Uh...question?

obobski

Newcomer
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9454/firecf9.jpg

That's my Pentium 4's motherboard after lighting itself on fire about 2 hours ago
thankfully I didn't have to deploy my fire extinguisher and destroy all of the other hardware
the board is from ECS (and I had just started to trust them as a brand based on dozens of good reviews and that particular systems' bullet proof stability (never had a software problem)) So, what do I do with it? Trash? Call ECS?

I have the original packaging and manual, probably can find a newegg sales record somewhere, there has to be some sort of recourse for this, I don't like being a consumer and not being able to do anything about it when the product LIT ON FIRE INSIDE MY HOUSE BECAUSE I TRIED TO TURN IT ON (no the sytsem wasn't OC'ed/modded/etc, i hit on and i got fire)

Well, there doesn't *have* to be some recourse, but there may be. It's certainly worth trying. If it is outside of the warranty period, and didn't do any other damage to other components or the rest of your house, then good old guilt is probably your only hope.

If it did damage other stuff, then maybe your home owners insurance would go after them, if the damage were enough to make that worthwhile. Otherwise, I'm not thinking of much.

Well thankfully the fire didn't take the room with it, but I'd just like to idk, make a point that this is not only no longer working after about a month of use, but that it went out in flames, literally....

oh yeah and i'm out a system now

At the very least I'd contact customer support and let them know what happened. If the company is any decent they'll send you a new replacement, or you can hastle and threaten.

I sent ECS an email about it, and got an RMA from newegg so it should go in the mail back to newegg tomorrow, I really don't need this though...just gah, is there anyway I can save all of the archives off of the HD's if/when I reload the OS using an old AN7 that I have in the closet or will Windows hate me for that?

Use windows repair install, it will keep all your files and directories but replace the os files. I think it may overwrite the My documents files though.

Even on an entirely different processor/mainboard?

never knew about that, will the programs still work though (like games?)
Also, will I have to reactivate (I have legal keys, I just don't feel like calling MS given that said legal keys are from like 2003 and i've reformatted more than the two you're allowed, and this install wasn't complaining to call MS...but I guess if I gotta call MS, joy, maybe it's linux time, lol)

Even on an entirely different processor/mainboard?

never knew about that, will the programs still work though (like games?)
Also, will I have to reactivate (I have legal keys, I just don't feel like calling MS given that said legal keys are from like 2003 and i've reformatted more than the two you're allowed, and this install wasn't complaining to call MS...but I guess if I gotta call MS, joy, maybe it's linux time, lol)

This is why XP Pro rocks. You dont have to deal with the hassle of calling MS up each time you do a format of your rig like you do in XP Home. Its just a freaking hassle to call and do it, from all the times I've done it though I swear they're on a first name basis with me.

Simply reinstall SP2, if your computer boots at all. If it doesn't, you are using the wrong HAL, and format C: is really the best thing you can do.

Use windows repair install, it will keep all your files and directories but replace the os files. I think it may overwrite the My documents files though.

I even had luck with just installing the new HW and installing new drivers after Windows boots. Did it a few times already, worked like a charm.

Back