Thinking of upgrading my monitor in a reasonable way.

I haven't had much issues with freesync. I got some black flashes, but a little research showed it's a fault with Windows and 165Hz refresh rate. I bumped it down to 120Hz and it runs cooler too and I can't tell a difference.

Yup, a good monitor can be a far more significant upgrade in my experience than a new GPU.

Yup... /hugs LG CX. :)

I'm constantly amazed by it. Just the other day, I noticed the subtle black's in a guys T-shirt that are not there on my LCD but while subtle was easy to see on the OLED (LCD side monitor, OLED main monitor). No GPU could ever hope to replicate something like this since it's a limitation of LCD displays. Now that I've seen this subtle effect, the LCD looks so...flat...anytime I have something with different levels/shades of "black" or really dark colors on it.

Now I just REALLY need freaking GPU prices to come back down to earth so I can get one with HDMI 2.1. Either that or a high quality DP to HDMI 2.1 converter which the Club 3D converter most certainly is not.

Regards,
SB

The Dell 43" has gone through a few cycles of 'special low price' moving it from $1754 all the way down to $1701 local. (compare with eg the S3221QS getting specials dropping from 959 to 623)

I'm starting to think I should go for LG 43UN700-B, its available as low as $1034, apparently uses same panel as the Dell & generally specs are near identical.

Interesting wriggle: ASUS ROG STRIX XG438Q is currently quite a lot off at 1599 at one local store.
Its 120Hz & Freesync which is pretty tempting but its VA & I've seen some not very complementary stuff about its picture quality (a bunch of positive things too though)
Anyone got experience with this monitor?

Last edited:
I have the ASUS ROG STRIX XG438VQ which is similar (and cheaper) I think its fantastic (its also supports G-sync)
which i would guess is pretty similar, thing is of course i cant really compare it to any other monitor since I dont have them
ps: love how you can change all the settings from within windows with a mouse no messing with little buttons that you keep forgetting what they do

8Y8iq05.jpg

t7fiVqh.jpg

Last edited:
ps: love how you can change all the settings from within windows with a mouse no messing with little buttons that you keep forgetting what they do
That sounds heavenly and is one feature I now want that my monitor lacks! I had no idea, hope that's a trend that catches on more.

I HATE having to remember what button does what and just go by blind feel, my fingertips just aren't as sensitive and it can be a pain at times.

Then again is that really a reasonable monitor upgrade? Looks more like a, "Gimme the best you got with every option possible!", but I think that's more of a jealousy thing than an actual point.

What do you power that monster with?

What do you power that monster with?
A mains cable...
Seriously though a RTX 2070
(ps: its actually less resolution than a 4k and less than my previous setup which was 3x22" (1680x1050) @ 5292x1050)

Looks more like a, "Gimme the best you got with every option possible!"
No, that would be this which I was going to buy but then I realised that was going to be difficult to drive at native res
x33UHgh.jpg

Last edited:
Btw if you play games that often locks cutscene in 30 fps, look for monitor with vrr that able to go as low as 30 hz.

My lg CX only does down to 40 and every time destiny 2 goes to cutscene its tearing galore because destiny 2 cutscenes are locked at 30 fps

A mains cable...
Seriously though a RTX 2070
(ps: its actually less resolution than a 4k and less than my previous setup which was 3x22" (1680x1050) @ 5292x1050)

No, that would be this which I was going to buy but then I realised that was going to be difficult to drive at native res
x33UHgh.jpg

You needn't have worried. I run a 3840x1600 panel from a GTX 1070. Resolution scaling is great these days.

I think most Dell monitors can do this - Dell provide a little tool that uses DDC to control the monitor through Windows.

My 38" Dell has a built-in KVM which I use to switch between my desktop Mac and my Windows gaming PC. I've set up some key bindings, so switching video + USB inputs between the two in either direction is just a matter of a three-finger-salute. It's great!

just had a meeting with a contractor about getting our pool liner replaced and having our hot tub pulled and they'll fill it and concrete it.
Signed the contract that day, they expected to have it in within a week or two.

The contractor just got the liner from the factory today, they'll be installing it day after tomorrow. I've had a big, empty concrete pit with a pool of slime at the deep end since then. REALLY glad they're finally gonna get it in, but couldn't believe how long ago we started it all.

It was in this thread I mentioned it, so another bump. :p

Put in an order for LG 43UN700-B :yes:
Looks sweet and how I'd use a 4k monitor, as 4 1920x1080 desktops! :D

My pool liner is installed, filled, emptied, realigned, installed, filled, and I'm waiting for them to cut the jet openings so I can actually use it. Pools move in slow motion. :(

Yeah, but you're the gaming god...I'm just digi. :p

In other news they just came by and cut open my jets, re-installed an outlet, and approved of my filter/pump reassembly. Pool is filling now after a healthy dose of shock and I'm gonna see if I can't get her to fire up in a couple of hours when she has enough water. :D

Back