The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

BTW, no pre order for me anywhere :( sold out everywhere in our area ! Well, good for them, congrats CDPR, bad for me. Will have to hunt on launch day !

Meh.:no:
How is anyone supposed to make an informed choice like that.
I would have preferred to see the events of previous Witcher maybe even in a short comic and then decide based on what I saw.

how the hell can anyone know anything about these choices and what they mean for Witcher 3 ??!?!?! WTH :runaway:
I should have known something was wrong when I also got confused after watching the video. As I said I have both The Witcher previous titles, and from the little I played The Witcher 2 -barely played TW2 'cos my computer couldn't run it when I purchased it and the X360 version was given for free quite recently as part of XBL games with gold, but I am into the XO now and barely touch the360-, I still prefer the first The Witcher very much, it was surprisingly good. I have good memories of that game. Plus I found the great GoG after purchasing it.

Having it on the Xbox 360 I could know what is going on in the second iteration of the game, because X360 users will be also able to use the gamesave in order to keep their choices, afaik, but a comic like in Mass Effect 2 wouldn't hurt for people like us. I quite liked the attitude and the attire of the characters asking you the questions though.

Anyone interested in the books should read stories first, as they set background for the saga. First part "Last wish" is availabe and second part "Sword of destiny" is due to be relased in May this year by Gollancz. Then there is the saga, which except for the last parts has been released in english, but there is a fan translation of missing parts. And then there "Season of storms" which has been released fairy recently and takes place somewhere between the short stories. I recommend to read it last, only if you finished saga and still want more
Nice, food for thought, I will see what book to get first, I am thankful. I am going to binge on mysteries and tradition this summer, and while I have plenty to choose from on my own bookshelves, I can never resist the temptation of the new.

I had never heard of The Witcher before the first game, my favourite to date and its folklore roots, as a fan of local folklore and cultural legacy of any place which has that -not every place in the world does, but you know what I mean-, it's something I am looking forward to reading.

I am not going to have much free time this summer, except at night, I won't be seeing my gf either because of schedules and stuff, it'll be work-house, house-work, rinse and repeat so it will be a good time to read those books when I can and play some videogames.

Last edited:
I think you are seeing things that aren't there :). The vampire said that in the past times no amount of coin would have convinced a witcher to take this contract, while the background music turns more menacing. It clearly portraits that this is so due to the threat level she poses. Geralt however is willing to be different and take on this threat. There really is no regret or remorse from Geralt there as far as I can see, not much anyway and Geralt didn't say anything about not taking this contract in the past.

Sure as I've said, that's one way of looking at it...

But the whole thing leading up to the fight.

Code:
Vampire: <singing>
Geralt: Nice Tune (in conversational tone), been awhile since I've heard it last (friendly tone).
Vampire: Folk have forgotten it (matter of fact tone).
Geralt: Got (pause), other things on their mind.
Vampire: Things like me (sad lilt at the end).
Geralt: (sad sigh) They paid me for you (regret).
Vampire: (small laugh) Times past no amount of coin would convince a witcher to take this contract (menacing tone halfway through sentence as combat is now inevitable)
Geralt: Times have changed (steeled resolve now that combat is imminent).

As mentioned before, Witchers, including Geralt have killed Vampires in the past. What makes taking this contract different than ones before? Yes, not all Witchers would have taken on the contract, because not all Witchers have the same level of skill and power. But Geralt isn't the only Witcher to have killed vampires in the past. IIRC Geralt isn't even the most powerful Witcher to have existed.

So, yeah like many good films, it's open to interpretation. To me, there's obviously regret over this. But Geralt isn't going to allow that to distract him and get him killed. Likewise the vampire feels sadness at what is to come, but steels herself against it in order to try to win.

Regards,
SB

Sure as I've said, that's one way of looking at it...

But the whole thing leading up to the fight.

Code:
Vampire: <singing>
Geralt: Nice Tune (in conversational tone), been awhile since I've heard it last (friendly tone).
Vampire: Folk have forgotten it (matter of fact tone).
Geralt: Got (pause), other things on their mind.
Vampire: Things like me (sad lilt at the end).
Geralt: (sad sigh) They paid me for you (regret).
Vampire: (small laugh) Times past no amount of coin would convince a witcher to take this contract (menacing tone halfway through sentence as combat is now inevitable)
Geralt: Times have changed (steeled resolve now that combat is imminent).

As mentioned before, Witchers, including Geralt have killed Vampires in the past. What makes taking this contract different than ones before? Yes, not all Witchers would have taken on the contract, because not all Witchers have the same level of skill and power. But Geralt isn't the only Witcher to have killed vampires in the past. IIRC Geralt isn't even the most powerful Witcher to have existed.

So, yeah like many good films, it's open to interpretation. To me, there's obviously regret over this. But Geralt isn't going to allow that to distract him and get him killed. Likewise the vampire feels sadness at what is to come, but steels herself against it in order to try to win.

Regards,
SB
You are such a geek. :)

Took the plunge and pre-ordered the game with a deal.

PC 5k images

http://imgur.com/gallery/f8jHQ (all the pictures, full resolution, here)

NEBA2Zu.jpg

TWMxOER.jpg
k8hb4Gb.jpg
Je1ehVu.jpg

PS4-Xbox One comparison.

dbf175a750.jpg
879003bb08.jpg

Video of the comparison: http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_ps4_xb1_comparison_v_1_01_-34665_en.html

Xbox One version images (Kinect disabled as you can see). Recommended to enlarge the image :smile2:

CmcSVNl.jpg

efn46PG.jpg

Last edited:
Gamersyde put a livestream last night [it's available for streaming now]. They've shown both Xbone and PS4 version of the game, and talked at length how Xbone has constant framerate issues. Xbone>PS4 switch happens at around 16min mark.

I get the feeling this one is more formidable than a generic vampire.

I don't see it as regret, but Geralt just doing his business. It's not personal, he is there because of the coin. That is all. He wouldn't bother her if he didn't have the contract. I admit I missed the "sigh" before Geralt says "they paid me for you", but it doesn't change much imo. This is what Geralt does, he is a mercenary and physically altered monster hunter. This is not the first cute looking monster he has come across.

I don't think the conflict lies within Geralt, but is orchestrated to exist within the viewer. When the trailer begins we don't know the woman is a vampire, she is portrayed as a lovely women singing about people fearing monsters and in the end about monsters fearing Witchers. She is being portrayed as a monster and a victim for us to feel conflicted, but Geralt knows where he is coming in to and imo for him it's little more than a brutal day at the office. He's just not being an asshole about it, he already knows things aren't black and white.

Gamersyde put a livestream last night [it's available for streaming now]. They've shown both Xbone and PS4 version of the game, and talked at length how Xbone has constant framerate issues. Xbone>PS4 switch happens at around 16min mark.

I'm watching this video and it's at the start, 2:48 in and the chap is saying, "Because as you can see, the Xbox One version, while at least so far, no problem. It's not smooth at all." And I'm thinking, what are you talking about!?! It's fine. I believe all the framerate criticism on console versions but not only does it not bother me but I have to really concentrate to spot it.

Tearing on the other hand, zero tolerance. :nope:

Little details developers paid attention in this game are fantastic!
Check this video around 10m mark, when one of the readers asks if they can try AARD on the water. :O

I'm watching this video and it's at the start, 2:48 in and the chap is saying, "Because as you can see, the Xbox One version, while at least so far, no problem. It's not smooth at all." And I'm thinking, what are you talking about!?! It's fine. I believe all the framerate criticism on console versions but not only does it not bother me but I have to really concentrate to spot it.

Tearing on the other hand, zero tolerance. :nope:

Also it's worth mentioning that at least with my set-up of XBOX and SKY + AV/Receiver I can get frame rate inconsistency depending on which game or app I ran previously. For example when I ran YT and Amazon Prime app, sometimes this makes even the simplest games like Child of Light or Halo Remastered to skip frame like crazy! I have to switch between various apps or restart XBOX to get rid of it! It looks like their stream, but this might be just because of streaming.

whats 5k ?
ps: there's already a mod out for pc which tones down the over saturated look

Actually , thats the only thing needed. in fact, CDPR should let us have a slider, the game has become too oversaturated now. Just like that Dragn Age. The initial reveal had muted more natural colours, now its in the toony range. The only thing I don't like about the visuals. Wish I could tone down the saturation o the ps4 version too. My head imagines the WItcher Universe in lesser vibrant colours when I am reading the books!

Just find out my girlfriend cancelled the Amazon order and went with the digital pre-order.

WHY, GIRLFRIEND, WHY!?!

Oh, you're work from home on Tuesday? Fair enough. She promised she won't play any campaign missions before I get home. Yeah, right! :nope:

Never been much of a fantasy game player. Probably last fantasy game I played was Ultima Underworld. :) Anyway, absolutely loved Red Dead Remption even though I never played a western game before. The storytelling & open world totally sold it. I'm wondering if The Witcher 3 might give me a similar experience? I don't need anymore games, but I'm getting a RDR2 bug & I'm not sure I can wait any longer.

Tommy McClain

Back