Too Human interview

*bump*

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2007/01/17/43785/p5

Now the developer wants to prove it. I've been invited to an exclusive hands-on of the game. In the next few weeks, Fran and I will head out to Canada to go hands on with a completely playable and totally made-over version of Too Human. Updated gameplay mechanics. Enhanced graphics. You name it. And the best part for IGN readers? We'll be able to pull back the curtain on it all, giving you an in-depth view of how it plays, from combat to exploration and to RPG mechanics. We'll be able to show you its graphic improvements in gorgeous direct-feed videos and screenshots. And we'll have interviews with the guys and gals making the proeject, too.

This was one of my biggest disappointments of 2006, hopefully it emerges from its coccoon as a beautiful butterfly. :)

Nice find!

This was one of my biggest disappointments of 2006, hopefully it emerges from its coccoon as a beautiful butterfly. :)

Nice find!

Me too. Just the use of an expanded Norse Mythology made the concept interesting. The world is set in neither a dytsopian nor utopian setting which is good. I guess man vs machine is the only future of mankind?

Makes me wish for a Hyperion based video game series!

From Silicon Knights blog on IGN

After “The Ice Bucketâ€￾: A direct dump from the Xbox 360 frame buffer off a new build of Too Human. Those with keen eye will notice soft shadows, 4x AA, atmospheric scattering, cloth.... Frame rate, camera and seamless loading are no longer problems.

:?:

Since E3 we have not only fixed all of the problems we had going into the show, but we have made sweeping improvements across the board – multithreading, rendering, significantly better textures, seamless loading – all aimed at putting the Xbox 360 into overdrive. We have conducted focus tests on the game play, control, art and cameras, all aimed at making the game better. Soon we will start to reveal the story. We went into a very cold place in order to insure that Too Human’s next showing would receive a burning hot reception. Soon you will see this for yourself and our “ice bucketâ€￾ experience will be over.

http://blogs.ign.com/BlogPage.aspx?blog=silicon-knights

The lighting up close is way off. The ambient color is far too bright and it flattens everything. The lighting in the background is much richer and deeper.

At first the image fails to impress, but after looking at it for a while it's really got some nice detail going on.

The face looks a little strange, on the other hand it's nice to see something that is obviously straigt gameplay, not staged at all.

I'm wondering if there's a little joke in this image....could that be dyack's face!?

Rewriting the shadow code?

That was my first thought (posted at Xboxyde), and considering the amount of rewriting the game took anyhow it wouldn't be surprising if this was a specific design goal they wanted.

That was my first thought (posted at Xboxyde), and considering the amount of rewriting the game took anyhow it wouldn't be surprising if this was a specific design goal they wanted.

Hmm, interesting.. Do you think that is there anyway that this knowledge will pass to other UE3.0 developers (at least for 360 exclusive titles)? MSAA problem is the only drawback of UE3 engine as far as I know (at least in the gfx department)

It could be that Epic themselves have modified the shadow code and distributed it to devleopers, we can't tell it yet but there's always hope.

After “The Ice Bucketâ€￾: A direct dump from the Xbox 360 frame buffer off a new build of Too Human. Those with keen eye will notice soft shadows, 4x AA, atmospheric scattering, cloth.... Frame rate, camera and seamless loading are no longer problems.

Since E3 we have not only fixed all of the problems we had going into the show, but we have made sweeping improvements across the board – multithreading, rendering, significantly better textures, seamless loading – all aimed at putting the Xbox 360 into overdrive. We have conducted focus tests on the game play, control, art and cameras, all aimed at making the game better. Soon we will start to reveal the story. We went into a very cold place in order to insure that Too Human’s next showing would receive a burning hot reception. Soon you will see this for yourself and our “ice bucketâ€￾ experience will be over.

Funny, I recall people blasted the game due to bland gameplay, not graphical issues. So in others words, they didn't fix what was truly wrong with the game.

Funny, I recall people blasted the game due to bland gameplay, not graphical issues. So in others words, they didn't fix what was truly wrong with the game.

Hmm learn how to read:

Hundreds of times we heard criticisms like “the camera is too far outâ€, “the frame rate is badâ€, etc …†It was cold and it hurt a lot. Only this time, the cold didn’t stop for 3 days. We will never forget what it was like.
Since E3 we have not only fixed all of the problems we had going into the show, but we have made sweeping improvements across the board – multithreading, rendering, significantly better textures, seamless loading – all aimed at putting the Xbox 360 into overdrive. We have conducted focus tests on the game play, control, art and cameras, all aimed at making the game better.

I dont recall specific comments along the lines of 'the game play sucks'. The entire visual package, however, was universally chracterized as 'needs improvement'.

Go back and read some E3 previews to get a better idea of the concerns.

EDIT: Not like it matters, as pointed out by scoob, theyve addresed it all.

Back