is bad that they did not include a option to change gameplay speed. I myself find that it is the fast gameplay speed on PC version that atracts me, it is a pure adrenaline booster!

Do the guns have alternative firing mode in UT3 ? (I have swapped to Resistance just to experience the differences, so can't check immediately now)

Nebula, the pace in PS3 UT3 is already very fast. I can see why some want it to go even quicker (especially those with souped up PCs), but oh my... I think it'll be hard to keep up with multiple enemies.

I need to check out the level designs as I play along.

Do the guns have alternative firing mode in UT3 ? (I have swapped to Resistance just to experience the differences, so can't check immediately now)

Nebula, the pace in PS3 UT3 is already very fast. I can see why some want it to go even quicker (especially those with souped up PCs), but oh my... I think it'll be hard to keep up with multiple enemies.

I need to check out the level designs as I play along.

Yeah the weapons have different firing modes aswell as combos, like shot secondary fire energy ball and then hitting it with primary firing mode energy-rail to create a mega blast!

It is the fast speed that attracts me personally, feels like watching those Japanese "epileptic" anime movies! :LOL:

I visited udn.epicgames.com/PS3Mod according to the user manual and got this:
"We will be posting information soon. Please check again for more information."

Where can I find UT3 mods ? And also the instructions to install the mods ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself find that it is the fast gameplay speed on PC version that atracts me, it is a pure adrenaline booster!

Thats exactly what it is for me too. Its not so much tactics and skill but pure instinct that takes over when things heat up in this game (Quake 3 was the same for me).

Some situations just get so intense that it becomes pure reaction and instinct with movements occuring so fast that a third party probably couldn't even understand whats happening. And then when you get that kill(s) or score the adrenaline rush is huge! Its one of those were I find myself jumping up in excitement and shouting f*ck you biatch!! at the screen in victory :devilish:

Okay, the link works now.

http://udn.epicgames.com/PS3Mods is up.

EDIT:
Hmm.... I might be have missed an 's' in the original link. So the site may be up when the game went live. Anyway, I'm going through the SP. The sound is somewhat disappointing. This is the first PS3 game I noticed with pretty "flat" sound. Otherwise, it looks good (quick and detailed, but not breathtaking compared to the slower paced Uncharted or Heavenly Sword)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back