Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was waiting for this, thank you.

I'm almost too hyped for UC4.. :( we need more people downplaying aspects or the graphics.
I'm not massively impressed with the water. Cluckos's post here may have lots of fancy shading techniques, but it's a flat plane Nate's penetrating. There's zero sense of a watery surface; looks more like he's standing in low level fog. There's also a lack of decent bubbles and bubble shading while swimming. Bubbles should be wobble spheroids with a reflective environment map, and there should be lots of them...

Instead we have what look like a kid's bubble-mixture sprite graphic sporadically placed. Lots of perfectly round, light rings. https://giant.gfycat.com/IdenticalCircularAssassinbug.gif

Well first of all we haven't seen the best part of the underwater section yet where the geometry is the most dense, secondly the lighting ,shading and pretty much everything else look miles better in UC4 which consequently makes this section much more impressive than Cod's.

Yeah Ghost is bordering POS level of gameplay but the underwater level is nuts. UC4's shading is somewhat better in some places here mainly because it's PBR while COD isn't. UC4 looks really close to GTA V underwater IMO (GTA is still to this day one of the most technically impressive game ever btw..)

The water can be hit or miss i agree, but wait till you see the opening (I've seen about 5 minutes of it, so much for black out :D), dynamic light sources and subsurface scattering (inside the water) all over the place. I can't remember a game that does the things I've seen in the opening segment.

The bubbles are a peculiar oversight IMO. The limited water surface probably can't be helped for now as it's a technically very demanding problem. But given the complexity of lighting and shading throughout, why the bubbles don't look like underwater bubbles just smacks of the artist Googling 'bubbles' for reference and not checking what under-water bubbles look like with their silvery tops and/or clouds of white. :p

The bubbles are a peculiar oversight IMO. The limited water surface probably can't be helped for now as it's a technically very demanding problem. But given the complexity of lighting and shading throughout, why the bubbles don't look like underwater bubbles just smacks of the artist Googling 'bubbles' for reference and not checking what under-water bubbles look like with their silvery tops and/or clouds of white. :p

Some bubbly water from the segment i just mentioned (it's just a prolonged version of the gif i posted in the previous page)

Don't worry, the Neo version will fix whatever bubbles or water related issues this game might have with a patch.
Does the water look tessellated in that clip to anyone?

The water can be hit or miss i agree, but wait till you see the opening (I've seen about 5 minutes of it, so much for black out :D), dynamic light sources and subsurface scattering (inside the water) all over the place. I can't remember a game that does the things I've seen in the opening segment.
Hype up! :runaway:

One guy on reddit said with no exploring/searching whatsoever he is at chapter 21 and 11 hours in (chapter 10 was one third into the game according to Arne Meyer). The other guy who is posting the screenshots said he is at chapter 17 and already 15+ hours in the game (the time excludes cutscenes in both cases). This very well might be > TLOU in terms of length.

Last edited:
One guy on reddit said with no exploring/searching whatsoever he is at chapter 21 and 11 hours in (chapter 10 was one third into the game according to Arne Mayer). The other guy who is posting the screenshots said he is at chapter 17 and already 15+ hours in the game (the time excludes cutscenes in both cases). This very well might be > TLOU in terms of length.
Let's just be cautious here... their may not be spoilers in their comments but they are hyperbolic to the max... let wait for more unbiased impressions before coming to conclusions...

I don't see how their impressions are hyperbole but we don't really have to wait long before the embargo lifts (4PM PST April 4th apparently).

Here's non-spoilery photomode screenshot:
uFQ5FTS.png

UC4 is a game that definitely looks better in motion.

The user that posted that said photomode adds 25% sharpening by default. I'm thinking sharpening does more harm than good and you can see that in this picture. Thankfully we should be able to disable it :D
Sharpening really worsens the specular highlights that's for sure.

I don't see how their impressions are hyperbole.
"Better than previous Uncharteds and LoU combined." UC metacritic = 88%. UC2 = 96%. UC3 = 92%. TLoU = 95%. So UC4 is a metacritic quality of...390%? How exactly do you combine these titles to measure UC4 against??

Or was he being literal, and UC combined with TLoU would be a fairly weak game that UC4 is better than?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back