There is cake: Portal 2

Has nothing to do with the thread, just feel like promoting the funnest machinima I've ever seen:
(Yeah, it's not new and you may have seen it long ago already... So what? :D)

Is the first one worth buying ? Seems alot for $20 bucks. I hear the game can be completed in 2 to 3 hours

Is the first one worth buying ? Seems alot for $20 bucks. I hear the game can be completed in 2 to 3 hours

Its not 2-3 hours, it's more than that. It's certainly a unique experience, it's quite a bit of fun, quite humorous and well written with a lot of personality and polish. It's a 3D puzzle game, but very well put together. It's a great little game.

There's a free demo on Steam, and the full version is £13.99 (dunno what they are charging in dollars), or you can wait till it's on sale.

It may be more than 2-3 hours the first time you run through it. Once you've figured out each map, subsequent runs will be (much) faster of course.

That said though, and even if it was only 2-3 hours of playtime, it'd still be worth it. Portal is such a different class of game it's truly genre-defining. It's first person, but it's not a first-person SHOOTER. It's an entirely different kind of beastie. Absolutely worth the money, you'd be crazy not to buy and play it... :)

The writing, visual design, level design, music, mood - it's all REALLY really slick.

it would be worth it at $50! It really is the most remarkable game to come out in years. The story, audio, visuals, gameplay, etc, are all pretty engaging. Well well worth it at $20!

it would be worth it at $50! It really is the most remarkable game to come out in years. The story, audio, visuals, gameplay, etc, are all pretty engaging. Well well worth it at $20!

An alternative opinion to all the gushing praise for eastmen: It's not worth 20$/€. Yes, it's a 2 hour romp and not very challenging either (the advanced challenges are but they're also a bit gimmicky). It's a good timewaster but get it through Orange Box; much better value that way.

Oh my god, that looks incredible. That last scene in the 3rd video looked incredibly complicated. A bunch of new interactions, very high production value, engine enhancements, high detail and nice lighting. They are going to sell so many copies.

Does anyone think it's possible we're seeing sub-division surfaces in these videos? Valve has implemented them in source and maybe with dx11 hardware in the wild they'll be using them in realtime. There are a lot of curved surfaces around in these videos...

How come that Gabe Newell survived a trip to the Sony E3 press conference? At the very least, the crowd should have turned him into bacon for his statements about the PS3.

Back