Uncharted 3

it has been a while but if I remember correctly, all of them has video compression artifacts for cut scene, even more noticeable for Jak 2 and 3 in 480p mode. Most Sony first party games on PS2 use pre recorded fmv.
I tell you you are wrong. enable cheats like jaks goate and it will in the cutscene, set a vehicle on fire and you might see it passing by, still burning, in the cutscene.
Just to be sure I just booted up Jak 3 in PSX2 and it renders the intro with lots of graphical bugs - definitly realtime.

And while Jak 2 had some tedious annoying driving around between missions, it was still alot better than say... Mafia which was just downright useless and boring. Most of the game actually is not unlike Uncharted, without on-rails platforming and good bosses (just to try to stear the thread ontopic gain =) )

thats good to know then, actually glad that I am wrong, now I just hope they got somebody that is good to port them, unlike the sly collection.

Game still looks nice, and I can imagine it could be pretty sweet in HD, much like an upscaled Wii game. :) The effective streaming tech in this game I wager will allow it to stand up againt most current Wii game's having the advantage of more RAM ... :p

Game has so much energy, I feel good playing it, even just watching it.

LOVE Jak 1, love it, 2 and 3 were still good, but not as good, never played Jak X. I hope they can use the highest quality model for gameplay at all time in this port.

Looks like they "shipped" 3.8 million not 'sold' but that makes no difference on Sony's balance sheet. I really don't understand why people care for the difference. It's a pointless exercise to discuss the difference if you are getting the retail suggested price for everything you shipped, it's profit either way. Can't wait to see people argue the pointless difference on "shipped" and 'sold' numbers while ND is laughing their royalty to the bank.

It is difficult to get an accurate sell through figure worldwide. US is ok, EU is iffy, South America and Asia are hair pulling exercises.

Yeah, UC3 has every chance to bet the previous ones, it really is an exceptional game and deserves it.
(even though I don't like the limited gameplay approach either)

Now for a different issue, am I the only one who doesn't like the changes to the female leads? Their faces had far more character in UC2, now they're Barbie-ed up a lot, especially Elena.
Sure, Drake and Sully look more realistic as well and their faces are changed too, more or less, but it works a little better (especially Sully).
It's also interesting how they've revised the eye reflections, instead of the mutliple highlights they now have a more Pixarish single strong highlight. Works a little better in all scenes that aren't extreme close-ups.

Oh and the facial animation is really cool - they have 98 bones for the face, and corrective poses to fix bad deformations on top of the basic rig. Very very nice work there (and you can see how the alley cutscene in the beginning has been polished up in the time since its first release)

Oh and the facial animation is really cool - they have 98 bones for the face, and corrective poses to fix bad deformations on top of the basic rig. Very very nice work there (and you can see how the alley cutscene in the beginning has been polished up in the time since its first release)

I'm curious, what do you think about the mocap in general in Uncharted games? I haven't seen U3 yet but U2's seemed to go beyond most games in that body language/emotion seemed to be conveyed better. Do they just use far more capture points than most studios do, or do they coach their actors better to tie body movements more to the script? I'm wondering what exact element is it that gives their cutscenes the edge above others.

better animators I think, a lot are hand crafted. I dont think they even do face capturing to the same level as heavenly swords or LA Noire, and Uncharted games looks better to be.

Laa-Yosh, how do you know it's 98 bones ?

better animators I think, a lot are hand crafted. I dont think they even do face capturing to the same level as heavenly swords or LA Noire, and Uncharted games looks better to be.

Are they still using their U1 blended animation library approach ?

Now for a different issue, am I the only one who doesn't like the changes to the female leads? Their faces had far more character in UC2, now they're Barbie-ed up a lot, especially Elena.

Yes, I agree. I think what they've done for all characters is make them more like their voice actors. This is a common practice also in Pixar movies, and I like the idea, and it works well enough for Nathan, but I prefer the slightly more comic book style of Uncharted 2.

It's also interesting how they've revised the eye reflections, instead of the mutliple highlights they now have a more Pixarish single strong highlight. Works a little better in all scenes that aren't extreme close-ups.

Yes, I noticed this too, and crucially, so did my wife. ;) She's always very sensitive to this.

I was very impressed to hear that they do the facial animation manually still, no motion capture there at all.

As for the reason why the motion capture for the body language is so much better in Uncharted games, this is because they capture the voice and body acting at the same time. And doing so with all actors present and being able to react to each other directly (which is not common practice at all) makes the dialog and body interaction even more natural. They also use various props that the actors can grab and interact with.

Sony was so pleased with the way Naughty Dog do this, if I remember correctly they got their own motion capture studio for Uncharted 3.

Some of the bonus material explains parts of this as well.

I like the new Elena face model and Chloe's even more so. I played a little bit of U2 yesterday because I wanted to see how big or small the visual leap from one game to the next was (answer: not huge, but still bigger than I initially thought. U3 packs a lot more detail per frame. Unfortunately I also discovered that the aiming in U2 worked quite a bit better), and both Elena and Chloe look positively weird in those games thanks to their glass marble eyes.

wait for the aiming + motion blur patch then. Surprise no one mention anything about the bokeh dof they are using not even DF, at least I think it is bokeh. its more subtle than the other games that uses it and I think they are using square shapes. I find it looks alot like skyward sword,everything looks kind of like an oil painting.

I like the new Elena face model and Chloe's even more so. I played a little bit of U2 yesterday because I wanted to see how big or small the visual leap from one game to the next was (answer: not huge, but still bigger than I initially thought. U3 packs a lot more detail per frame. Unfortunately I also discovered that the aiming in U2 worked quite a bit better), and both Elena and Chloe look positively weird in those games thanks to their glass marble eyes.

Yes, although I apparently adjusted to the aiming change quite easily, I do seem to start believing there's something to all these complaints. ;)

And yeah, the detail per frame in U3 is often a lot more, sometimes disconcertingly so. It does make the few cases where the MLAA doesn't quite work stand out more as well however.

On another note, I think one of the stronger parts in terms of story/character in U2 was the juxtaposition between Elena and Chloe, and the fact that you couldn't really trust anyone, not even Sully at first. In U3, there is something similar, but it is much weaker imho. And there are actually too many things in U3 that are too similar to U2.

As a game though, I prefer U3. I'll definitely replay that a lot more than U2.

It does make the few cases where the MLAA doesn't quite work stand out more as well however.
True, but still a compromise that was well worth making at the end of the day. Loved the moment I demoed the ship level to a buddy of mine who's a proud member of the keyboard and mouse master race. The spectacle my beloved 6 year old "plastic toy" managed to pump out rather effortlessly was really hurting his pride. And hey, most of the times the MLAA works just fine.:D

It seems my disc problem solution isn't a freak case. Others are also reporting that installing another game solves the issue. Thank god I can play now :) !

Back