Tsunami Pics: Before and after, aerial view

I feel very bad but how many times must we learn this lesson .

It seems like 2 or 3 times a year we learn it in florida . Do not build on the coast . Its very dangrous for any number of reasons

Take another look at the pictures. Buildings miles inland were wiped out and even entire islands got submerged. How far away from the ocean do you propose people should live?

I remember when the Mississippi River reached an unusually severe flood stage... homes 11 miles from the river got flooded.

Every point on, above, and below the face of the earth has risks.

The buildings in Aceh are likely damaged by earthquake, not necessarily tsunami.

jvd said:
I feel very bad but how many times must we learn this lesson .

It seems like 2 or 3 times a year we learn it in florida . Do not build on the coast . Its very dangrous for any number of reasons

So how where are the subsistance level fishermen to live?

Also a lot of the buildings etc in Thailand would be tourism related, and you know the beaches may have been the attraction..

pcchen said:
The buildings in Aceh are likely damaged by earthquake, not necessarily tsunami.
Looks to me like they were damaged by earthquake and tsunami. You can see the water went far inland by the discoloration it causes. In this pic, note the discolored river and debris jammed at the bridges; I think the tsunami reached somewhere further upstream.

Back