Time to dump Parallel, Serial PS/2?

I beg your pardon? :?: Source... for what? The 90% figure?
I don't have one, so it could be 85% or 95%, but does it really matter?

For the first time ever just a few days ago I actually enabled one of my serial ports. I built an IR receiver(for remote control on PC) that requires a serial port to work, and it won't work with a USB/serial adapter. I would have built a USB version, but it required an IC and a ROM programmer. The serial version uses only 5 components that you can aquire from a single broken DVD player.

What I would say to do is have support for them in the chipset, and just have the connectors on an expansion port plate like some companies do for firewire support. They can be installed if needed, and if not the only space they take up are a few centimeters for a header on the PCB.

anaqer said:
I beg your pardon? :?: Source... for what? The 90% figure?
I don't have one, so it could be 85% or 95%, but does it really matter?
or 40 or 50 or 10 or ....

My point is that a motherboard maker will try to minimise costs as much as possible and maximise profits. Did abit's max line, which was legacy free (exception fdd), go anywhere? Not really.

epic

Reznor007 said:
For the first time ever just a few days ago I actually enabled one of my serial ports. I built an IR receiver(for remote control on PC) that requires a serial port to work, and it won't work with a USB/serial adapter. I would have built a USB version, but it required an IC and a ROM programmer. The serial version uses only 5 components that you can aquire from a single broken DVD player.
sounds like an interesting project. what did you program the remote to do?

epic

from the big boys:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1152214,00.asp
We also spoke with Dell, HP, and Intel about the challenge of marketing legacy free motherboards. Intel noted that every one of their customers still demands Super I/O functionality (floppy drive support, serial, and parallel ports). A spokesperson from Dell confirmed Intel's experience. Every time Dell discusses the idea of creating a legacy-free office PC with its customers, they receive strong feedback: no way.

epic

PS2 and parallel have outstayed their welcome as far as I'm concerned (although come to think of it, USB printer almost seems to be synonymous with cheap and nasty GDI printer) but leave my serial port well alone thank you!

I still find myself using these things almost every day, be it for talking to proper modems, console ports on routers and other devices, or even cables to GSM phones. It's in fact the single thing I miss most on my Mac laptop (well except perhaps the delete key :?). I've tried USB serial converters but they're a bit more quirky than a real serial port. Yay for COM1 ;)

epicstruggle said:
Did abit's max line, which was legacy free (exception fdd), go anywhere? Not really.
Because they bundled the AT7-MAX with stuff like RAID that was executed so poorly that there was space left for merely 3 PCI slots yet they tried to sell it at a premium. The second incarnation turned out a little better, but was still overpriced for a system with the lackluster KT400 chipset. IC7-MAX? Again, nasty price tag courtesy of OTES and Intel Gigabit Ethernet.

See a trend here? Of course people are not going to like you if you charge more while they may also need to, say, get an USB keyboard as well. You always have to give customers an incentive if you want to get through with any sort of change that isn't bringing immediate performance benefits or must-have features, no matter how good it would be in the long run.

I think i have misrepresenting my views. Would I purchase a legacy free motherboard? Yes. Do i think that legacy ports et al should be dropped wholesale? No.

Abit dropped the ball on their max line as you pointed out. But there are good reasons that other vendors havent followed suit, there really isnt a big overwhelming demand for legacy free mb's. The cost difference isnt that big. Id be suprised if its more than a dollar or two.

Anyways, id love to see a few mb's on sale that did away with:fdd, serial, parallel, pci, ide.

epic

epicstruggle said:
Reznor007 said:
sounds like an interesting project. what did you program the remote to do?

epic

I use it with the remote from my VCR. It has a direction pad thing for it's menus, and I mapped that to mouse movement, a few buttons for left/right click/mousewheel, buttons to control aspect ratio in DScaler, snapshots in DScaler, exit programs, task switcher, and a few other things. Girder is a very powerful remote control program(currently using the 30day trial, but I think I'll buy a copy).

It's an extremely simple project, my roomate and I built two in a matter of an hour or 2 including finding parts on some junk DVD players in the garage :)

Furthermore no SLI, but lots of noisy fans and stoopid LEDs. Color me unimpressed.
(On a slightly related note, did anybody hear of a good microATX NF4 board? :?:)

anaqer said:
Furthermore no SLI, but lots of noisy fans and stoopid LEDs.
Those fans should be virtually silent even though there's 5 of 'em. 40mm fans barely make any noise at all, and inside a case they should be pretty much impossible to hear if there's any other kind of noise going on as well. I'm uncertain of the actual benefits of SLI right now, as two of the cheaper SLI-capable cards are slower than just one of the more capable cards yet cost about as much, and two high-end cards get silly expensive and will probably get crushed performance-wise by just one next-gen high-end card. Waste of money right now if ya ask me. :p

LEDs... Well, who cares if the board got stoopid LEDs if it's good otherwise? You're not going to sit and admire them anyway, so... ;)

(On a slightly related note, did anybody hear of a good microATX NF4 board? :?:)
You won't get SLI with that either. ;)

Guden Oden said:
40mm fans barely make any noise at all, and inside a case they should be pretty much impossible to hear if there's any other kind of noise going on as well.
:oops:
The smaller the fan the higher RPM it needs to do to be of any use and percieved fan noise is first and foremost determined by the RPM, not the actual amount of air moved. Also, small fans like these are of the kind that craps out much more often than larger ones -ABIT boards in particular happen to be notorious for NB fan failures. (Even when in working condition, the fan on my NF7-S was quite audible (=annoying high-pitched noise) over the rest of the system (120mm + 2x80mm + 70mm fans).
You won't get SLI with that either. ;)
I did say slightly related, right? 8) If I ever buy a full ATX board, I want to get something in return for the bigger footprint and four more PCI slots I'm not likely to ever use just won't cut it.

Well, a parallel port and a 2-phase handshake protocol (almost) never miss data. Many people still need this legacy.

At the same time many people dont need (legacy). I think it is up to the mobo manufacturers to have diferentiated products for each market.

I am curious about what you people do with your USB ports?
I use 5 ports: printer, flash drive, digital camera, mouse, keyboard :)

pascal said:
Well, a parallel port and a 2-phase handshake protocol (almost) never miss data. Many people still need this legacy.

At the same time many people dont need (legacy). I think it is up to the mobo manufacturers to have diferentiated products for each market.

Mouse, flash linker, 2 gamepads, and memory stick.
I have a really old, crappy, and cheap digital camera that plugs into a serial port though, and I used to have a usb scanner. And I'd like a new usb printer since my parallel one ties up way too many system resources.(and is old and sucky)

Yes.

I had an Abit AT7 (I think) and it didnt have any of those. Then they released a second version, that did. :sigh: I guess too many people complained.

pascal said:
<snip>

USB Mouse (MS Explorer 3.0)
USB Keyboard (MS Internet Pro)
USB Scanner (Canon LiDE35)
USB Printer (Lexmark Z65)
2 x USB Gamepads (MS Sidewinder Pro)
USB Pen Drive (disgo)
USB Multi-Format Card Reader (Lexar Media)
USB Bluetooth Dongle (Wavelinker)
USB Modem (ModemBlaster)
USB Monitor Controller (Samsung)
USB Tetrahub (for improved USB1.1 performance) (Belkin)

:LOL:

P69

Back