Trials: evolution. [xbla]

Yes! Off to buy more Trials goodness :) I like to see there are a ton of new mini game challenges and MP tracks.

The new tracks are really fun. Went through all of them. I liked how the tracks were not gimmicky. I don't care for the ones with moving background/varied gravity and such.

Really good DLC.

I have enjoyed the new DLC. We like the new MP maps, I agree with Robert I like the mix of normal maps and that they are not gimmicks, and a couple of the skill games are fun. Well worth the 400pts!

Just wanted to mention, Trials Evo for PC is up for pre-order ($20) including immediate beta access! http://store.steampowered.com/app/220160/

Will be trying it out tonight.

[Edit] UGGGHHH. Just tried the beta real quickly and this is trending to set new records in the "bad port" category. Requires uplay, which is glitchy as hell, seems to render at native Xbox resolution and upsample always ingame (wtf guys?), multiplayer seems broken, etc. etc.

I love this game, and it could be great in high res on PC... of course it's just beta so far, but all the signs are pointing towards a half-assed job. I'd sort of expect that from Ubi, but not RedLynx (and I know, you're probably not involved right?).

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this game, and it could be great in high res on PC... of course it's just beta so far, but all the signs are pointing towards a half-assed job. I'd sort of expect that from Ubi, but not RedLynx (and I know, you're probably not involved right?).
Quoted from the press release: "Trials Evolution: Gold Edition is developed by Ubisoft Shanghai under the supervision of RedLynx, a Ubisoft studio.".
seems to render at native Xbox resolution and upsample always ingame (wtf guys?)
It should support resolutions up to 2560x1600, and render at native resolution. I have to file a bug report about this. The game did render at native 1920x1200 the last time tried a beta build (and did run at stable v-synch 60 fps on my Radeon 7950). Shanghai did also add some graphics effects such as SSAO, better post AA, water reflections and better vegetation shading to the game. It looks pretty good when it runs at native resolution + all eye candy turned on. It's sad to hear that there seems to be still so many technical problems at this late stage of the beta. I hope they get all the remaining issues fixed before the release.

Shanghai did also add some graphics effects such as SSAO, better post AA, water reflections and better vegetation shading to the game.

So they hit the nail on the head. Those were the most needed features. Your game must look spetacular with all that!

Quoted from the press release: "Trials Evolution: Gold Edition is developed by Ubisoft Shanghai under the supervision of RedLynx, a Ubisoft studio.".
Understood, but TBH I'm not so much looking to assign blame as to get it fixed :S Mostly just venting my frustration given how good technically the RedLynx stuff has been in the past.

It should support resolutions up to 2560x1600, and render at native resolution. I have to file a bug report about this. The game did render at native 1920x1200 the last time tried a beta build (and did run at stable v-synch 60 fps on my Radeon 7950).
Good to hear, I was scared that it was an intentional design decision/limitation for some reason. I'm glad to hear that this is not the case and that it will hopefully be addressed.

To be fair, upon reflection it's not *worse* than the Xbox version, but currently it also doesn't really offer anything extra either. Hopefully before release we can see the resolution thing fixed and maybe some of the shadow quality settings bumped up a bit too... they are still surprisingly low resolution for PC.

Anyways thanks for taking the time to respond sebbbi.

Understood, but TBH I'm not so much looking to assign blame as to get it fixed :S Mostly just venting my frustration given how good technically the RedLynx stuff has been in the past.
No problem! All feedback is of course welcome. That's what beta test is all about. Ubisoft Shanghai and Redlynx are trying to hard to get the bugs fixed before the release date.
Hopefully before release we can see the resolution thing fixed and maybe some of the shadow quality settings bumped up a bit too... they are still surprisingly low resolution for PC.
Could you give the details of your GPU, so I can file a bug about this. GPU model, and how much memory it has should be enough. Also you should be able to increase the shadow map resolution with the shadow quality slider... if that is also broken, the bug must affect the whole graphics settings screen :(

So the PC version is a Chinese knockoff? :)

Btw Sebbi, can't wait for Trails for next gen. That's gonna be awesome.

Could you give the details of your GPU, so I can file a bug about this. GPU model, and how much memory it has should be enough. Also you should be able to increase the shadow map resolution with the shadow quality slider... if that is also broken, the bug must affect the whole graphics settings screen :(
Sure this is on a GTX 680... I think they are 2GB? If you need it tested on a variety of other machines/GPUs I have around I'm happy to oblige, although I imagine you folks have access to just as many/more :)

I set all settings to max including shadows, so not sure what's up. The shadow resolution naively appeared to be about what it is on console... maybe slightly higher but certainly not what I'm used to on PC.

Ack, I was just thinking about picking that up, but I'm kind of leery of XBLA ports to PC as many of them don't bother to include the ability to reconfigure key bindings properly. And I still prefer keyboard and mouse for most games even though I can use my Xbox controller on the PC. Hell even some AAA games (looking at you Skyrim) don't properly allow for reconfiguring key bindings.

It made the game Renegade Ops completely unplayable for me due to this. So that was wasted money. Keyboard to move and mouse to aim is what I'm comfortable with for "dual stick" top down shooters. I just can't get used to "dual stick" top down shooter controls on a controller.

Andrew or sebbbi, can you see whether it has fully reconfigurable key bindings? If it does, I may still take a chance on this.

Regards,
SB

SB: It does have fully reconfigurable keys, so no worries there.

To be fair in its current state it's not really any *worse* than the XBLA version, it's just not a whole lot better given how much more powerful PCs are. Still, if it's mostly bugs preventing higher quality, it'll probably end up in good shape, and at $20 (including all the DLC) it's hard to complain too much...

Andrew or sebbbi, can you see whether it has fully reconfigurable key bindings? If it does, I may still take a chance on this.
Yes, all keys are fully configurable. The game supports keyboard, pad and mouse. You can even put two players on the same keyboard (for local multiplayer). All the UI screens are fully functional with just keyboard, or just mouse or just pad, you don't have to change the control device on fly. The track editor has two modes: The pad mode is identical to the Xbox 360 editor in functionality (we recommend a Xbox 360 pad for that mode, as some pads do not have all the buttons, especially the analog thumbstick presses). The keyboard+mouse mode has a brand new user interface, designed specially for PC.

The game is still in beta. A big update is scheduled just before the launch. It should fix most of the issues encountered in beta. Patience please :)

The game is still in beta. A big update is scheduled just before the launch. It should fix most of the issues encountered in beta. Patience please :)
No problem, as I said I was just worried that some of the things were "by design" things rather than seen as "issues". As long as they will get fixed, I can wait however long :)

Thanks again for clarifying.

SB: It does have fully reconfigurable keys, so no worries there.

To be fair in its current state it's not really any *worse* than the XBLA version, it's just not a whole lot better given how much more powerful PCs are. Still, if it's mostly bugs preventing higher quality, it'll probably end up in good shape, and at $20 (including all the DLC) it's hard to complain too much...

Yes, all keys are fully configurable. The game supports keyboard, pad and mouse. You can even put two players on the same keyboard (for local multiplayer). All the UI screens are fully functional with just keyboard, or just mouse or just pad, you don't have to change the control device on fly. The track editor has two modes: The pad mode is identical to the Xbox 360 editor in functionality (we recommend a Xbox 360 pad for that mode, as some pads do not have all the buttons, especially the analog thumbstick presses). The keyboard+mouse mode has a brand new user interface, designed specially for PC.

Awesome, thanks. :) Putting this on my wishlist for when I have time to actually play games. :)

Regards,
SB

Andrew, there was some discussion of the resolution bug in our support forum. Someone found a workaround for it:
1-Load the game and choose any track
2-Once in a track adjust your resolution setting down
3-Then adjust them back up again.

Fixing this bug will be high priority, because it makes the game look rather bad... 720p upscaled isn't something people expect from a PC game :oops:

Ahh nice thanks for the heads up!

Fixing this bug will be high priority, because it makes the game look rather bad... 720p upscaled isn't something people expect from a PC game :oops:
Yeah no doubt, you can somewhat understand my initial rage now? I admit I jumped to the conclusion that it was a design feature but you have to admit, it's a slightly weird thing to be a "bug" :)

In any case that's great news, will use the workaround in the mean time. Much prettier now in 2560x1600 (I can see all the spokes on the bike!) :D Shadow res could still use a bump I think, but otherwise it's looking good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back