Too Human interview

I saw a video preview of this. And the scripted camera in this game really turns me off.

The camera is set by the developer and not controled by the user. They think letting the user controls the camera adds too much complexity to the game for casual gamers to enjoy. They rather let the player have more control over the combat actions instead.

So it's always going to look pretty, but I think playing it is going to feel really railed and even frustrating. One person who played it says that at some points the camera will cut to the enemies point of view instead of the player. Sometimes you will see out of the enemies eye from their first person view, and it will have a yellow tint or look slightly different etc, this is all during your gameplay not a cut scene.

Now I have not played the game personally, and maybe these kinds of ideas are cool to some people, but personally if a game pulled that shit on me and it caused me to die, I would probably just throw down the controler and never play the game again.

inefficient said:
INow I have not played the game personally, and maybe these kinds of ideas are cool to some people, but personally if a game pulled that shit on me and it caused me to die, I would probably just throw down the controler and never play the game again.

I'd agree this could break the game. But I expect SK to be aware of it too. Fingers crossed then...

Scripted cameras are always a bad idea. I've never known them work well. When you get dynamic views that suddenly switch viewpoint, the controls get hideously muddled. I've known in more than one game a case where the player character walks back and forth across a switch point because when the camera changes, up becomes 'move down' and vice versa. Then you get the 'can't see what's happening' moments.

Devil may cry had scripted cameras and people didn't really complain about it. still I dunno about this game in general. Any time I see something that looks so unfinished/unpolished, and the developer mentions thier next project or version, I just know the game is in trouble.

I wish mags would stop with all this "12 years in the making" crap. Just because he might have had an idea about the game, and be thinking about it now and then and maybe done a napkin sketch or two, does not equal a game being in development for 12 years.

Anyway, the thing about the camera does have me a bit nervous. I like being able to control what i see and not being confused all the time about what is left or right. And if the camera from E3 is any indication they have a long long way to go, sometimes the camera was so far away you could hardly see your self...

Well I'm on the fence.
It was a good article. Wasn't all fan-boyish and covered quite a bit of information.

Unfortunately the bad press gathered from the E3 build definitely has not helped this game. It is a shame really, the dev's themselves were pretty open to the fact the game was in a very raw state. And really thats ok with me. These things take time, and I guess we won't be seeing this game for a year or so anyway.

Overall the author sounded genuinely intrigued and happy with the game. And thats a good thing.

The camera is not scripted - it's automatic, there's a huge difference. SK did that with Eternal Darkness and it worked gread, so ... there's hope.

Here's what IGN had to say about it:
[snip] If every third-person game of this nature featured a similar camera system, the world would truly be a better place. [snip]

That would surprise me. Winter should be possible. The new screenshots look promising.

Those aren't new screens I don't think. This game seems doubtful for release this year imo, although the press had played a demo well before E3 that by all accounts was further along than the E3 demo, and much more impressive, so maybe there's hope afterall.

I really blame MS for forcing them to have it out on the showfloor, they probably had to concentrate on just making sure it was bulletproof and didn't crash, rather than actually showcasing the gameplay.

Scripted cameras are always a bad idea. I've never known them work well. When you get dynamic views that suddenly switch viewpoint, the controls get hideously muddled. I've known in more than one game a case where the player character walks back and forth across a switch point because when the camera changes, up becomes 'move down' and vice versa. Then you get the 'can't see what's happening' moments.

God of War is very :devilish: at your comment.

New interview: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/10/developer_profi.html

Ever wonder where Too Human is? It was one of the blockbusters coming for the Xbox 360 from Microsoft Game Studios and Silicon Knights. Well, the game is still in the works but it's just not fully cooked yet for the holiday season.

Denis Dyack is the president of Silicon Knights, the St. Catharines, Canada-based developer. I chatted with him about everything except when his big game is going to ship. But it was a nice chat anyway.

it hasn't really been in development for 12 years. It's been a concept for 12 years without any actual implmentation. I know people that are friends with denis and I met him years ago as well (very briefly). I hate it when the media exagerates stuff like that.

Eternal Darkness' automatic camera worked very well. I don't recall finding it to be a problem in the slightest. If there's one thing I trust SK to do right, it's designing a camera system. However, I am highly disappointed that Dyack did not take this interview as yet another opportunity to say "Games will become the dominant form of art in the 21st century.":LOL:

I'm still completely optimistic about this game, SK has never released a bad game I don't see why they would start here. And the concept is as awesome as ever.

Back