Tomb Raider

Isn't that what Tombraider anniversary was?

Remake rather than reboot but yeah. Loved Anniversary too! Wow, did I really play that over seven years ago on PS2?. Man, I'm getting old.

I want Tomb Raider Anniversary Anniversary!

They can keep it the way they currently have it, but they should add many more tombs to explore. That way those of us that miss the past more puzzle oriented gameplay can get our fix, even if the tombs are kept optional. Finding the tombs and solving them in the current game was fun, there just weren't enough of them to me.

It'd be interesting to see how a reboot of the original game - puzzles and platforming with little combat - would appeal these days. I don't know myself but if I were an investor or publisher I wouldn't be putting my money or reputation behind it.

The whole "this-type-of-game-just-isn't-selling-in-this-day-and-age" argument always strikes me as a convenient scapegoat for having released a substandard product earlier.
There's also nothing remotely resembling hard evidence for that because nobody ever tries.
If anything, the likes of Portal or Dark Souls have proven that gamers are just as willing to invest into titles that stray from the what's-hot norm as they've always been, whereas all the failed CoD copycats suggest that that type of market is very much saturated.
Sales of the traditional TR games have been in decline because Core has milked the franchse to death over 5 consecutive years and then released a half finished, borderline broken PS2 game that's been in development hell for half a decade. Then CD came in and injected some new life into the franchise at first. Too bad they ultimately released the glitchy mess that was TR Underworld to very mixed critical reception. Yet despite that game's sorry state (which was never fixed) it still sold reasonably well, so I'm guessing TR is still a surprisingly potent brand. Then they rebooted the thing again using the popular Uncharted blueprint, and guess what, it cost them a fortune in development and marketing (that game was marketed all the way to hell and back) and ultimately it underperformed at retail regardless.

I think a traditional TR that's actually polished and ready would work just fine. It may serve an audience that's slightly more niche, but that niche is pretty damn huge and hungry because it hasn't been served well by anything for a decade. A traditional TR also doesn't need the type of budget your typical set-piece driven blockbuster with celebrity voices tends to devour.

The whole "this-type-of-game-just-isn't-selling-in-this-day-and-age" argument always strikes me as a convenient scapegoat for having released a substandard product earlier.
Nobody is saying this is the case and based on the collective comments in this threat, you're in a minority of people thinking the recent reboot was a substandard product. Excepting The Last of Us, I think Tomb Raider was the best game I played in 2013 on PlayStation 3.

There's also nothing remotely resembling hard evidence for that because nobody ever tries.
Sony gambles a lot on experimental/quirky/different games. LittleBigPlanet, flOw, Flower, Journey, Rain, Doki-Doki Universe, Tearaway. I'm sure Microsoft does as well, Viva Piñata springs to mind and I'm sure they are others.

How many of these sold tremendously well? Now review the best selling PS3 games and the best selling 360 games. What I notice is very few games not combat orientated. Are platformers not selling because nobody makes them or is nobody making them because they don't sell anyway? What were the last 3 really successful 3D platform games? Mario?

If anything, the likes of Portal or Dark Souls have proven that gamers are just as willing to invest into titles that stray from the what's-hot norm as they've always been, whereas all the failed CoD copycats suggest that that type of market is very much saturated.
Yeah, but certainly not in the volumes that others games are selling.

I think a traditional TR that's actually polished and ready would work just fine. It may serve an audience that's slightly more niche, but that niche is pretty damn huge and hungry because it hasn't been served well by anything for a decade. A traditional TR also doesn't need the type of budget your typical set-piece driven blockbuster with celebrity voices tends to devour.
Maybe, maybe not. If a developer's gameplay focus is primarily 3D platforming and puzzle solving, then they are going to have to do some pretty damn special to make it fresh, interesting and challenging. I think, in part, Tomb Raider worked so well because 3D was still in it's infancy and 3D platforming was fresh. But that was 17 years ago.

Actually Dark Souls is barely lagging behind Tomb Raider in terms of sales and Portal 2 sales are higher than both.

Actually Dark Souls is barely lagging behind Tomb Raider in terms of sales and Portal 2 sales are higher than both.
Sure you can find individual games that sell well but taking non-mainstream genres across the board, when you look at the collective sales they are much lower than shooters/combat games. It's certainly not due to lack of quality of polish of the games themselves, but non-mainstream genres just seem to have less mass market appeal.

I'm inferring from the sales figures that there is less overall appetite for games like the ones I've listed, i.e. maybe your average gamer will only pick up such a game one a year between their staple diet of mainstream genres. I think if there was a market for core platform/puzzle games like the original Tomb Raider, there would be more of them.

Then again Tomb Raider Underworld didn't do much worse when compared to the new Tomb Raider and that game (Underworld) was exploration and puzzle based. What I am saying is that when it comes to Tomb Raider, it doesn't matter if it kept to a formula that it invented rather than aping Uncharted, the sales were no different for them. In fact I'm pretty sure they made much less profit considering the higher cost of production when compared to Underworld and Legends (which sold more than the new one, but then it was available on almost every platform).

@DSoup: When I said substandard earlier release I was talking about TR Underworld, not the new game. My point was that publishers tend to blame market trends whenever something that isn't quite up to par isn't doing all that hot at retail. It's never the quality of the game that's the problem.
And if the charts you linked in your post are even remotely accurate, Sony's quirky experiments seem to be doing quite well actually. I didn't think LBP sold anywhere near as well as it apparently did.

As for platforming being a remnant of the polygonal stone age - So what? Doom came out when? 93 or something. Didn't stop developers from refining the shooting-dudes-in-the-face genre forthe last 20 years.

As for the sales: a niche game is most likely not going to do GTA numbers, but being consistently profitable is still preferable to to bankrupting your company in the chase for that one elusive smash hit. Sure, the CEOs and marketing guys probably disagree, but when the ship is sinking they usually don't go down with the crew. Instead they tend to be the assholes that walk away with a golden handshake and usually head straight towards the next hapless victim.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nice "Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - PS4/PS3 Comparison and Analysis" video on YT. TressFX looks great. Aslo (particles) lightning system seems to be nice. Unfortunately some elements are still very "last gen" like grass, explosions, water and water splashes. Also you can see pretty low polycount here and there - there are not many rocks on the ground (or other debris), the helicopter at the end of video is also pretty basic, especially for an object that is visible from up close during cut-scene. I am pretty sure that I will enjoy the game on my PS4 anyway, but probably it would be enough to jest "re-compile" U2/U3 on PS4 to run at 1080p (without any updates of models or textures) to beat this "definitive edition".

I just watched that video on youtube... Meh. Besides the hair, resolution and perhaps a bit of added texture resolution, it still looks like a last-gen game, though a very good one. It's as impressive or not as the latest CoD:Ghost on next-gen platform and its relatively minor jump to the PS3/360 version.

Well, I wasn't expecting much more to be honest. I might still get it again for PS4 since I think this Tomb Raider is a real winner and a game I wouldn't mind playing through again. One of the big surprise games this generation for sure. Are there any plans for a new Tomb Raider?

I don't think 60fps really matters to console gamers who are interested in this game considering who bought it on PS3 and 360...

Also, after this, i'd like a remastering LOU. I'd take that over Uncharted 1-3 collection. They can leave that for PSNow

I just watched that video on youtube... Meh.
I've yet to see a single YouTube video that does justice to PS4 Killzone, Assassin's Creed 4 or even Lego Marvel Superheroes! To get my Bravia to look like YouTube representations of my PS4 games, I'd have to smear it in vaseline.

I don't think 60fps really matters to console gamers who are interested in this game considering who bought it on PS3 and 360...

Also, after this, i'd like a remastering LOU. I'd take that over Uncharted 1-3 collection. They can leave that for PSNow

You cant conclude what console gamers want when most games are in 30fps and we buy them because there is no other option on the console. I am a console gamer and I miss 60fps experience on consoles

Back