Umbrella Chronicles Wii video.

Ok, RE4 didn't have as much realtime lighting, shadows, destructible environments, or light bloom. That was easy.

Assuming that's true which it isn't, that's why it supposedly looks better?:LOL:

Play through the whole game of RE4 and if you still think UC looks better then get some glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played RE4 all the way through 5 or 6 times. Okay, let's point out some places where RE:UC looks better. First, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIPWGxZPs3Y

1. At 00:07, notice the zombie casting a projected shadow. RE4 didn't feature any such shadows; rather, the characters merely had the "blob beneath the feet" shadows. You'll see another such shadow at the snake boss scene. They're not throughout the game, unfortunately.

2. At 00:17, notice the shards of wood bouncing across the floor when the door was destroyed. They didn't do this in RE4, either.

3. At 00:23, notice the stump of the spinal column protruding from the zombie's neck. Characters in RE4 merely had a flat texture across their neck stumps once beheaded.

4. Nice reflection on the floor, eh? There are 2 or 3 areas in RE4 with environment mapped floors, and neither of them are as detailed as the scene here.

5. 00:26, the lightning strike casts a shadow on the wall. Also not seen in RE4. You should have noticed by now the bloom from the lightning. Pause it at 00:22 if you haven't yet. The graveyard lightning in RE4 didn't do this.

6. 00:44, see how the lighting projects a shadow of the railing? It's probably prebaked, but RE4 didn't do that, either. I'm not going to point out any more instances of this effect, but you'll see more.

7. 01:11, check out the texturing on the zombie's face. You couldn't see the outline of teeth on the RE4 characters.

8. 01:40, look at the glow aroudn the light fixtures. That's had some kind of bloom or filtering or something applied that RE4 didn't have. More shadows, and the environments are more destructible than RE4's.

9. 02:30, nice bump mapping on the snake. We saw a similar, but much more reduced effect on the Regenerators in RE4. Wasn't the Salazar boss bump mapped as well? I won't make a big deal out of this.

The new trailer, just a few notes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8V5Tkzgmgs

1. 00:36, nice bloom. Not in RE4.

2. 00:50, bloom again. Definitely not in RE4.

3. 01:34, did we see explosions cause that kind of blinding white in RE4? I don't think we did, but I could be wrong.

4. 01:44, that definitely looks better than Leon's flashlight, even if the difference is only the bloom.

I've played RE4 all the way through 5 or 6 times. Okay, let's point out some places where RE:UC looks better. First, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIPWGxZPs3Y

1. At 00:07, notice the zombie casting a projected shadow. RE4 didn't feature any such shadows; rather, the characters merely had the "blob beneath the feet" shadows. You'll see another such shadow at the snake boss scene. They're not throughout the game, unfortunately.

The shadow definitely looks good, but does that make UC look better than RE4 because it has one or two characters with projected shadows in a specific scene? I think not.

2. At 00:17, notice the shards of wood bouncing across the floor when the door was destroyed. They didn't do this in RE4, either.

I think you're grasping at straws here to try and prove a point. I'll respond with a similar answer. In RE4 you can blow out portions of a door, it doesn't completely crumble until you shoot out a few holes.

3. At 00:23, notice the stump of the spinal column protruding from the zombie's neck. Characters in RE4 merely had a flat texture across their neck stumps once beheaded.

Actually many characters in RE4 had tenticles or a spider coming out of the neck stumps.

4. Nice reflection on the floor, eh? There are 2 or 3 areas in RE4 with environment mapped floors, and neither of them are as detailed as the scene here.

RE4 doesn't have floor reflections simply because the environment wasn't a mansion with shiny floors. RE4 does have small puddles of water with nice reflections and real fluid dynamics.

5. 00:26, the lightning strike casts a shadow on the wall. Also not seen in RE4. You should have noticed by now the bloom from the lightning. Pause it at 00:22 if you haven't yet. The graveyard lightning in RE4 didn't do this.

Actually in the graveyard the lightning strikes casts shadows of the fence onto the ground/grass.

6. 00:44, see how the lighting projects a shadow of the railing? It's probably prebaked, but RE4 didn't do that, either. I'm not going to point out any more instances of this effect, but you'll see more.

I addressed that above.

7. 01:11, check out the texturing on the zombie's face. You couldn't see the outline of teeth on the RE4 characters.

Wow you're now scraping the bottom of the barrel.

8. 01:40, look at the glow aroudn the light fixtures. That's had some kind of bloom or filtering or something applied that RE4 didn't have. More shadows, and the environments are more destructible than RE4's.

The lava level in RE4 puts that bloom to shame, as well as the heat haze effect throughout that level. Then there is the amazingly realistic torch flames in RE4 with nice lighting effect. Also there are plenty of interactive environmental objects that can be destroyed/triggered in RE4 like wood doors, crates, explosive barrels, windows, portraits, water, fish, snakes, chickens, cows, lights, embedded gems, bear traps, booby traps, switches, semi-persistent bullet holes etc. Then there are particle effects and motion blur on top.

9. 02:30, nice bump mapping on the snake. We saw a similar, but much more reduced effect on the Regenerators in RE4. Wasn't the Salazar boss bump mapped as well? I won't make a big deal out of this.

How do you know the snake has bump mapping? Regardless in RE4 the last spider boss has nice bump mapping too as well as a wet look from the pouring rain.

1. 00:36, nice bloom. Not in RE4.

2. 00:50, bloom again. Definitely not in RE4.

Plenty of bloom in the lava level.

3. 01:34, did we see explosions cause that kind of blinding white in RE4? I don't think we did, but I could be wrong.

The bazooka in RE4 causes a very nice flaming ball explosion with nice environmental lighting as well as environmental charring in certain levels like the church.

4. 01:44, that definitely looks better than Leon's flashlight, even if the difference is only the bloom.

Leon doesn't use a flashlight in RE4...the girl does.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shadow definitely looks good, but does that make UC look better than RE4 because it has one or two characters with projected shadows in a specific scene? I think not.

I think you're grasping at straws here to try and prove a point. I'll respond with a similar answer. In RE4 you can blow out portions of a door, it doesn't completely crumble until you shoot out a few holes.

Actually many characters in RE4 had tenticles or a spider coming out of the neck stumps.

RE4 doesn't have floor reflections simply because the environment wasn't a mansion with shiny floors. RE4 does have small puddles of water with nice reflections and real fluid dynamics.

Actually in the graveyard the lightning strikes casts shadows of the fence onto the ground/grass.

I addressed that above.

Wow you're now scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The lava level in RE4 puts that bloom to shame, as well as the heat haze effect throughout that level. Then there is the amazingly realistic torch flames in RE4 with nice lighting effect. Also there are plenty of interactive environmental objects that can be destroyed/triggered in RE4 like wood doors, crates, explosive barrels, windows, portraits, water, fish, snakes, chickens, cows, lights, embedded gems, bear traps, booby traps, switches, semi-persistent bullet holes etc. Then there are particle effects and motion blur on top.

How do you know the snake has bump mapping? Regardless in RE4 the last spider boss has nice bump mapping too as well as a wet look from the pouring rain.

Plenty of bloom in the lava level.

The bazooka in RE4 causes a very nice flaming ball explosion with nice environmental lighting as well as environmental charring in certain levels like the church.

Are you sure you played Resi4? :???:

Yes, because RE4 didn't do it even when you just had 1 or 2 characters onscreen.
Other than, y'know, the entire castle. And when it did, the environments weren't as detailed.
The lava level in RE4 puts that bloom to shame, as well as the heat haze effect throughout that level.
It's not a level; it's a room. That heat haze is only in two rooms in the game, but the bloom is in nearly every scene we've seen of UC so far. Heat haze in RE4 was a very limited special effect, but bloom in UC appears to be a basic feature of the lighting engine.
How do you know the snake has bump mapping?
Because I'm not blind?
Yes, he does. It's attached to his belt. What did you think he was lighting up the area in front of him with?

Oh, and higher-res textures do matter, even if you think it's "scraping." The fact is, Wii has an extra 64 MB of main RAM and 50% more fillrate. You should expect things like better texture resolution and more fillrate-burning effects like bloom.

Problems have been sorted out and some posts have been pruned.

Please continue the discussion...

Compared to all of the humanoid enemies.

You can't compare torn clothes textures from dead zombies with normal clothes of living persons...that kind of comparison is retarded, that's like comparing the rotting flesh textures of dead zombies with the smooth skin textures from those Monks. :LOL:

Finally with at least 3 times more RAM to work with I wouldn't continue to brag about UC's textures. At the end of the day UC doesn't look better than RE4 no matter how much one wants to believe.

Is there any official word on what they tried to do with the gfx?

I believe they just used the gc engine and worked with that without really trying to improve it. Capcom is just like alot of other devs just cashing in with minimal effort. RE4 sold a ton already even though its released for the 3rd time and they try to do the same with UC, minimal effort, maximal results. Hopefully if UC sells well they'll make a decent RE game.

It looks like the RE4 engine souped up. Ok considering the hardware. Lots of jaggies. Might be entertaining. We'll see I guess.

I'm actually looking forward to this game. I have one friend who's big into these kinds of games, and I like them to, so I figure I'll only play it when he's over. Should be a two player game.

Back