Unity 5 (with all engine features) is now free

@Scott_Arm
have you ever tried "construct2"? im really accustomed with that and has been using it for anything from game (ugh too many reboot) and apps and like the way i can "program" without "programming".

have not tried UE4, but last time on Unity 3 it was confusing.

I've never tried construct2. I'm a capable coder for basic stuff, so I'm fine with programming, but Unreal Engine makes it so easy to do anything with coding that I think someone that has a basic understanding of the concepts can do a lot, and the tools are very intuitive.

So, it looks like Unity 5 is brand spankin' new, so my comparison with Unreal 4 would have been to Unity 4. So, take my experience with a grain of salt, because I'd expect Unity 5 to have a ton of improvements.

I'm loving all of the free engines these days, the competition for the indie/low budget
developer has been great.
Though it's dealt a mighty blow to the other companies that used to occupy
this space like the Torque guys.

I downloaded Unity 4.0 a while back but never dove in because I wasn't sure how
difficulty it would be to start. Guess I'll go ahead, pull up my sleeves and dig in.

I think whoever thought about this first was a genius. Not sure how flat-rate the engines were before but I'd assume they would get the same fee from an AAA studio and from an indie. And if that AAA studio made a billion out of the game, the engine creators were left out of a big chunk of revenues. Free engine plus 5% share of $$$ from everyone is a great idea.

I see that both can work with C# now (UE4 got that just a few months ago, just after I looked at it), which is a big plus for me. I don't really have the time to get comfortable with C++ again.

Back