Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the new trailer is incoming. or at least something new is incoming because the "new" mark on sony's press center has gone (it usually gone before a new stuff appear).

Only 25 seconds. And TBH it looks how I remember UC looking on PS3! Nothing provides a graphics upgrade quite as effectively as memory/nostalgia...
It's the lighting..I'm still disappointed that ND didn't go for a more realistic looking result here (Ryse, the Order, Frostbite games, Quantum Break etc) but given the apparently bigger scale of the game it is understandable. Everything look so awesome besides the "old school" looking lighting/shading.

It's the lighting..I'm still disappointed that ND didn't go for a more realistic looking result here (Ryse, the Order, Frostbite games, Quantum Break etc) but given the apparently bigger scale of the game it is understandable. Everything look so awesome besides the "old school" looking lighting/shading.
Lighting looks easily as good as those games you mentioned and with much larger scale, native res and more destruction to boot.

Not sure what's so old school about it.

Not everything needs to be dark and gritty.
What does art style ("dark and gritty") have to do with lighting/shading? As a matter of fact UC4 is actually "darker and grittier" than most of the games I cited besides The Order.
ND is not aiming for photorealism and that's their choice. I just wish they had..that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Battlefront is the only the game that is shooting for photo realism from the games you mentioned and that's not photo realism as replicating a real life location, more like replicating a movie set which is not realistic either. Everything else is stylized in some sort of way (because real life looks dull most of the time, detailed but dull). UFC EA games would be a good example of "shooting for photorealism". As for U4, now the wait begins, should be easy till reviews hit next week, will try my luck to get an early copy :D

Someone needs a fresh cup of espresso to wake himself up good
I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying it looks like a PS3 game, but that the game resembles the original and I (mis)remember the original being drop-dead-gorgeous, so this feels about the same. Obviously side-by-side, or just playing the PS3 versions again, they'll look notably inferior, but it takes that comparison. Unlike other games that have just 'popped' this gen because they are doing things not done before.

Also, please just refer to a time-frame in the streamed video rather than embed a 35 MB gif. Why the hell are we stil enduring gif's?! It's the frickin' 21st century yet people persist in wasting BW with 256 colour video based on 1980s tech!

I kinda have to agree with the part that your mental picture of how the previous games looked like gets less accurate and more idealized as the years pass. I thought - and said many times - that UC2's filmic tone mapping was really nice and realistic; but today I'd have to add "compared to other games of its time".

With that said, the characters themselves were never as realistic (although I still prefer to call them hyper-real) as the ones in UC4, because ND wasn't aiming for that at all. There was a huge change in general art direction this time, a conscious decision to make everything more lifelike. For example they're using a lot of scanning now, even though it's mostly for the clothing and equipment and never for the faces.
It all makes perfect sense though (no surprise): rendering the old style Drake with such realistic shaders and lighting would look pretty disturbing, especially in motion - he'd look like a living action figure or something.

So, at least to me, UC4 certainly doesn't feel like UC3 did, not at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back