• combination

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont know/dont care/Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Ok, im finally going to europe. :) will be meeting my wife there for a nice get together (havent seen her for a little over 6 months). Planning on going in about 2 weeks from now for about 7 or so days

Which would you recommend and why:
UK, France, or Switz. (or maybe a combination of two)

epic

What do you like to do?

Switzerland has fantastic hiking.

France has fantastic castles, vinyards, beaches (either the Atlantic, or the Med).

The UK has...ummmm.....beer? (I've never actually vacationed in the UK, so I can't comment too much there).

Having spent some time (at least a day or two) in some dozen European countries, it is my opinion that there is a lot more to do and see in other countries but Switzerland is just more relaxing.

I'd love to return. As for most of the other countries... bah, been once and that's enough.

the only place i want to sweat is in my hotel room 8) So hiking is out of the question. hehe.

Which is the prettier (more scenic) of the countries?

The wife and I are not big night life kinda people. So clubing et al is not something that would interest us.

Right now the only thing in the UK that is even remotely interesting to her is a hindu temple (biggest one outside of india) and for me id love to go to the UK parlimant and see it in action.

France has a lot of things going for it (as russ noted) however the language might be a stumbling bloc for the 2 of us. How easy is it to get around france without knowing any french?

Not too familiar with what switz has to offer other than great scenery. My wife has always wanted to go there, but should i save a trip there until its winter in that part of the world?

epic

England tends to be rather rainy from my experience, or at least the London area. :D Of course, I've spent less than two months there sum total so maybe I just had bad luck what do I know.

I'd recommend france tho, if not for any other reason than the food. They got killer food in france, but of course you're a vegetarian pussy so you can't enjoy much in the way of that... :LOL: Damn, I'd rather jump in front of a train than live on tofu n shit. :LOL:

The people were very nice and hospitable also, at least to me and my family when I was there in '95. Made it a very rewarding experience, despite we only got to see paris and nothing of the french countryside where the real rewards is for that place I wager.

Don't rule out Austria; Salzburg is amazing this time of year. Croatia sounds awesome too (haven't been there myself).

Out of those three I'd choose France - maybe a week in the Alps and a week on the south or east coast.

I'd say none of the above. Go to Italy, primarily Tuscany, Bologna, and Campania. It'll be way more relaxing, cheaper, and the food is less disgusting (e.g. tartar, foie gras, etc) than mainstay Parisian French food (with the exception of Allemagne-style french or french vietnamese).

My personal favorite place is Sorrento in Campania, but the food in Tuscany is beyond belief, and you can rent a car and spend the day driving around Chianti sampling wine, olives, vinegar, fresh Cheese and Proscuitto, at various middle ages style city-forts, and then take in some real Tuscan dishes (especially the soups) at local mom and pop restaurants.

Although, if I had to choose between the three, I'd to to Switzerland. I find Paris and London too stressful, more of a "vacation of work". That is, going to all the museums and stuff is just alot of stress and walking, I find I'm on a schedule "oh, must finish Louvre in 2 days, then go X, then Y, etc"

Prague or as DemoCoder mentioned Italy. Sorrento, the Amalfi coast and Sicily are fantastic.

Guden Oden said:
England tends to be rather rainy from my experience, or at least the London area. :D Of course, I've spent less than two months there sum total so maybe I just had bad luck what do I know.

Parliment and London is simply awesome, I've only ever been in twice and I loved it. (Well I've been to London about 20 times but thats always been with work). For scenery, Britain has it all, the Peak and Lake districts will match anything, anywhere in the world. We have more old touristy castles than you can shake a stick at too. Switzerland has the mountains though... so it depends what you like. This time of the year the UK is mostly sunny with some cloudy days. The outlook for the next week is sunny :D

France are doo doo heads.

You can't really compare the scenery in Britain with the scenery in Switzerland, they're basically two different types of landscape. Scotland is very nice, if you like desolate (and they *really* amusing accents up there), as is Wales, but the landscape here is more green hills than big f**k-off mountains with snow and all that jazz. As noted above the weather here can be kinda Northern European.

How easy is it to get around france without knowing any french?

So long as you're not English or American it's quite easy by all accounts (according to my German friends).

I said france. Though i really wanted to put "as far away from me as possible" which in this case would be Switzerland. So, go to Switzerland matey, you'll love it.

london-boy said:
I said france. Though i really wanted to put "as far away from me as possible" which in this case would be Switzerland. So, go to Switzerland matey, you'll love it.

Move to Paris you traitor! :oops:

Not before selling your place to me, super cheap 8)

you can make a combination of FRANCE and SWISS.

switzerland is very beautifull in the spring/summer !

other then that, you can go south of france to the provence or to the mediterean sea!

leave the UK , they dont want you there ;)

This might solve my problems a 10 day tour ( trying to find something a few days shorter):
EGOE_map_usa.jpg

epic

PatrickL said:
I had say go to UK; France has enough tourists like that and you should be more comfortable in that US colony :p
If i go to france, i plan of liberating as many french women (those who shave their underarms) as possible. I hear french men are horrible lovers. :p hehe.

epic

It's depends what you want, really, as each have their advantages.

If you like good food, avoid the UK :) However, we do have the advantage of speaking English and have the best nightlife. There's also a lot packed into a small place. However, places like London are expensive and noisey and generally a rip-off. Not the place to relax.

If you prefer nice scenery then try South of France or Switzerland. French have great food and wine, but will probably hate your politics :) Switzerland is beautiful but expensive, but people speak very good English (unlike in rural France).

I hear there are a lot of indian restaurants in UK, not sure about france and switz. The 2 of us are vegetarians and so food might be a small issue in some parts of europe.

epic

Back