Toshiba Strikes first: Showcases HD-DVD enabled laptop

rabidrabbit said:
While not TV's, there are display devices that already support 10+80p through HDMI.
Sony's VPL-VW100 projector is fully equipped for 1080p.
Being a close to €10 000 device it's still for an HT enthusiast market, but I wouldn't be surprised if more 1080p projectors will become available towards the next year, and at more affordable prices.
I personally believe you can buy a 1080p display device in the first quarter of 2007 for less than €3000, but that might be more just wishful thinking.

There are 1080p TVs or projectors around, the problem is that none of them can take 1080p through HDMI, only through analog component. Haven't followed for a couple of weeks so things might have changed, but until not too long ago, nothing could take 1080p though HDMI.
Even the new prototype Sony 1080p X-series or whatever it's called, can't take 1080p through HDMI, and that's not even been released.

Not only that but some of the displays that claim to be able to take a 1080p signal downscales it to 720p anyway so what's the point? An example is the Optima projectors.

NANOTEC said:
Not only that but some of the displays that claim to be able to take a 1080p signal downscales it to 720p anyway so what's the point? An example is the Optima projectors.
Obviously those that are native 720p, or less than 1080p resolution will scale 1080p down.
But there are devices that are 1080p already, that was my point, and that the price of them is likely to come down from the +€10 000 substantially and one can hope it won't take that long.

Whee. $600 for a pc drive that is player-only? That's not going to be a mass market phenomenon for awhile!

rabidrabbit said:
Obviously those that are native 720p, or less than 1080p resolution will scale 1080p down.
But there are devices that are 1080p already, that was my point, and that the price of them is likely to come down from the +€10 000 substantially and one can hope it won't take that long.

Well, out of ALL the big names, only HP models can accept 1080p through HDMI. That excludes all of the Samsung, Sony, JVC, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi etc.

london-boy said:
There are 1080p TVs or projectors around, the problem is that none of them can take 1080p through HDMI, only through analog component. Haven't followed for a couple of weeks so things might have changed, but until not too long ago, nothing could take 1080p though HDMI.
Again, there are TVs that take 1080p over HDMI, and they have been around a lot longer than a few weeks. I'm pretty sure the first was the HP md5880n, which came out last October.

kyleb said:
Again, there are TVs that take 1080p over HDMI, and they have been around a lot longer than a few weeks. I'm pretty sure the first was the HP md5880n, which came out last October.
hey i did say i'm out of date :LOL:

Back