Top console exclusives (US releases)

Tagrineth said:
Vice City is on two Consoles. Just like GTA3.

HALO is not.

I <3 Hair-splitting. To differentiate as you did between a "console" and a "PC" is kinda out there in this context, don't ya think?

Vince said:
Tagrineth said:

HALO is not.

I <3 Hair-splitting. To differentiate as you did between a "console" and a "PC" is kinda out there in this context, don't ya think?

Hey, I wasn't the first to do it.

The first list includes games with PC ports, a later list removes the games with PC ports. Incidentally that list also doesn't have HALO on it.

evil said:
Did you see the site in question? www.gamerankings.com have a look. Averages of all reviews out there. I'd say that's as reliable as you can get on the net
Game sales only tell you how hyped a game was ;p

Then you tell me what the point of the original list was? Prove which console has the best games? That's just relative. More interesting would be to messure what impact each franchise has or something like that. Anything would be more of an indication than reviews that don't even cover your personal opinion.

Tagrineth said:

HALO is not.

I might be missing something but on which other console is Vice City because AFAIK, ViceCity is still exclusive. GTA3 was on PS2 exclusive for a vast amount of time. GTA3 aswell as Halo belong on the list. Halo can be considered 'multi platform' as much as GTA3 or ViceCity. Point is, Johnny Awesome missed GTA/ViceCity on his list accoarding to his rules and is at that, neglecting the two games with the biggest impact so far this generation on any platform.

GTA3/VC bundle has been released on PS2/XB few days back. Why I consider GTA3/VC exclusive to PS2 is becse they helped sell massive units of PS2 and though they have been released for PC/XB now, they are not expected to do the same magic. Also they are being released after a long gap. Next GTA title is also PS2 exclusive.

I'll grant Halo and KOTOR but the rest of the xbox exclusive list is weak. I would say pathetic in regards to what will be moving consoles this holiday.

PDO? Doesn't matter how much you personally love the game, it sold Jak squat. Same goes for JSRF

With the sole exception of GT3, racing is a niche genre. The five xbox exclusive racing titles on Johnny's list might sell a handful of consoles, at best.

Two mech titles, an even smaller niche genre than racing

Top Spin. Ahhh, best tennis game eva! Yes, sports is a huge genre. Just think for second though. Either Tiger Woods Golf or Madden will probably generate more revenue in taxes alone than the entire retail sales for all the tennis games on every system combined. Just a rough guess but you see what I'm getting at.

Neither Crimson Skies nor Marrowind have the type of mass appeal that will be the deciding factor for those shopping for a console this holiday. Most folks interested in those type of games, knowing enough about them to be interested, have played them on PC or own an xbox already.

What will move consoles this xmas? I'll offer a few more items not listed;

R&C: Going Commando, it's being heavily advertised and is a definite eye catcher. The commercials are a crack up.

FFX-2, or FF meets Charlie's angels. Say what you will about the game, the series is a RPG superpower unlike what any other console has mustered so far. Zelda is/was pretty close, Star Wars not even.

Manhunt, the buzz for this one is starting out red hot so far. Personally I don't think GTA:VC sold anywhere near the # of PS2s xbox fans want to believe but since I'll never convince them of that, this game will probably prove to feel even more of a burn than GTA:VC. This bad boy could get enough PR via goody-two-shoes-up-in-arms on the nightly news than all the xbox ads put together. Yeah, that's right. It's going to sell PS2s.

Last but not least, over 8 years worth of AAA titles. Console buyers this late in the cycle are being notoriously cheap if it's not a second system they're after. They'll see three times the shelf space devoted to PS2 games and it's a no-brainer where the bargains will be found. In that vain, at $99 GC has a nice edge going for it this holiday to go with its own long unique history of good gaming.

Xbox? Barring something unforseen, I'd have to wager 4th place, behind PSOne

Back