There is cake: Portal 2

Btw, Valve is handing out companion cube badges for use in Team Fortress 2 right now. May be unannounced preorder bonus...

there is no cake!!!!
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=953023
portalcake.jpg

That was an incredible cake. :D The bride and groom flinging through a portal is an incredible detail that just balances out the whole package.

If you're active on that web forum, please send some B3D congratulations and well wishes to the newlywed couple. :)

And, WHEE to waking up, idly wondering when Portal 2 will unlock, turning on the PC, making tea while it boots, and returning to see the game files busy unlocking themselves before my eyes...! :LOL:

It was a very long wait this weekend for the files to unlock, watching the Glados@Home bars slowly crawl across the screen. Sadly the game unlocked at about 5am UK time, so I wasn't able to be online for the conclusion of the countdown, which is a shame. Valve should really have started the countdown 2 or 3 days earlier, ending the game on saturday night / sunday morning, so that the rest of the world had a chance to be there at the end.

I have played the first 10-15 mins of the game, and it is pretty good so far.

this portal 2 ps3 get free PC make me confused....

in my country the PS3 is being sold @ 40USD.
and the pc version is still no where to be found....

but looking at steam Price, pc is 50USD...
btw in your country the pc retail disc is what price?

then when PC is also released on my country, then if ps3 is cheaper i'll just get the PS3. But i dont have a PS3. so how i unlock the PC version?

isn't that mean i can just redeem the code inside the PS3 gamebox to PC Steam?

can some one with PS3 and pc confirm this?
also can the PC and PS3 be online independently? (PC used to play MP, while the PS3 also used to play MP in the same time, even in coop)

thanks

isn't that mean i can just redeem the code inside the PS3 gamebox to PC Steam?

can some one with PS3 and pc confirm this?
also can the PC and PS3 be online independently? (PC used to play MP, while the PS3 also used to play MP in the same time, even in coop)

thanks

This was all already confirmed on the official Playstation Blog by someone from Valve, so I'd say that's how it works: you need to hook up your PS3 account to your Steam account. That's it. Everything including achievements will transfer, except trophies need to always be unlocked on the PS3. And since you're connecting your Steam account to your PSN account, the same rules apply as always, i.e. that you can't be logged in with your Steam account on more than one machine at a time.

thanks for the confirmations :D

i guess when PC and PS3 both released on my country, and PS3 cheaper. i will buy ps3 version, go to friend house, and use his PS3 with new PSN account tied to my steam account to activate :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-19-portal-2-review 10/10

There's simply too much game here for it never to falter – but it hardly ever does. It's so generous and complete, so satisfying in each moment and in the whole, that a momentary lull, an overused mechanic or a cheap gag seem like trivial flaws.

Portal is perfect. Portal 2 is not. It's something better than that. It's human: hot-blooded, silly, poignant, irreverent, base, ingenious and loving. It's never less than a pure video game, but it's often more, and it will no doubt stand as one of the best entertainments in any medium at the end of this year. It's a masterpiece.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/portal-2-review/

SIIWo.jpg

http://pc.ign.com/articles/116/1162215p1.html
27379967.jpg

http://www.giantbomb.com/portal-2/61-21662/reviews/
Valve falls further down its own rabbit hole with this expansive sequel that retains the cynical heart of the original Portal, while blowing out the scale on virtually every aspect of the execution.

I've fallen down the looong hole (so not to spoil anything for those who haven't played the game - this far anyway) and proceeded a bit further (
About to start on the third, or if it's the fourth test chamber inside the spheres
), and the game became a lot better IMO story-wise after you fall down the hole.

IMO you get the same WTF! feeling you first got after you managed to escape getting incinerated in the original Portal, it's like the game opens up and shows a different side of itself. I was getting a little bored with Glados' constant diarrhea of strained sarcasm and not-so-veiled insults, and then this happens. Very strange stuff! I was feeling Portal 2 was going to be a rather short game, but now there's all this other stuff and I don't know what's about to happen... Very interesting!

Technically this game's utterly brilliant. The graphics is for the most part extremely good, nice clean textures, high, or often VERY high detail models of both environments and objects, and it runs butter smooth without bogging down the graphics cards. They're downclocked to 500MHz, fans never rev up, and the game never seems to lose frames. It's locked at 60fps with vblank and triple buffer activated.

There's the accursed triple buffer pointer lag associated with all source engine games (and I don't know why that is), but P2 isn't a twitch shooter so it doesn't matter. A few times you see some surface that gets wonky lighting if you look at it from a certain angle, but these errors are few and far between - and I've spent a fair bit of time just admiring these fabulous maps and environments!

The graphics in P2 is just stunning, really. Kids today are so fucking spoiled, growing up with this kind of stuff, and Berzerk on the Atari VCS was my first impression of a games console... :LOL: (Anyway, I don't wanna slag the poor ol' VCS, its version of Berzerk had fabulous sound IMO, although it lacked the speech synthesis of the arcade, but what can you expect, really?)

Sound-wise, the music is even more reserved than in the original P; it's usually more like environmental background noise than actual music most of the time. During the action sequences you get the kind of speedy acid-like electronic stuff from the original, but during all other times it's very muted, withdrawn ambient stuff.

Sound effects are good of course, I don't like the new death sound of turrets falling over (it's too weird for me), but other than that it's very industrial, realistic stuff of mechanical devices, clangs, bangs and the like, like you would expect to find in...err...any Aperture Science Enrichment Center, really... :LOL:

It's the longevity I'm not sure about with this game. The test chambers somehow aren't quite as unique as the original (maybe I'm being a grumpy old geezer with rose-tinted glasses here), and once you've seen the story unfold fully (which I haven't yet), will there be incentive for further play? There's the coop mode of course, hopefully with its own story, so regardless there's more playability there, but right now I'm focused on the singleplayer experience.

It's certainly a considerably longer game than the original. It's already noticeably longer at the point I've reached, and I don't think the end is right around the corner. If it's as long as the epically lengthy Half-Life 2 I dunno (and frankly I doubt it), but there's more to see and do than in the original P that's for sure.

It's a really well-made game. All I hope for now is that there's a developer's commentary to unlock also once you finish it... It'd suck if there wasn't one, I've REALLY enjoyed Valve's commentaries ever since Lost Coast.

8/10 for sure, probably 9 once I finish (I reserve final judgement until I actually finish it); and this is a REAL score 8 btw, not those overinflated commercial review scores where a 7 means a game's utterly forgettable, basically. So 8 = really really great, 9 = almost flawless, and 10 would be unbelievably amazingly good, if not utter perfection itself. :LOL:

I lost a few hours on it tonight. So far so good. Very good. Very, VERY good.

I'm keeping light on discussions because I want to finish it on my own first. :)

my impressions with the game after I finished the single-player part in one long play-through (spoiler free):

fantastic game! well exceeded my expectations and really matured from the already brilliant "mini game" portal 1 was. you hear some moaning about the single-players length but in my experience it is well within the industries standard of about 8 hours for a first time play-through. as in every game that relies on puzzles as a gameplay element the faster you solve the puzzles the faster you finish the game but valve really showed a lot of diversity and hit the sweet spot between challenging and frustrating almost perfectly.

I don't know why but for some reason I absolutely love the look of source engine games. There are a few blurry textures, but other than that the game looks stunning. While the Source-Engine looks heavily outdated on paper valve still managed to produce a great looking game. I guess a large part is personal preference but many newer engines just have an artificial look that somehow doesn't give you the clean and almost natural look the source engine provides. I recently played through Half-Life 2 again with some fan made high-res textures and other small improvements and the game looked absolutely fantastic.

I'm looking forward to play some coop tonight!

Innovative level design together with carefully crafted assets, like textures, models, animations & etc., alone can have significant overall impact. And I'm not including the graphics engine (DX9) capabilities in the mix.
I really hope Valve are working on a DX11 implementation of Source -- just imagine all that design and art talent expanded by the latest technology.

Well I fell down the tube with the potato. Gotta love the atmoSphere. Oh and the chords you hear when bouncing on that blue stuff are a nice touch :)

All of you with wonderful impression of portal 2 really make me envious >_<
the PC version still not release in my country. 21 May is the fastest date according to several game seller i asked :(

and the pirated version already being sold here and there, everywhere on my country.. ugh...

Hmm, not so sure about the game engine. Sure the art is nice and they have pretty good shadows this time around, but the ligthing really isn't very good at all..and OMG loading screen every 3 minutes is ridiculous!!! It seems like the companys that have great tech can't make a good game...and the companies that make good games have ancient outdated tech. Is it too much to ask for both?!

Back