Unreal Engine 3.0 demo wows GDC

MarkRein said:
Blazkowicz_ said:
Notice how we've gone from 8bit color to 16 bit, then 32bit and now "64bit", but.. these UE3 demos are as greenish as quake 1 is brownish :LOL:
even the water is mostly brown in quake 1 and.. it's green in UE3 :LOL:
Oh come on man! These are horribly crappy shaky-cam shots of a demo played on a crappy projector, in an over-lit room with the camera's white balance obviously set incorrectly. People who saw the demo in our suite got to see it on both a properly-adjusted projector and on 12 CRT monitors assembled throughout the room. There was nothing wrong with the color of our demos, in fact we got lots of compliments on how great they looked.

Well I thought the greenish horribly crappy shaky-cam shots looked pretty cool. Can't wait to see the real thing. 8)

Varg Vikernes said:
Tim Sweeney confirmed that last year's demo was running a 6800 (Ultra I believe). These demo are probably 2800 SLI.

NVIDIA has a contract with Epic (TWIMTBP) so don't expect Epic running on Radeons in the public :)
More importantly, the best graphics performance available today can only be had by two GeForce 6800 Ultras in SLI mode.

As usual this is impressive stuff. I really liked demo 4 when they showed the bell tower with the sun glaring off the water. That looked rather nice!

The Unreal 2 eXpanded MultiPlayer is the best team-based multiplayer game I have ever played(including UT2k4).
From the shutdown of Legend, it's not supported anymore

Althogh somebody is working on a UTXMP Port, but it is not the same anymore(Legend's Per Particle Damage system is gone).

The net code of U2XMP is semi-broken. But its gameplay is still the best.

I actually would like a single-player story based Unreal game, then an expanded multiplayer game.

Reverend said:
Just announce Epic's next game instead of pimping the engine!!
Haha. Well, personally, I feel it's a good move on Epic's part. Specifically, game engines are going to get much more lucrative as it gets harder and harder to write them. They're really designing this iteration of the engine around developers, at least from everything they're talking about at these events. It seems to me that they've seen the need for more people to license engines instead of make their own, and thus a way for them to capitalize on a burgeoning market.

As for announcing a game, well, it rather makes sense, too, as I'm sure they don't want to get hit with the Daikatana or DNF syndrome (not talking about the final product that was Daikatana.....just the hype). I'm sure the hype will start coming around when they feel they're within, oh, six months of release. Which probably means it'll be out a year after they start the game hype :)

Engine licenses probably represent the larger part of their revenue, too. Why not pimp your major product as much as possible?

Chalnoth said:
Reverend said:
Epic no longer need to pimp and hype UE3 at shows.
If they didn't, somebody else would.

And that would simply be a "We're using the UE3 engine. For more info, please ask Epic." Nothing more than that.

Epic obviously can't have that.
They can, because they know what licensees can say. Based on what licensees know.

Reverend said:
And that would simply be a "We're using the UE3 engine. For more info, please ask Epic." Nothing more than that.
There are other engine developers than Epic.

Reverend said:
Chalnoth said:
Reverend said:
There are other engine developers than Epic.

To put things in perspective, can you name them?

Maybe out of context, but there are id, Valve, Croteam, Lithtech...

Reverend said:
Epic no longer need to pimp and hype UE3 at shows.

True. Epic should release a high quality video. No need to go on shows pimping the engine ever anymore after that 8)

Back