Uncharted 4 discussion [PS4] (read first post) [2016]

Completed last night, was an overall very entertaining game and well crafted through out, it was good to see how the dynamics between Chloe and Nadine develops with genuine emotion and reward. For the limited amount of time ND had to develop this expansion, it definitely went over and above tho I was left wanting for more :). I would still rank UC4 over TLL if only for the length, more character development screen time, more environment variety and a more satisfying ending. I'm one of the few people who didn't mind the relatively slow pacing in UC4 so that helps too. None the less it's a very worth while entry to the Uncharted series, really wonder what direction ND will take next for PS5 continuation.
Some of the chapters looked almost like CG.
https://abload.de/img/1tfsaa.png
https://abload.de/img/27as4n.png
https://abload.de/img/3gvsv4.png

The setting itself was great, India worked really well in this. I didn't know much about their mythology and deities and I've found it all very interesting :)

I don't know if anyone noticed but Nadine will call out "Frazer!" at the start of the game and as the game goes on she'll change that to "Chloe!" when you die. Small details like these make all the difference.

The animation and rendering of those animals (don't want to spoil) is probably the most realistic thing I have seen in a video game to date. It really flashed me how well they are made.

I did like the pace of this game! I really liked this additional side quest in the open map.

For me, the set India wasn't really distinct enough to other set pieces (except for the sculptures), so the environment felt unexciting to me, but not bad, just ok.

Fighting was good, especially that the number of enemy waves was limited.

Jumping and climbing around felt a bit clumsy this time around, and this part of UC feels now a bit dated compared to other games.

Overall an unbelievable good action flick summer block buster, the right size for an in-between lunch :)

And yet, they cranked out The Lost Legacy in a year, and it looks insane also [for some, even better than base U4].

I’m about to buy that now just to see it.

Are we still allowed to talk about the game? Do others like the level designs of the “fight” levels? I’m actually very mixed on them. They all felt like levels designed for online multiplayer in that you had to know them before you could succeed. A little too much trial and error.

It may just be me as I had issues with spatial awareness with this game. I honestly think the high level realistic image quality was detrimental to gameplay at times. It’s almost like a slight bit of “uncanny valley” in that it’s too lush to see a simple game layout in the realism.

Maybe I’m just old.

Addendum: The story was really fantastic. They wrapped up the 10+ year plot really well. Amazing craftsmanship for that element of the series. Really beautifully done.

I’m about to buy that now just to see it.

Are we still allowed to talk about the game? Do others like the level designs of the “fight” levels? I’m actually very mixed on them. They all felt like levels designed for online multiplayer in that you had to know them before you could succeed. A little too much trial and error.

It may just be me as I had issues with spatial awareness with this game. I honestly think the high level realistic image quality was detrimental to gameplay at times. It’s almost like a slight bit of “uncanny valley” in that it’s too lush to see a simple game layout in the realism.

Maybe I’m just old.

Had very similar problems. Not just with Uncharted, but also with, for example, Arkham Knight. Eye-balling enemy patrols was near impossible thanks to all the enivonmental clutter. Ran around with the ugly-ass detective vision at almost all times as a result.

Had very similar problems. Not just with Uncharted, but also with, for example, Arkham Knight. Eye-balling enemy patrols was near impossible thanks to all the enivonmental clutter. Ran around with the ugly-ass detective vision at almost all times as a result.

Will VR help? What other methods exist to help?

Overall the game was marvelous but I fear all games will suffer this type of ”uncanny valley” if some convention isn’t discovered to help. Again, maybe VR is the answer.

True dat. And it's only gonna get harder as rendering techniques improve. After all, the more wholesome your lighting systems gets, the less likely it's gonna be for details to stick out visually. VR will help some due to the added depth perception, but it needs a lot of resolution to to help at anything but short to medium distances. Plus neither Uncharted nor Arkham nor any other third person game is a good fit for the tech.

True dat. And it's only gonna get harder as rendering techniques improve.

1) 3D audio might help someone location movement around them but that requires headphones or something.

2) I’m wondering what or if advanced rendering techniques could be used to actually help highlight edges and give some subtle cues to depth. I’m not sure what would work but something that can help. Something other than 32k TVs of course....

I think it's a problem solved best by art direction:

- Mirrors Edge and Assassins Creed both employ colour coded environmental elements, which means you can see them from a distance and plan your route.

- Killzone has those glowing, Helghan eyes, which are both unsettling, and perfect for highlighting any enemy with which you share a mutual line of sight.

- Flower has brightly coloured, unbloomed flowers, often in a monochromatic expanse.

- Dead Space attunes you to looking for moving shadows, and the wriggling beasties that precede them, in the beam of your weapon's torch.

I found myself becoming too reliant on marking the enemies in Uncharted 4, just like I became too reliant on the BatDetectoVision in Arkham Knight, but I played The Last of Us without ever using its X-ray vision thing, and the entire time I was marveling at how realistic it looked.

I'm also (finally!) nearly finished Uncharted 4, because I got LL as a Christmas gift. I remain infuriated by some of the control mechanics, especially around gunplay and vehicles, but otherwise I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Found myself stopping to take photos in photo mode quite a bit, which is a real testament to how good it looks in general.

Looking forward to LL now (and to completing UC4, just one chapter to go I think!). ND really know what they're doing.

Back