UFC Announces UFC 94: St-Pierre vs. Penn 2

Saturday, January, 31, 2009
Live from Las Vegas at MGM Grand Garden Arena

Las Vegas, NV (USA) – In March 2006, top welterweights Georges St-Pierre and BJ Penn fought for the division’s No. 1 contender’s spot. St-Pierre earned a razor-thin split decision and went on to win the Ultimate Fighting Championship® welterweight title. Penn dropped to the lightweight division and won the organization’s 155-pound title.

Now they’re about to do it again. But this time, there’s much more at stake.

UFC® lightweight champion BJ Penn looks to be the first fighter in history to hold two UFC championships at the same time when he faces Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight championship at UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, January 31, 2009.

Two champions, two of the best in the world, pound-for-pound, and this time – two more rounds for the welterweight championship.

“This may be the most anticipated rematch in UFC history,” said Dana White, UFC President. “Their first fight was an epic battle of two of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport. After that fight, St-Pierre would go on to win the UFC World Welterweight title and Penn would go on to win the UFC World Lightweight title.

Now these two champions meet again with a lot of pride and St-Pierre's title on the line. This fight will be talked about for years to come.”

Tickets for UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2 priced at $750, $500, $300, $200, $100 and $50, not including applicable service charges, go on sale Sunday, Nov. 16 at 10 a.m. at all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith’s Food and Drug Centers and Ritmo Latino). Ticket sales are limited to ten (10) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.ufc.com, www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

UFC® Fight Club™ members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Thursday, November 13 at 10 a.m. PT via the website ufc.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers Saturday, November 15 starting at 10am PT. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through ufc.com.

UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2 will be available live on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. EST/7 p.m. PST on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu, Shaw Communications and Viewer’s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $44.95 for standard definition or high-definition broadcasts (where available).

One of the sport’s most dynamic athletes, Georges St-Pierre (17-2) will be prepared to go five rounds to defend his UFC welterweight championship. The Montreal, Canada native has won his last four fights and nine out of his last 10. Most recently, the popular champ defeated number one contender Jon Fitch in a five round war, and at 27, he is in the prime of his brilliant fighting career and looking to send Penn back to the 155-pound weight class.

“I'm very honored to fight BJ Penn and very excited because it's the fight that everybody wants to see, including myself,” said St-Pierre. “It will be one of the most anticipated fights in UFC history, and I'm glad and humbled to be a part of it.”

The welterweight division is old hat for Hilo, Hawaii’s BJ Penn (14-4-1). The current UFC lightweight champion earned the welterweight title in 2004 with a submission victory over UFC legend Matt Hughes. But Penn has been even more untouchable since moving back to the lightweight division. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has won his last three fights against three world-class foes in Jens Pulver, Joe Stevenson and Sean Sherk. But the only thing on Penn’s mind right now is a return to the welterweight division for a healthy dose of revenge.

“For that fight, I was at a point in my career where I didn’t prepare as well as I should have,” Penn said. “During the second and third round I realized that I ran into someone that wanted it more than I did…Now, I’m very prepared to go five rounds.”

News Source: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15765

-------------------------

This should be one awesome match. St-Pierre won the last time around, but Penn was still in his old ways. Since he lost to St-Pierre, Penn has definitely improved his cardio and the last two fights he has shown that he should be able to make five rounds now without running out of breath.

It's definitely going to be an awesome match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, thanks for posting. Such an exciting match. I have a lot of time for both these guys although I always feel that Penn could apply himself a little better.

As for GSP? Pfff, one of the most complete fighters out there. That's what I like about him. After all, it is MMA.

Yep agreed. It was only after Penn lost to St. Pierre the first time that I think he realised how bad his cardio was. Since he went back to the 155 pound, he has worked on his cardio and it showed vs. Pulver, Stevenson and Sherk.

St. Pierre's work rate is awesome and he's in a league of his own, so it's up to Penn to prove otherwise.

US

This fight is quite hyped up, but I have a hard time seeing GSP having much trouble. There's always the possibility of getting caught as he did against Serra, but I can't see Penn controlling the fight or winning a decision. Naturally, I'll be rooting for GSP, though.

MulciberXP, you're right. BJ really should have had to fight another welterweight or two first, just like Couture should have had to fight a HW before facing Sylvia, but that's business. GSP v. Penn is very appetizing to the fans and the timing is right due to BJ's domination at lightweight. If he lost to another WW first, it would be hard to justify a fight and dampen interest, too.

Jan-31-2009 7pm PT/10pm ET

In March 2006, top welterweights Georges St-Pierre and BJ Penn fought for the division’s No. 1 contender’s spot. St-Pierre earned a razor-thin split decision and went on to win the Ultimate Fighting Championship® welterweight title. Penn dropped to the lightweight division and won the organization’s 155-pound title.

Now they’re about to do it again. But this time, there’s much more at stake. UFC® lightweight champion BJ Penn looks to be the first fighter in history to hold two UFC® championships at the same time when he faces Georges St-Pierre for the UFC® welterweight championship at UFC® 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, January 31, 2009.

News Source: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventdetail.fightCard&eid=1816

---------------------------

Tomorrow. Can't wait :)

Yea, I'm hoping the weather cooperates and lets me drive out of town as I usually do to watch the fight with my cousins (they live a good 55 minutes away).

$44.95 to watch on tv - bloody hell, theres a possiblity it doesnt even last 1 minute
That happens with boxing sometimes, but because MMA is still trying to grow its audiences the events usually have several compelling fights.

I ordered the two Affliction events, and even thought the headline fights only lasted 36 seconds and 3 minutes, respectively, they were very exciting and there were a good 3-5 other fights in each event that had big implications in the pecking order of each division.

Wow, the Title fight was awesome. The winner deserved it completely and now seems the next title fight is against Tiago Alves. The Tiago Silva/Machida fight was also very good. The Bonnar/Jones fight was impressive, although the winner needs to do lots of cardio work.

US

Wow, the Title fight was awesome. The winner deserved it completely and now seems the next title fight is against Tiago Alves.
US

While the winner deserved it I can't agree when you called the fight awsome.
It was a one way fight, with GSP dominating BJ, and while I thought BJ did well to hold out for as many rounds as he did, he didn't have anyting to come with.
And I think that BJ should start training seriously, especially cardio, if he ever really wants a shot at the title, talent only takes you so far.

It just showed that BJ should stay in 155, GSP has such an impressive physique that a small naturally 155lb man just don't stand a chance and BJ was and still is the top guy in 155. I hope he fights Florian soon, as I like him too. Machida was awesome!!

What's with the spoiler tags? This is B3D, the event is over, and everyone with any interest in the topic already knows the result.

rendezvous, just because a fight is one-sided doesn't mean it can't be awesome. The odds never really deviated much from 50-50, with betting sites having GSP as a slight favourite and fans marginally voting Penn as the predicted winner. When you see absolute domination like that, it really is an awesome display of power and skill. Did you see the GSP-Fitch fight? Again, domination by GSP, but very entertaining to watch as a complete display of MMA.

I don't think cardio was BJ's problem at all. GSP was just better in every aspect of the game. Anyone who took the beating Penn did in round 2 would start wearing down.

Penn just needs to stay in lightweight where he's not so overmatched. He'll have some decent competition from Florian and others. GSP vs. Alves will definately be more competitive, but watching him spar with Rashad Evans - the champ at two weight classes above GSP! - and still look competitive makes me think that nobody is going to beat him very easily. He and his camp seem pretty intelligent, too, so it's going to be hard to catch him with a mistake in fighting or in strategy.

Horses for Courses I guess.
First of all I'm not particulary fond of ground fighting, and when one part just covers his head the dynamics and tension are completely lost.

I guess I felt some tension because BJ is pretty dangerous on the ground, and I was in awe because GSP was doing things to BJ (like repeatedly passing his guard) that no fighter has before.

Even if you're mostly a standup guy, you had to like that superman jab. :cool:

Back