Ubuntu Linux PS3

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
http://psubuntu.com/installation-instructions/

I ve recently heard of a very accessible, easy to use and install Linux on the PS3 and I am going to install it on a friend's PS3.

I came across two versions of Ubuntu though. One is the standard version and the other is supposed to be a lighter version.

Personally I d go for the lighter version for the PS3 but I am not sure if there are any limitations compared to the standard one. Are there any things Xubuntu can not do that Ubuntu can? I did a search but couldnt find anything on the matter. Only the fact that Xubuntu uses a different enviroment

Can anyone inform me on this?

Just in case you know can I run certain movie files through Linux on a PS3 that are incompatible in the XMB like Dvix files?

I tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu and I like Xubuntu better.
The greatest differences I found (I haven't had used Ubuntu for a long time though):
moving icons around the desktop on a raster only
no drag 'n drop in the start menu
the file manager doesn't tell you in the status bar that you've copied a file to the clipboard, it's Windows like in the context menu

I like the Xfce desktop environment (and the pre installed gxine multimedia player which has DVD menus an on screen navigation) of Xubuntu much better.
If you like, you can have desktop effects too like transparent windows or shadows (there are no animations though).
I didn't try Kubuntu but Xubuntu provides a great sound tray icon with (OMG) direct access to the volume. :)

edit:
I don't know what XMB means but on the PC you can play basically any file you want. The installation of many proprietary codecs is easy but illegal in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu and I like Xubuntu better.
The greatest differences I found (I haven't had used Ubuntu for a long time though):
moving icons around the desktop on a raster only
no drag 'n drop in the start menu
the file manager doesn't tell you in the status bar that you've copied a file to the clipboard, it's Windows like in the context menu

I like the Xfce desktop environment (and the pre installed gxine multimedia player which has DVD menus an on screen navigation) of Xubuntu much better.
If you like, you can have desktop effects too like transparent windows or shadows (there are no animations though).
I didn't try Kubuntu but Xubuntu provides a great sound tray icon with (OMG) direct access to the volume. :)

edit:
I don't know what XMB means but on the PC you can play basically any file you want. The installation of many proprietary codecs is easy but illegal in the US.
Also Real Player for Linux is pretty good if you really need ra files. It seems to play a lot too.

thanx for the info buddy :D

Thanks Shifty Geezer! :)

No problem Nesh. :)
I wanted to add that gxine plays rm files too but I couldn't set it up. Now that works too. You need to download the gxine Mozilla plug-in via Synaptic (I couldn't find it in add/remove programs).

The installation of many proprietary codecs is easy but illegal in the US.

There shouldn't be anything illegal about installing codecs unless they've been ripped out of another system. You might be breaching someone's patents but that's not actually illegal.

I have no idea. :) I read about this in texts about why the codecs aren't included in the distribution.

I have no idea. :) I read about this in texts about why the codecs aren't included in the distribution.

Actually the distributors would be subject to license fees. That's why they're not included in the distributions.

Back