Underappreciated jobs

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
Today as I sat in my office I glanced casually out the window. I couldn't help but notice two strands of rope dangling between a small crevice in my building. Upon further scrutiny it then dawned on me this was the window washers. I looked up expecting to see scaffolding, but to my shock it was a man dangling from the ropes, sitting on a crude seat which looked to have been made out of two planks of wood. Now first off you should know my fear of heights is unprecedented, so working in a skyscraper is irony in itself. As he finished washing each floor's windows, he would then rappel down the building to the level below and repeat. I struck up a conversation with one of my co-workers about the window washers and he mentioned to me that he had a friend who worked in a similar line of work, and made something along the lines of 14 dollars an hour. I can't even begin to explain the utmost respect I have for these individuals and how futile this line of work seems. Provided this man died from his rope failing, how would his job compensate his family? This man makes a minimal sum of money and probably doesn't even receive hazard pay. And this is just one of many underappreciated lines of work that exist that we don't even give the time of day to think of. Anyone else have any opinions on this topic or have an idea as to what you think is an underappreciated job?

I didn't get paid at all when I was rock climbing 4x/week! ;)

Actually for a rope to fail in such a situation would require gross negligence. The family would get paid off - that is unless the gov't passes legislation to cap gross negligence claims to $100k or something really fricking stupid like the GOP wants...

Janitors (what's the politically correct term? Sanitation officer?). I appreciate that the washrooms and garbage bins here are cleaned daily.

I would say cleaning jobs which are done by women in the main.. and then there is a factory near where I work that makes food for the air industry. I worked there when I was younger during the summer and it is back breaking work in the cold (I was in dispatch where the food got stored to be loaded on to trucks).
I have a friend who used to work at Toyota, making the new Avensis cars, and that is another intense job but at least the Toyota company looked after you.

I mean, the list is ENDLESS, but then again it depends on your perception of underappreciated is. Whether it's janitorial jobs cleaning up the most unimaginable messes, or physically demanding jobs risking life and limb. I consider myself a compassionate person, probably conflicting with your views of my forum behavior, always willing to help or sympathize for my fellow man. But there's a lot out there that goes unsaid, and deserves a little respect. In this thread I'd like to hear personal experiences or opinions on the topic, so please feel free to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at McDonalds you have a hard job because the company is pure evil. The work is monotonous and the people are mean and they don't let you work 40+ hours a week to get benefits or overtime. One restaraunt will have around 50 workers. The meat industry is run by the same evil people, only the hazards are much higher and you get kicked out if you try to get care from anybody other then the grossly incompetent (or I'm guessing paid off) company doctors. It really is amazing what goes into getting our beef.

My heart goes out to those who take care of others.

I would like to write more, but with this subject I fear my anger would honestly get the best of me.

14 dollars an hour, this doesn't seem that low to me !?

Not for the type of work he was doing. I wouldn't settle for that amount of money for the caliber of work he was doing. Real estate in Mass. is expensive beyond comprehension.

Back