Trinity vs Ivy Bridge

Well that was just the 1.7 GHz chip and there will be a 2GHz one so it will rise by a little more. I think what is going on is intel has benched IVB vs older chips in order to get the 60% figure that was talked about. It'll be closer to 50% best case, and generally 30%-40% faster in my opinion.

Even if this 17W Ivy Bridge hits 13 fps, Trinity @17W will be a good 50% faster at ~20 fps. Again I believe this is also as good as it will get in a comparison and Trinity will be further ahead in actual gaming.

I meant GPU clocks. And again, OpenGL benchmarks could differ to d3d Benchmarks. Intel is weak in OpenGL. AMD supports OpenGL 4.2 whereas Intel just 3.1.

Well that was just the 1.7 GHz chip and there will be a 2GHz one so it will rise by a little more. I think what is going on is intel has benched IVB vs older chips in order to get the 60% figure that was talked about. It'll be closer to 50% best case, and generally 30%-40% faster in my opinion.

Even if this 17W Ivy Bridge hits 13 fps, Trinity @17W will be a good 50% faster at ~20 fps. Again I believe this is also as good as it will get in a comparison and Trinity will be further ahead in actual gaming.

Not to mention the fact that the top-performer 17W Trinity will probably cost like 1/3rd of the top-performer 18W Ivy Bridge.

Intel actually promises an almost 3x increase for "Vantage Performance" performance compared to a somehow strange Ci7 2600k with HD2000 graphics - at least for desktops:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...y_Bridge_Performance_Numbers_to_Partners.html

TBH, I don't know how much the clock targets for IVB-graphics differ from desktop to mobile to ULV, but this might give a notion for the gains we can expect from an architectural overhaul.

IIRC, back in the Athlon XP/64 days there were sometimes large differences in overclockability between CPUs from different fabs, even if they had the same name.

From the 3DCenter.de Forum:

http://wcc.on24.com/event/40/32/51/rt/1/documents/player_docanchr_1/part4.pdf

=> page 14 is rather interesting

it seems that the 17W Trinity will only have one module, otherwise the rather pathetic productivity-performance of the 17W Trinity APU would be a disaster.

=> Therefore only the 25W Trinity should have 4 cores.

=> it seems AMD used a 2-core Llano A4 with 35W for the perf./w comparison and not a 4-core A8.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Fusion-A83500M-ASeries-Llano-APU-Review/?page=5

vantage.png

Having thought about it some more you may well be right. I don't see how a quad can score 3500 in this while having almost double perf/watt.

The plot thickens though - what's going on here?

amd-a6-3400m-review.png

That's overall score, however it's still pretty bizarre. Based on that it could be a relatively fast dual core or relatively slow quad and score about the same.

Note also there are a lot of disk related benchmarks in the productivity score which might help explain why Brazos isn't so far behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the 3DCenter.de Forum:

http://wcc.on24.com/event/40/32/51/rt/1/documents/player_docanchr_1/part4.pdf

=> page 14 is rather interesting

it seems that the 17W Trinity will only have one module, otherwise the rather pathetic productivity-performance of the 17W Trinity APU would be a disaster.

=> Therefore only the 25W Trinity should have 4 cores.

=> it seems AMD used a 2-core Llano A4 with 35W for the perf./w comparison and not a 4-core A8.

And you assumed all that from..?
Slide 14 is measuring what results, exactly? You're assuming it's PCMark Vantage?

And even if that's PCMarg Vantage:
The 17W Trinity is probably clocked @ ~1.2GHz. Why wouldn't it be a 2-module/4-core chip, given it has ~26% less "productivity score" as an A8-3500M 4-core Llano @ 1.5GHz (which turboes up to 2.4GHz)?

Seems more like just another confirmation that it's a 2-module, if you look at the numbers.

But the GPU seems to be seriously cut-down, though :(

Last edited by a moderator:
trinity3dm.JPG

It seems the 25W Trinity is a "monster" in GPU performance, though.

Back