Unreal Engine 4 now free

Yes, that's the first public DX12 preview implementation. But looks like there are tons of works to do. Binding tiers constants looks like related to very old specifications .

But comments like this are my favourites!

Code:
#if USE_ASYNC_COMPUTE_CONTEXT
#error Implement me!
#endif

:runaway:

lolj, looks like we had to wait mature drivers first ^_^

Unreal Engine 4 - Infiltrator Tech Demo

The impressive real-time UE4 demo from GDC'13 is now available as compiled distribution.

p.s.:
I just did a quick run in DX12 mode and it appears to be heavily threaded, occupying ~50% of my 6-core Xeon. The demo seems to be both GPU and CPU limited in different parts and also takes a rather large 2.5GB chunk of the memory.

Last edited:
For the first time in my life, I got served with a "not enough memory" error. And here I though those 8GB would last another couple of years.
Good thing I have a motherboard with 8 memory slots, though.
Maybe I'll go crazy, get 32GB on top of my current 8GB and make a 24-ish GB RAM Drive for the game I'm currently playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to check why, on my system, it stay at loading "95 % " .. every other project is working, and i dont think it have something to do with my system (I7 4930K 6cores + 16GB DDR3 ).

@ToTTenTranz : Ram cost nothing today, i have a kit of 4x4GB ( quad channel ) 2400mhz DDR3 C9 from G-skill, it have cost me less than a old HDD of 500GB.

With a 4770K, I see one spike to 40% CPU usage, stay in to 20-30 range most of the time in DX12 mode.
This is the second Unreal demo that is capped to exactly twice the display's refresh rate, doesn't seem to be capped in DX11.

With a 4770K, I see one spike to 40% CPU usage, stay in to 20-30 range most of the time in DX12 mode.
This is the second Unreal demo that is capped to exactly twice the display's refresh rate, doesn't seem to be capped in DX11.
AFIK, it still doesn't have a proper multi-thread implementation..
The refresh-rate*#back-buffers cap is due the flip model. Full-screen can work with unleashed frame-rate too ("immediate flip mode"), but for proper "unleashed" windowed mode we must wait the "November update".
If you are interest in DirectX presentation modes, here is a video explaining the WDDM 2.0/DX12 presentation modes too.

Apparently the "fullscreen" command doesn't put it in true full screen mode, because I get the same results.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Donzanoid/status/662667308247085056

On Xbox One probably for Fable Legends. It is not POM or tesselation if you follow the twitter conversation

CTJEZ5rUAAEBTmt.png

One of many features I added to UE4 for a client. Not tessellation :) Runs on XB1. All frequencies. Used everywhere!

It certainly seems interesting.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Donzanoid/status/662667308247085056

On Xbox One probably for Fable Legends. It is not POM or tesselation if you follow the twitter conversation

CTJEZ5rUAAEBTmt.png
Sounds wonderful.
There are no tiling or curvature limitations with this and geometry extends beyond bounds of original mesh.
It certainly seems like there is no texture stretching, so it could have proper 3D texture/surface.
Cannot wait to see it in action.

"There are no tiling or curvature limitations with this and geometry extends beyond bounds of original mesh."

That scares me in terms of what it might do to Early-Z (and/or HSR on tilers) - this is a truly amazing example (and I really want to know how it works!!) but it's also a very simple scene, what happens to performance once you add overdraw?

@chris1515 Thanks for posting this (and all the stuff in the presentations thread) its very interesting. This has my curiosity and imagination going... I really wonder what they're doing. Will give it more thought later.

I'm so tired guys from baby tears and cries. What is POM?? How expensive is it generally? And which games use it today? (So I can look up examples)

Thanks in advance.

Back