Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
This time it's infinite terrain:
infiniteterrain.jpg

Runs on every hardware out there.

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Edit: Fixed old non-working links.

The demo looks good. I had a small problem with FSAA not working, but I've not tested my 8500 and FSAA in other opengl aps to see if it's my fault.

Strangely enough, I get 50fps windowed (1.4ghz athlonXP, 256mb ddr, radeon 8500) and 20 fps full screen.

Nice work! Runs ok on my home system (PIII-S@1.47GHz, Ti4400), average of just over 30fps . . .

So, Humus, when's your scattered lighting demo coming? ;)

ta,
-Sascha.rb

Hey that demo reminds me of Cybermorph for the Atari Jaguar ages ago.. except you get texture shading and FSAA with this one....

Why I reckon you could make some sort of game with it... great - it is your best one yet.

I agree, this is your best demo yet. Extremely nice. All you need to add is some nice water effect in the valleys and I'd use it for a screen saver!!

tkopp said:
The demo looks good. I had a small problem with FSAA not working, but I've not tested my 8500 and FSAA in other opengl aps to see if it's my fault.

Strangely enough, I get 50fps windowed (1.4ghz athlonXP, 256mb ddr, radeon 8500) and 20 fps full screen.

Hmm...I get 55 and above full screen, on a TBird @ 1.3 GHz and AIW 8500, so something is wonky there.

OTOH, it crashes after I've been scrolling around the terrain for a bit after stuttering occasionally. This was right after running half-life, so maybe that is related.

Looks real nice! I get average about 48 fps fullscreen, and it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I run (from 640x480 up to 1600x1200 its still in the mid to high 40's framerate).

I'm running: AthlonXP 2100+ (@stock 1.73 GHz)
GeForce4 Ti4400 (275/550 MHz)
512 MB Ram (PC2700, 333 MHz)
Windows 98SE

misae said:
great - it is your best one yet.
cellarboy said:
I agree, this is your best demo yet.

Really? I didn't quite expect such comments. While I'm quite satisfied with the results I never viewed this demo as very impressive visually.

demalion said:
OTOH, it crashes after I've been scrolling around the terrain for a bit after stuttering occasionally. This was right after running half-life, so maybe that is related.

I think there's some glitch in my code. I have occasonally got crashes, but not very often, like once every 20th time I run it or so. I think it might be related to my data stucture. I stuff all the blocks into a so called red-black binary tree. Lots of pointer shuffling going on there. It's nice for quick handling of ordered data, O(log n) for insert/delete/search etc, but I'm not so sure it's really needed. In the final implementation I only keep at most 100 blocks at once ... I might try doing it without it and see if it goes away.

Humus said:
This time it's infinite terrain:
http://humus2.campus.luth.se/~humus/3D/infiniteterrain.jpg

The good news is that it runs on every hardware out there. The bad news is that it will run quite slowly on cards that doesn't support GL_ATI_vertex_array_object.

http://humus2.campus.luth.se/~humus/

very nice Humus!

I compared it on a 9700 Pro with DX8.1 vs. 9

DX 8.1 and 6200 driver = highest FPS 120 and lowest around 70

DX 9 RC0 and ATI BRC0 dx9 driver = highest FPS 190 and lowest 130

very very sweet

system specs

p4 @ 2.7Ghz (150fsb)
512mb ddr at 150
9700 pro default clocks

CPU: Thunderbird 1.2 oc'ed to 1.4
Video: Radeon 9700 Pro
DirectX: 8.1
Drivers: 6200

Did 25 to 37 fps at 1600x1200 with all options turned to highest (including 6x fsaa).

Minor problem during first few seconds: flashing whitish pattern on upper left quadrant. Then it went away and did not return.

deviantchild said:
The good news is that it runs on every hardware out there.

except the Kyro - but you must've known that!?

It should work on the Kyro too. The demo doesn't require any extensions, only pure OpenGL 1.1. It uses GL_ATI_vertex_array_object if available, but doesn't require it.

Yep, yet another nice one.

I think the ones saying that it's the best yet do so because it's the one with the largest most complete scene. (Easiest to imagine a game in that world.) But I personally like the tricky unusual technical demos better. :)

Btw, it seems as the normals aren't right on the edges of the "geometry tiles". The textures are tiled perfectly (which cannot be said for a lot of games), but the lightning isn't right. Isn't the neighbouring geometry tile concidered when calculating the normals?

And there's leaks between the geometry tiles when they have different geometry LOD. That's of course more difficult to solve if you want the tiles to be independent of each other. But maybe you could let the tiles overlap slightly (~one triangle in the highest datail LOD).

But anyway, nice demo. And at last one I can test. :)

Yes, first I just clamped against the edges when I calculated the normals, but I have fixed that now (haven't uploaded a new version though, still hunting the crash bug).
Yeah, I know there are leaks, but it's not very easy to spot unless you look for it. For this reason I don't use very aggressive LOD, so the leaks will only appear at some distance, hopefully behind closer geometry. It felt a little too much for a demo like this to properly handle this.

There's only one demo I'm looking forward to and that's one show exploiting every single 3D feature (and I mean every) of the most advanced video card available. That includes the max number of instructions, max loops, max PS storage, full use of all temp registers, ppe, etc etc etc ... in other words, something that tells us if all these specs are of any real use, even in a "simple" tech demo.

Guess this will never happen :)

Back