Time to bore you with another demo

Reverend said:
There's only one demo I'm looking forward to and that's one show exploiting every single 3D feature (and I mean every) of the most advanced video card available. That includes the max number of instructions, max loops, max PS storage, full use of all temp registers, ppe, etc etc etc ... in other words, something that tells us if all these specs are of any real use, even in a "simple" tech demo.

Guess this will never happen :)
I'm waiting for something like that to happen in some real game in the future... :)

alexsok said:
Reverend said:
There's only one demo I'm looking forward to and that's one show exploiting every single 3D feature (and I mean every) of the most advanced video card available. That includes the max number of instructions, max loops, max PS storage, full use of all temp registers, ppe, etc etc etc ... in other words, something that tells us if all these specs are of any real use, even in a "simple" tech demo.

Guess this will never happen :)
I'm waiting for something like that to happen in some real game in the future... :)
Thumb twiddling for that long will give you RSI.

but you need to find it so you can add more effects, then a random terrain follower for the viewpoint, and make it a screensaver!

In case anyone wondered.

I just built a 1.1 Ghz Athalon, 100Mhz Sdram, using a 16mb Pro-Savage (agp 4x) card. That system gets about 3 FPS and crashes after 30 seconds or so of flying around.

Looks good until then.

One thing. You must draw the textures based on a cube. The textures are perfectly aligned but there is a small off color section in the form of a line that shows the edges of the cube.

Oh well, I'm glad its a email and web page box for someone else.

D. Beard

Humus said:
This time it's infinite terrain:
infiniteterrain.jpg

The good news is that it runs on every hardware out there. The bad news is that it will run quite slowly on cards that doesn't support GL_ATI_vertex_array_object.

http://humus2.campus.luth.se/~humus/

A cool thing generating your terrain 100% procedurally :)

You can do whole planets

http://baddoggames.com/planet/gallery.htm

The Musgrave type multi-fractal (perlin) noise functions are SIMD so they take up very little of the frame time.

Althornin said:
but you need to find it so you can add more effects, then a random terrain follower for the viewpoint, and make it a screensaver!

I'll sleep on the problem and see if I figure it out. After looking at the same code over and over for a few hours you kinda loose interest. Especially since I have some other ideas to implement too.

Re: In case anyone wondered.

dbeard said:
One thing. You must draw the textures based on a cube. The textures are perfectly aligned but there is a small off color section in the form of a line that shows the edges of the cube.

I guess you're talking about the problem with normals being clamped at the edge of the blocks. That problem is fixed now, there's a new version up on my site.

I laughed when I realized the terrain texture must be clubs (? klöver) and grass. A picture taken in your lawn, perhaps? :) Thanks for the demo!

This demo has been updated to support GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension. I left support for GL_ATI_vertex_array_object in there for the time being.

Nice colouring, but basically the same terrain demo you've all seen before. Terrain which means sine wave hills, not really terrain as such, which to me would be cliffs with crashing waves, beaches, forests, grasslands, glaciers, deserts, etc. :)

Yes, it's the same demo. Only difference is that I updated it to support the new VBO extension so that it should run fine on all hardware, as long as the extension is supported that is.

Humus congrats on yet another cool demo. I like this one particularly sense I can run it on my old.... old Geforce DDR. :) I was wondering if it is overly difficult though to create the land so that it is solid? I suspect that this prospect makes the creation of the demo considerably more difficult though or am I wrong here. Anyhow cool demo, thanks.

Well, again, this demo is not new, I just updated an old demo and bumped this old thread. Anyway, solid land, well that would mean collision detection, which shouldn't be too hard.

In the Martian Terrain version I did based on this, I put in trivial collision detection (your the viewpoint Y is not allowed to be less than the ground level). You can still see through the ground sometimes, though, because the viewpoint can be below the ground level that is at the near plane.

Another thing to do (that I haven't done) to "solidify" the ground is to get rid of the cracks in the terrain that appear because of the LOD implementation.

Back