TSMC and nvidia

dizietsma

Banned
In the last few months we have been given rumours that in the medium term Ati will be using AMD Fab production ( 2008-2009)

Given that, do you think that TSMC will give nvidia a good deal on production for current G80 considering they seem to be in with TSMC for the long haul?

Wouldn't that be counter productive? Surely they would want to keep a customer by whatever means they have, rather than push them further towards using internal processes?

Wouldn't that be counter productive? Surely they would want to keep a customer by whatever means they have, rather than push them further towards using internal processes?
Plus, AMD doesn't have anywhere close to the fab capacity for ATI at this point. They've had enough trouble with capacity for their own chips as it is.

And you might even think that this could be seen as an opportunity to get the foot in the door and open up the newfound relationship with AMD to extend beyond their graphics supply...

Hmm, I thought this was going to be a thread about "How about if Nvidia actually purchased TSMC?"
Too big? Would be a good way to put the boot in to ATI but then, getting on the bad side of AMDTI that way wouldn't really be a good idea would it?

Hmm, I thought this was going to be a thread about "How about if Nvidia actually purchased TSMC?" Too big?
TSMC is much, much bigger than NVIDIA. If NV suddenly decided to acquire a fab, the only one it could afford is Chartered. UMC is roughly the same size as NVIDIA too, in terms of market capitalization, so that's also too big right now.

Uttar

Hmm, I thought this was going to be a thread about "How about if Nvidia actually purchased TSMC?"
Too big? Would be a good way to put the boot in to ATI but then, getting on the bad side of AMDTI that way wouldn't really be a good idea would it?

Today TSMC market capacity 49.60 billion $ , NVIDIA market capacity 12.02 billion $.

It would be a more plausible thing if it was like "How about if TSMC actually purchase NVIDIA and AMD/ATI?"
:D
lol

TSMC is much, much bigger than NVIDIA. If NV suddenly decided to acquire a fab, the only one it could afford is Chartered. UMC is roughly the same size as NVIDIA too, in terms of market capitalization, so that's also too big right now.

Uttar

Chartered is still working with AMD, right? I remember that they signed an agreement about producing some x86 chips a while back, and as far as I know, it's still on the books.

If Nvidia did make a move on Chartered, AMD would have a real interest in stopping it, unless there's some reason Nvidia wouldn't put the hurt on a direct competitor.

Back